Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever tried drilling and tapping there ball joints so you can insert a grease zerk in them,dont know if it will work or not ? I dunno

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
If you would have asked about 2 months ago, I could have given you 2 used ball joints to play with. I tossed them away. And still had a clunk in the front end. It ended up being a bad shock that was topping out and making a loud sound, not really hurting anything but it annoyed the heck out of me. 2 new front shocks and no more clunk..... I like your idea though...............tigger

·
Registered
75 Posts
definatly worth a shot jim! :chug:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
should be able to... give it a try ... if it dosen't work, they can be replaced... hopefully with greasable aftermarket ball joints...

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
accuately i just went through the whole front end of my v2, new bushings (all except wyocats shock bushing i allready have in) to try to get rid of what i thought but wanted to make sure and front end clunk after riding semi-fast. turns out i was correct and it was my shocks which i am working on replacing (works), if they would only call back.....

but anyway i went through and greased my upper/lower balljoints and got a little in the tierod ends with a needle grease atachment thingy, i'll get a picture up tonight but didn't go crazy pumping them full just until the rubber had a nice round "full" look/feel to it, just like you would do to your car/truck when greasing it. seemed to work good minus my crappy grease gun that wouldn't stay on the fitting well. did this figureing a little grease wouldn't hurt much and if anything help and play that was in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I tried it on my Wolverine since Yamaha does not make them seviceable and my boots got ripped. Anyway it does notwork from the top as there is not enough meat to thread one in and the barbed hammer in type did not work since I had to cut off so much the internal ball check came out. I did not want to try and drill through the side of my A-arm where there was more steel as I was in a hurry to go riding. I just plan to use a needle like mentioned above.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
thought about doing my cv boots also but not sure if a pin hole would affect it and definately going to take a while to pump into them, trick is to pump slow only a tiny hole in the needle.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried it but it seems that the ball fits into the socket,so tight that it wouldn't let grease past the ball. It didn't fill the boot at all. But no problem drilling and tapping them. I have a needle like you mentioned kevin that is what i used on my tie-rod ends.I removed the snap ring that holds the boot on and shot the grease in there then re-installed snap ring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts