Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
40,745 Posts
Terry I know that you also have the 500 so your rollers should be 25grams too, but something needs to be considered about drilling holes.
Now I may be wrong about this but I'm thinking that "one size is not going to fit all".
What I mean is that since the rollers are all the same width then the weight difference is going to be in the thickness of the steel sleeve, so the weight reduced by drilling a certain size hole in one roller is not going to be the same as it would in a roller of a different weight "thickness".

If someone knows better please chime in and let me know so I don't sound like I'm talking out my a$$ about this.
No, I think you are right.You need a base line weight to start,so you will have to weigh all your rollers seperatly to start.If they are all 19.5gr you are good to go.If not you will have to drill smaller or larger to compensate for weight differences at your baseline.The most important thing is to make sure they are exactly the same weight when done.Balance is important and I think WYO stated that his stock rollers were out by quite a bit.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
let me know how it works out. I'm talking to airdam about stage 2 right now so I am going to order that when he gets back to me. Ill get a 7/32 drill bit and drill 4 holes in each roller to get to 17.5 grams and see how it works out. I only run 26" swamplites now but when I go to 28" msts I will probably put in a stiffer secondary spring also.
If all possible I would weigh your stock steel inserts before you start drilling to make sure they are 19.5 that way you will know you get a 17.5 after you drill them. I would think they would be the same as mine but I would check to be sure

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Good point, only just read wyos post about his stock rollers being out of balance I figured that they would be perfectly balanced from the factory. Guess not :S

Since I am lightening up the roller two grams. Replacing them with the tcat rollers would essentially be the same thing as buying the 17.5 gram daltons. May just buy the tcat rollers. If i can find access to a scale I will just go ahead and lighten them myself

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Good point, only just read wyos post about his stock rollers being out of balance I figured that they would be perfectly balanced from the factory. Guess not :S

Since I am lightening up the roller two grams. Replacing them with the tcat rollers would essentially be the same thing as buying the 17.5 gram daltons. May just buy the tcat rollers. If i can find access to a scale I will just go ahead and lighten them myself
Terry, If you have access to a set of reloading scales I can give you the numbers to convert the grains to grams.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So far I love the lighter rollers. It seems that it just bumped the rpm just enough to make the 500 pull strong going up the long steep hills. May of lost a few mph on top but well worth it. It's not like I am some wild road warrior anyway:lol:

Reactions: doorfx

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update:: well I done some more riding today so I was able to really test the new weights. I done alot of mix riding from trails and hills to 15 miles of road driving. I can say the 17.5 weights are wonderful for the trail and hills, now for the road it wasn't so great. so I'm not sure where to go from here. I can say I would never go back to the stock weight just because of how sluggish it was on hills. I think I'm going to do some more experimenting because I have another stock set of rollers. I was thinking of drilling them to lighten them by 1 gram each rather than 2 each. So basicly I will just drill 2 holes rather than 4 and see how that works. It may get my speed back some but still give me the low end power like I want. If not I will just go back to the 17.5 weights and not worry about the road riding speeds.

Reactions: doorfx

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Before you drill the others, just install 4 of the stock weight rollers along with 4 of your lighten ones and see how that feels.
Stagger them up like this:
light, heavy, light, heavy, light, heavy, light, heavy.

·
Administrator
40,745 Posts
Update:: well I done some more riding today so I was able to really test the new weights. I done alot of mix riding from trails and hills to 15 miles of road driving. I can say the 17.5 weights are wonderful for the trail and hills, now for the road it wasn't so great. so I'm not sure where to go from here. I can say I would never go back to the stock weight just because of how sluggish it was on hills. I think I'm going to do some more experimenting because I have another stock set of rollers. I was thinking of drilling them to lighten them by 1 gram each rather than 2 each. So basicly I will just drill 2 holes rather than 4 and see how that works. It may get my speed back some but still give me the low end power like I want. If not I will just go back to the 17.5 weights and not worry about the road riding speeds.
Or you could get stg 2-5 done by/// that will get you back your top end and then some. Plus you will keep all your bottom end.:lol::lol:Cat happy

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Before you drill the others, just install 4 of the stock weight rollers along with 4 of your lighten ones and see how that feels.
Stagger them up like this:
light, heavy, light, heavy, light, heavy, light, heavy.
Ahh correct me if I'm wrong but doing this would be the same thing as drilling them with only two holes rather than 4? Am I on the same page?

·
Administrator
40,745 Posts
Ahh correct me if I'm wrong but doing this would be the same thing as drilling them with only two holes rather than 4? Am I on the same page?
I would go back to the stock rollers with ///stage 1.Start from there as it will give you a base line to go with,you might find you like it.You know what 17.5 feels like ,so somewhere in the middle might be perfect for you.Did you have just stage 1 done?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I would go back to the stock rollers with ///stage 1.Start from there as it will give you a base line to go with,you might find you like it.You know what 17.5 feels like ,so somewhere in the middle might be perfect for you.Did you have just stage 1 done?
yes I just had the stage 1 done. Just for kicks I went out and used 4 of the stock and 4 of the 17.5 rollers. I just went for a quick spin down the road and it does feel better. Haven't had a chance to see how the power feels on hill climbs. So does the stage 1 only effect right off the start?

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
yes I just had the stage 1 done. Just for kicks I went out and used 4 of the stock and 4 of the 17.5 rollers. I just went for a quick spin down the road and it does feel better. Haven't had a chance to see how the power feels on hill climbs. So does the stage 1 only effect right off the start?
Yea pretty much just the low end.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
ok so is staggering the rollers with stock and lighter one the same thing as drilling all of them? I guess I mean now with them staggered I am 8 grams total lighter than stock using the stock 19.4 and the lightened 17.4. I can also get the 8 grams lighter by just drilling all the stock rollers. So does it matter how I get the weight loss or does one way work better than the other? To me it would end up with the same results but what you guys think?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Yes staggared is the same affect as drilling them all...But if i were you id be putting all 17s in it with those heavy tires

·
Administrator
40,745 Posts
If you want the best of both worlds then get 2-5 /// done.It will keep your bottom end where it is , but get you a whole ton of top end.Most of us with smaller cc's are more concerned with bottom end than speed.You have to decide if you want to spend the $$$ to get it all or be happy with the bottom end.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I am thinking of having Adam do the fixed plate mod for me. I have 2 extra plates on hand

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Yes staggared is the same affect as drilling them all...But if i were you id be putting all 17s in it with those heavy tires

Well not exactly the same but close, the clutch with act a little different with a light/heavy combo weighing 140 grams total then it would if it has all 8 equal weight rollers weighing the same 140 grams.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I think I may pick up an extra set of stock rollers and start experimenting. Anyone have a set of stock rollers for sale?

·
Administrator
40,745 Posts
I think I may pick up an extra set of stock rollers and start experimenting. Anyone have a set of stock rollers for sale?
LOLOLOL trade you for a stock exhaust.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well not exactly the same but close, the clutch with act a little different with a light/heavy combo weighing 140 grams total then it would if it has all 8 equal weight rollers weighing the same 140 grams.
Can you explain the difference? Does one combo shift out faster than the other or something?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts