Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having the 660ft drags this weekend, my buddies got a 1999 1000 T-CAT he wants to enter, he's in need of a good clutch setup and i wasn't sure what to tell him. the sled is all stock but has a rumple pack silencer, he's about 180pds, we're at about 1000ft. The races are Saturday and we don't have alot of time to play with it being at work all week. Help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
are you willing to re-gear?? if not, focus on your launches.. strap the front down and tighten up the limters on the front of the rear skid.... maybe try a steaper helix (60-40) .. at 660 with stock gearing your not going to have to worry about full shift, but you want the motor to pull and build good heat in the pipes... good 87 octane gas(no ethenol)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most drag races are won or lost in the first 60 feet. Not too many people can chase down a 1000 cc thundercat after it gets rolling. You have to focus on TRACTION. If you have a standard track on there you are going to need about 240 drag picks at least one inch long that have a very slender profile if you are on ice. If you are on a little bit more of a torn up surface use chisels, maybe 192 of them will work. Don't take a knife to a gunfight, meaning don't go race a bunch of guys and take a sled that has 192 worn out carbide trail studs because it will be very ugly. Traction first, then make sure you have a nice new belt and adjust the secondary until the belt is very tight while parked almost to the point of making the sled creep a little. That is about all you can do other than maybe jetting it for the temps outside and 660 ft runs. Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thatnx for the help boys, yah he's willing to re-gear the sled, i myself have a few gears laying around so i can help him out in that stage, also i forget to mention, the sled was bought off a older guy and it only has 96 studs, so about 100 more would be his best bet i think.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yup, you thought correct... i would drill holes, install drag picks, race it on the ice and then take the pics back out.. if he can live without the studs on the trail, thats good, but save the nice drag picks for the ice, NO TRAIL RIDING ON THE PICKS... they will dull so fast and be nothing but extra weight...

start by either testing in 660' or try a 20/39 for starters.. good place to start..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
20/39 sounds pretty good, stock gearing is 24/40 i believe, its a .615 ratio anyway, big jump from .615 to the 20/39 .512 gears. the clutching is the question, the stock primary spring is sliver which has a very weak engagment, 54.5 gr wieghts, yellow secondary with 57/50 helix. we were up trying different setups with the secondary spring, tried a red secondary but didn't make much difference, bought 100 more studs and put 96 of them in so he has 192 in total. was still pulling him off the line till about half way on my z440 sno pro, he was kinda getting fusterated seeing i was 2-3 sleds lengths behind him at the finish line.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
well whats your tach doing? engagement, rpms when pulling the load and rpms when shifting... the T-cat should be up in the high 8's to almost 9's with pipes.... are you over-reving it?
do you have some video?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
if you want to do some clutching.... try cat orange/white spring with polaris 62g weights... 60/50 helix with cat red/white... loose snow 24-39, hard pack 23-40 gears....

BM...

·
Registered
154 Posts
im having a problem with traction on my 98 zrt as well. the skiis are off the ground too much. would tightening my limiter straps help keep the nose down? That would also be somthing too look at with this thundercat, what size are the paddles on the track?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
his track is a 1" with 192 studs, not surprised my sled pulls his off the start the 440sno pros gotta alot of pep out of the hole, but i figure it should have more than 2-3 sled ngths on me at the end. we will try that setup you said though blackmax, thanx. the races didn't happen this weekend, not sure why but this buys us more time to play with it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.