Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1978 Jag 3000 and I'm cheap. I want to make some runners for it, and was wondering if anyone had the dimensions of theirs. I know they are 1/4" in diameter, but I don't know the length and bend, nor do I know where the mounting bolt weld goes. If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
630 Posts
When I was in high school I used to make them for my Viking and all my Dad's sleds. I think it was 3/8 round bar and I welded or brazed bolts on. After grinding they would pop in no problem and making the arc at the ends wasn't difficult but it's easier if you have a sample to work by.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They might only cost $6, but with shipping and the convenience that accompanies a fresh skag anytime, I think it might be a skill worth mastering.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Get good at braising carbide to the bar and now your in business!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
trick a few buddies any myself came up with, instead of having to put on carbides we came up with two systems. One was taking very hard, agressive triangular files and mig welding half on front and half on back of the runner, the other was running a bead of mig weld down the middle of the runner, and grinding it triangular, then run a bead over the lower spots or any holes, and regrind. Do this until you have a nice straight triangular line on the bottom of your runner. We just put the runners upside down in the vises for both of these methods. I would be happy to answer any questions about this.

Happy Sledding

Kurt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Kurt, I love the idea about running the bead!! I improvised until my order came by using a set of Lynx skis with skags already on--wow does it turn well now since they are a bit narrower. I don't know how well it will do in the deep stuff, but I highly recommend this mod if anyone gets the opportunity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
thanks white. You figure a lot out when you have limited resources, and funding. The MIG bead carbides work very well, although they have a slightly shorter life than carbide steel. the files work respectably well and have a long life, it is much more difficult to line them up properly mind you, unless your runners are worn flat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts