Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Done for the season (Broken ribs)

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  dadszr 
#1 ·
Ok Whats the best way to cut down a track I have an 06 M5 with the 1.6 track with no studs bang your head but anyway, Yesterday I hit a patch of ice and around it came and OFF I went with some broken ribs. I've been looking for a 141 in the ripsaw or hacksaw but can't find one (I guess they don't make them) thats why I never studed this one but after this It's getting cut down I 've heard some useing a piece of angle and holding it to the lug with visegrips and then cutting it with a sawzall. But I'm just not sure your going to get a straight cut has anyone else done this? But from what the doc said I"m done for the season, bang your head bang your head. So now we get to think of all the mods that we can make while I heal. Also the sled laid over on its left side and once I started it the check engine light flashed whats the chance of getting a air bubble in the coolant or oil lines I thought that was for if it were tipped on the right side. It ran fine for the 5 miles that I had to ride to get home but the light flashed every now and then.

#3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alleycat @ Feb 26 2007, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
holey crap Don!!!!
you have had a bad string luck the last couple weeks.

this is why i never ride with out studs,......

i wonder if you could cut it down with a tire cutter.
we use them on the tires on the race truck.
they work great.[/b]

I'm not sure I never cut a track down before this, And if it wasn't for bad luck, I would have any at all.

#6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Feb 27 2007, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow, that sounds like it's gotta hurt. Glad you're doing ok. It'll leave lots of time for moderating at least.[/b]

yep, hurts like h$ll but, I'm thinking bigger, bader and faster. :super_happy: :super_happy: and a tek vest for next year. The wife always said that I didn't need one now she's sing a different tune.

#7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Feb 26 2007, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok Whats the best way to cut down a track I have an 06 M5 with the 1.6 track with no studs bang your head but anyway, Yesterday I hit a patch of ice and around it came and OFF I went with some broken ribs. I've been looking for a 141 in the ripsaw or hacksaw but can't find one (I guess they don't make them) thats why I never studed this one but after this It's getting cut down I 've heard some useing a piece of angle and holding it to the lug with visegrips and then cutting it with a sawzall. But I'm just not sure your going to get a straight cut has anyone else done this? But from what the doc said I"m done for the season, bang your head bang your head. So now we get to think of all the mods that we can make while I heal. Also the sled laid over on its left side and once I started it the check engine light flashed whats the chance of getting a air bubble in the coolant or oil lines I thought that was for if it were tipped on the right side. It ran fine for the 5 miles that I had to ride to get home but the light flashed every now and then.[/b]
Glad you're not injured more!

Hey, instead of a Sawzall, try a sharp utility blade. It's only rubber, don't need a toothed blade & sawing action to make a cut.

If you get two pieces of angle about 3" wider than the track, drill holes in the ends for nuts and bolts, the angle iron itself will become the clamp & the cutting guide for the blade. Use a nut on the first angle iron before you add the second one, it will help stabilize the bolt and hold it straight... Improving alignment / parallity between the two pieces of angle.

#10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Feb 27 2007, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Feb 26 2007, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok Whats the best way to cut down a track I have an 06 M5 with the 1.6 track with no studs bang your head but anyway, Yesterday I hit a patch of ice and around it came and OFF I went with some broken ribs. I've been looking for a 141 in the ripsaw or hacksaw but can't find one (I guess they don't make them) thats why I never studed this one but after this It's getting cut down I 've heard some useing a piece of angle and holding it to the lug with visegrips and then cutting it with a sawzall. But I'm just not sure your going to get a straight cut has anyone else done this? But from what the doc said I"m done for the season, bang your head bang your head. So now we get to think of all the mods that we can make while I heal. Also the sled laid over on its left side and once I started it the check engine light flashed whats the chance of getting a air bubble in the coolant or oil lines I thought that was for if it were tipped on the right side. It ran fine for the 5 miles that I had to ride to get home but the light flashed every now and then.[/b]

Hey, instead of a Sawzall, try a sharp utility blade. It's only rubber, don't need a toothed blade & sawing action to make a cut.

If you get two pieces of angle about 3" wider than the track, drill holes in the ends for nuts and bolts, the angle iron itself will become the clamp & the cutting guide for the blade. Use a nut on the first angle iron before you add the second one, it will help stabilize the bolt and hold it straight... Improving alignment / parallity between the two pieces of angle.
[/b][/quote]

I had been thinking of doing it that way instead of just one angle and visegrips, Now the other problem I'm running into is finding a stud templet for studding it. All I'm finding is for 136 or 144 no 141 and I'm not sure they will work. So it maybe a guessing game at placement of the studs.

#13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Feb 27 2007, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Feb 27 2007, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Feb 26 2007, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I had been thinking of doing it that way instead of just one angle and visegrips, Now the other problem I'm running into is finding a stud templet for studding it. All I'm finding is for 136 or 144 no 141 and I'm not sure they will work. So it maybe a guessing game at placement of the studs.
[/b][/quote]
If you go with a utlility knife just be careful. You don't need to recover from an injured thumb as well. It just reminds me of a nasty utility knife incident a colleague of mine once had.

#14 ·
Holy Crap Dadszr, you have been having some trouble lately glad to hear that your OK, take it easy and get yourself healed up, I have never cut a track but I have taken rubber belting for conveyors which is very similar material and cut it narrower with a simple utility knife, I'm not certain if this will work for you or not, but if the track is completely made of rubber with the fiber reinforcing there is no reason why it wouldn't, just use a good straight edge to hold your line, hope this helps, take care and good luck Dog

#15 ·
tell you what I've got the next three weeks off work(can't get in and out of the big truck) because of this and can't ride. Tried today couldn't even start the Dam thing it hurt that bad. so I guess I'll listen to the Doc and take it easy and with any luck there will still be snow in about 4 to 6 weeks. But in the mean time I can figure out how to do my track and studs. I would like 144 so I have to figure how many I need to go in each bar on a 141.

#17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Feb 28 2007, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
3.0638 per row. ;)[/b]

and I get that .0638 in a hole how?......... :lol: Thanks. I know on a 121 I had three per bar, but wasn't sure on a 141.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.