Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy's 2002 ZL 600 EFI ESR toasted a drive shaft bearing AGAIN (speedo side)
3 one since new or about one every 2000 miles.

Questions.

Is this normal mileage for that bearing to go?
Any tricks to change the bearing plus inner and outer bearing holder without removing the rear skid?
Should I change the chain case side [bearing] again?

Any help or thoughts might help

·
Registered
744 Posts
I seem to trash them pretty regularly too....so it is fairly normal based on my experiences and conversations I've had with other guys about this.......some people get many more miles out of them for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've never had one fail, but I change them every pre season,ride about 3000 miles/year and grease them each time I go on a major ride. I suppose you could change them without dropping the skid, but I think it would be more trouble that way. :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
loosen the tension on the track

unbolt the speedo side

and unbolt the chaincase side(got to open the chaincase btw)

take sprockets and chain off

push driveshaft toward the chaincase

the speedo side should drop and pull out

I did it this way last year with removing the skid

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
get the bearing number.Go to a bearing house pick up after market bearing .you can repack the bearing you can remove the seal[be very carfull]use a good low temp grease..I get a needle probe for my greese gun push it threw the seal pump good grease into new bearing[lots of sealed bearings have very little grease in them].then seal the hole with silicon.I run my trak as loose as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts