Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one had problems with their driven shaft bearing on the chain case side, last year on my 03 F7 snopro efi I had the bearing basicly explode around 2800 miles, this year i bought a 03 F5 and I have 2900 miles on it and the same thing happend, and I find it hard to believe it is only happening to me, this time when the bearing went the chain case oil sprayed the brake disk and i could not stop or go and when it happens on a lake at WOT its not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PBrewer @ Feb 14 2007, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Has any one had problems with their driven shaft bearing on the chain case side, last year on my 03 F7 snopro efi I had the bearing basicly explode around 2800 miles, this year i bought a 03 F5 and I have 2900 miles on it and the same thing happend, and I find it hard to believe it is only happening to me, this time when the bearing went the chain case oil sprayed the brake disk and i could not stop or go and when it happens on a lake at WOT its not a good thing.[/b]
Trust me... it isn't just happening to you! :lol:
I think you'll find that 99% of the '03 Firecat owners have changed this bearing by choice or necessity. I got paranoid a couple years ago and checked mine before a trip... it was toast. Probably about 1000 miles on the sled at that time.

The bearing design is faulty on the '03s. They had a groove built into the bearing for the o-ring to sit in, but that groove weakened the bearing. They start cracking in that groove, and you know the rest.

For the 2004 model the part was updated to a more "standard" bearing design.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That grove that you speak of, is it in the inner race or the outter race? The reason why I ask is I just opened up my chaincase, removed the bearings, and I noticed they have an oring in the inner race, to seal on the driven shaft. I called my local cat dealer for replacement bearings, and he said that the new NTN bearings do not have the inner race Oring. Wouldn't it leak with no oring on the inner race to shaft position? Also, my sled is a 2004 F6 EFI, not early build.......

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (frofro666 @ Feb 14 2007, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That grove that you speak of, is it in the inner race or the outter race?[/b]
It was on the outer race. When I replaced the bearing, the new one had nothing on the inside... just like you mentioned. I put it on and it did leak a bit. Nothing major, but checking the chain case was always on my mind. Later the following summer I tore it down again and put a little silicone in it... hasn't leaked since then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When i replaced mine last year i put red rtv sealent on the outer race and i had no problems with leaks, was there ever a recall for the 03 bearings, the machiend slot is a definate design flaw because the outter race fractures right along it.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Like Wicked King says...You're not the only one here...My lady and I have 2 F7's, One with Standard and Sno-Pro. 1.5 years ago, My Sno-Pro's bearings went and fluid leaked on the garage floor at approx. 1,400 miles while my lady's at 1,800 miles with no problems. I bought all the necessary items and changed them both at the same time. Just a peace of my mind so we can ride through the winter trouble free. I dunno

1 - 7 of 7 Posts