Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys breaking the new 500 in right. Got a wild hair the other day with my buddies. We came up to this big water hole and stopped and i just eased over in it to take a look. Didn't look that deep well boy was i wrong. climbed up on the seat and started off in it and wham! Frontend drops and hi centers the frame and she dies filling full of water. Luckly 2 of my buddies had winches they pulled me out and after an hour of working on it we got it back running. She was slap full of water though. Got her home and all cleaned up and oil and spark plug changed now ready to go again. Kinda crazy still only 74hrs on it and i go droping it in over its head lol. bang your head Still don't know how deep it was front tires never touched the bottom. Will have to see during the summer!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
while you have it apart you should snorkle it! Dont feel bad, i did the same thing the first 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I hate when that happens! :) Make sure you check your oil...most people have to change it a number of times before all of the moisture is gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i thought about snorkling it but i know it voids the warranty. And with my luck the engine would blow as soon as i did. She is all back together now. But the idea is still there. There is still a tad bit of moisture in the oil i am going to give it a couple days and see how it looks sometimes the heat from running will clear it up. If not going to change it again. I plan on going to full synthetic as soon as she gets broken it good prob around 60hrs or so.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Im not sure if snorkles would void warranty but an engine full of water will.

Heres is some pics you requested in pm. I am in installing front and rear bumpers on it this weekend also so i will have to update pics soon.

Edited to add my updated pics with front and rear bumpers.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
From the looks of the milky oil in the air box you started the bike up after you sunk it and before you drain the oil. Some word of wisdom Don't ever do that! You must drain everything and add some new oil and the start it up and only run it for about 30 seconds on the first change of new oil. You dont want to blend all that dirt and water up then it takes even more oil changes to get it clean. Sorry for your luck I know it does suck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i know what you mean mudcat but when your about 10 miles from the truck off in the woods oil and filters are hard to come by if you know what i mean lol. When of those moments your glad you get it running to get back to your truck. :super_happy:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Seriously, if I were in that spot, I may have considered towing it back to the truck. That can really do a number on your engine.

As for voiding your warranty, I would talk with your dealer. Some will void the warranty, others will not. Just depends on the dealer really.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
stock air boxed RULE! but seriously hidden snorks for the win

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think everything is going to be ok rode it around a lil after i changed the oil and plug. Still had a small ammount of water in it prob one more change and it will be gone.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
put some seafoam in the crankcase and let it run a while then drain the oil. it will get rid of all the water.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Keep an eye on it. I did the same thing to my H1, at The ******* Games in Athens Tx, the 2nd weekend I had it. bang your head Towed it back changed oil and filter and rode it the rest of the weekend. Now it is smoking like a two-stroke and consuming oil. Oh yeah also check your carb, mine started stickin and when I cleaned it it was pretty dirty. Good luck; hope it comes out ok.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get that front airbox out of there. That well designed piece of crap will get you in more trouble.

Just take it out.

90 a small piece of flex tube up under the POD. It's no big deal and can be done in a couple hours..

The cost of a couple 90's, 2" Tube and glue is about $12

It is easy to put back to stock form if needed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Bgarmer1983, I updated my pics above to include the front and rear bumpers I put on today.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I snorked mine If i need warenty work I will take them off and take it to the dealer what they dont know wont hurt them. + I am a dealer.
We here at our shop would do warnety work all day long. It pays and is garenteed to pay.
some people just dont pay for repairs. so warenty work is a win win for both

Sorry to here about your machine I did the same thing and Than I put snorks on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hoopie,
The bumpers look good. I am going to put them on mine as well. I ran the bike a lil the other day it has just a hint of water left in it. I belive if i change it again it will be gone. Runs fine so i think it is ok. I think i am going to snorkle it but i am going to go with the hidden one up towards the pod with the rubber hose. Don't want to lose and of the rack and the wive don't like the ones sticking up lol.

·
Registered
472 Posts
:thumbsup: <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoopie @ Feb 22 2007, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
put some seafoam in the crankcase and let it run a while then drain the oil. it will get rid of all the water.[/b]
I am a SeaFoam believer, but is it safe for the clutch? I personally have no idea. Any negative expereinces?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
you need to change the oil again right away or your in for a peice of junk on your hands. dont wait and let that water sit in your oil. Your asking for some bad thinks to happen real fast. I dont mean to sound preachy but i have seen may motors ruined because of procrastination and being cheap and dont want you to be in the same boat.

It dont matter how you snorkle it, as long as you do snorkle it for protection

According to seafoam it is safe for the clutch. I dont leave it in the crank case though. I only run it for a few miles then chaning oil and filter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts