Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Arctic cat eltigre 500l/c
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I bought what I thought was an 86 eltigre 530 . ( That’s what it was advertised as ) For parts.
turn out it’s a 1988 , I can’t find out anywhere what kind drive clutch is on it . It says Arctic cat on it but no numbers on the front cover. I want to order a clutch puller for it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Hey guys, I bought what I thought was an 86 eltigre 530 . ( That’s what it was advertised as ) For parts.
turn out it’s a 1988 , I can’t find out anywhere what kind drive clutch is on it . It says Arctic cat on it but no numbers on the front cover. I want to order a clutch puller for it.
Thanks
Can ya post a pic of the clutch? That will help identify it.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
So it this equivalent or is a 108c comet?
Well, that's what I'm not 100% sure about. I think it could be the same, which would use the same puller as the Comet. Everything i looked at showed to be the same, but that's why i suggested to call MFG supply and ask and make sure. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one is on my 80 eltigre. And it’s not set up properly. I would also like to know the model. The hole is definitely smaller which would need a different puller.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Sports equipment Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Looks to be a Comet 102c with a solid cover., which would be a smaller puller. You can still get the solid covers from Wahl Racing. They provide more strength than the stock 102c cover.

·
Administrator
2,726 Posts
comet style clutch, some use smaller dia puller that threads into the entire center post, some the larger puller that only threads into the end of the post. you can take a look to see if the smaller id is threaded, but I see that the large dia threads are there

·
Registered
644 Posts
I hate to say it, but probably your best bet would be to take it to a dealer and have them pull it off for you. Arctic Cat changed the design of that era clutches several times, and without having the sled right in front of me it's really hard to say which puller you need - at least it is for me anyhow. It's too bad you don't live close to me. I have about every Cat clutch puller made, I'd gladly pull it off for you. Every time I get a sled from that era to work on I have to shuffle through my toolbox trying to find the right puller to fit. It's kind of frustrating sometimes!

Hopefully you can take it to a dealer kind enough to show and tell you what puller they use, then you can buy the right one for yourself.

Oh - and yes, they are similar to a Comet 108.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hate to say it, but probably your best bet would be to take it to a dealer and have them pull it off for you. Arctic Cat changed the design of that era clutches several times, and without having the sled right in front of me it's really hard to say which puller you need - at least it is for me anyhow. It's too bad you don't live close to me. I have about every Cat clutch puller made, I'd gladly pull it off for you. Every time I get a sled from that era to work on I have to shuffle through my toolbox trying to find the right puller to fit. It's kind of frustrating sometimes!

Hopefully you can take it to a dealer kind enough to show and tell you what puller they use, then you can buy the right one for yourself.

Oh - and yes, they are similar to a Comet 108.
That’s what I was thinking then I can order the right puller for each of them. Between the 2 which one would you use ? Or which of the 2 is the better one?
Thank you

·
Registered
644 Posts
Personally, I think the Cat clutch is a little better than the 108. It will really depend on how good a shape the Cat clutch is in as to whether or not you can use it. There aren't many parts available for those any more, but they still make about everything for the 108.

My personal favorite is either a Cat 6 tower or 9 tower driver. Unfortunately, Textron isn't producing either parts or complete units of those any more either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally, I think the Cat clutch is a little better than the 108. It will really depend on how good a shape the Cat clutch is in as to whether or not you can use it. There aren't many parts available for those any more, but they still make about everything for the 108.

My personal favorite is either a Cat 6 tower or 9 tower driver. Unfortunately, Textron isn't producing either parts or complete units of those any more either.
Ok thank you for your response

·
Administrator
2,726 Posts

Ok thank you for your response
IMHO
The fixed pin/big pin/setscrew clutch is far superior to any ac clutch with bushings in the weights.... It lasts several times longer, and doesn't require all the maintenance the others do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts