Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there are these two F7's that i cant beat in 660'ft. both 03's; both have TEAM secondaries. other than the TEAM clutches, they are identical to my 03.

the best i can do with my F7 is smoke them out of the hole (leading the race) up to 400-500ft and then i lose the race by 1-2 sled lengths in 660'ft. every damn time! its so frustrating you have no idea. ive changed every part of my clutching/gearing set up(s) exept the helix/spring combo. my question is this!? is shifting out the reason they always pull me at the end?

P.S. - please dont say "buy and ODS clutch kit". hahaha. that is what im running right now. its mops up every single sled up EXEPT these two sleds. so my question is more theory than "what do i need to buy".
bang your head

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What are you pulling for R's?? Ice or snow? Need more details.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Buy the same 800 kit they've installed................

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
super hard packed snow/ frozen ground. also lost on ice by same margin. running 7700rpm.

p.s. - they arent 800's!! haha. good one though.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
7700 R's sounds pretty good to me.

There are several things you can try that may or may not work.

Higher gearing, heavier tipped weights, steeper finish on helix. Lots of things to try.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im headed out saturday for some testing. gonna try a steeper finish angle on the helix. i have a couple of helixes laying around the shop. im not sure just how steep i can go before slipping the belt but im gonna try a 58/52. i also have a 62/54 to try. im gonna have to play around with different spings im sure but i think i good place to start is with a heavier spring and work backwards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mark the top of your primary vertically down about an inch and then run the sled wide open, check to see how high your belt is rising and go from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Boys! I am getting ready to drag with my zr 440 and ia m running a 660ft ? What gearing should i be using. I have the stock sno cross gearing in now engaging at around 5200 RPM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Team, if you are stock running dans kit you definitly want to be at the 7700 rpm,,No more. Have you looked at your primary spring?? Is it all chiped and scuffed.. it could be binding. That will slow you down a ton up top. Are you sure these guys are stock?? It takes a lot of HP to make up a couple sled lengths in 660 ft.

·
Registered
96 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (teamgreen03 @ Feb 8 2007, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
im headed out saturday for some testing. gonna try a steeper finish angle on the helix. i have a couple of helixes laying around the shop. im not sure just how steep i can go before slipping the belt but im gonna try a 58/52. i also have a 62/54 to try. im gonna have to play around with different spings im sure but i think i good place to start is with a heavier spring and work backwards.[/b]
I make the 58/52 work in my 03 F7 on asphalt with Super Tips. If it hooks, I don't think it will pull the 62 start very well. On loose snow, the 62 will probibly work good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i went on vacation last week but here is how everything went down in the above testing for those following this thread!

to help me come out of the hole, i went up with the start angle and kept the finish angle the same and it ran better. but what REALLY made a huge difference was the shape of the helix. i switched from a compound progressive to full progressive and it shifted out much quicker. (higher gear ratio) i feel as though im really coming close to having it dialed in now. im really trying to get that optimum spring/helix combo and the only way to do that is to practice with them all to see....this is taking some time. basically im trying to find that softest spring/steepest helix that loads the motor as hard as it can without boggin down. that is gonna be my optimum hole shot off the ice without the chizzles. it seems like you have to clutch these things totally different that with the chizzles. anyone else toy'd with this? trying to get the fastest ET in 660'ft on ice without chizzles and a speed track? some of the responses i get are really good and some are stupid (i.e. put a 40degree helix in... ) but its fun to read them anyway!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
didnt see this post before i replied to the other one ...My bad.
Any way... it sounds like you gotter pretty close. Always good
when a plan comes together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi new to this site but i just have a few questions .
i have a 2004 zr 900 and want to start to drag it i just wanna know what i need to make it win any ideas please write .I am running it stock and it aint working

1 - 19 of 19 Posts