Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found an odd problem. i took my 600 out for its first 10 miles and heard a grinding sound and noticed that the take off was almost non existant. i got home to find my primary was loose so i torqued it back to 55 ftlbs and went again. within the next mile it happened again so i retorqued it. once again in the next mile it happened. the shop manual doesnt mention anything about loctite but would this affect the ftlbs if i applied it and if so what should it be torqued to?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Try some Loctite Green. That should keep that bolt snugged down. Are you using a lockwasher under the bolt head? May want to try that too. You certainly don't want that clutch to become separate from the crank snout or you will have a lot more to worry about than torquing a bolt and using some Loctite!

Good luck.

FYI: Loctite doesn't affect torque/bolt yield; it just glues the threads together.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
true, very true. ive been lucky because ive been testing it at slow speeds.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
found a new problem. the two sheves will move independant from each other for about 1/8 turn. the sheve closest to the motor is hot but the other is warm. looks like i may have to pull it and look for something loose.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Maybe clutch rebuild/replace time. How many miles on that primary? Possibly a broken spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I remember correctly, most drive clutches are torqued at 75ftlbs. One tech tip, once you have the bolt torqued, tap the bolt with a hammer a few times, then re-torque at the same 75ftlbs, this will ensure that the clutch is properly seated and may even allow you to tighten the bolt just a little more....55ftlbs seems a little light but maybe that is the correct torque specs - checking with your dealer or consulting with the clutch manufacturer (i.e. Comit Clutches) is the best bet..... Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i decided since i was planning on a long ride tomorrow due to the crap load of snow we got this week that i would run the clutch up to the dealer. he found that the threads on the spider were bad, total bill was 202. now im just waiting for the loctite to set and i will give it a try. my shop manual said to torque to 50 - 55 ftlbs so im sure its good, i will try the tap thing before the first run.
thanks for all the quick replys.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that was the problem. i went for a 65 mile ride tonight, when i got home i rechecked the torque and it was dead on. i guess i caught it before the granade went off, bet my luck isnt that good again lol. i also noticed my engagement is different. i used to engage at 6500 even when new, now i engage at 5500 with the same clutch kit after the new spider....hmmm. i may have had a problem from the day the kit was installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts