Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having stress with my V2. The thing has been running very good up until this point. I got it back from the frame replacement 3 months ago.
Yesterday was the first day I have really given it a good ride. I was chasing come cows trying to get them into a pen. It was running good for the first 30min, but then it started cutting out and acting real doggish. After about 3 minutes of that (while still trying to capture critters) it just died. It acted like it wasnt getting fuel. After a couple of minutes, I got it started after lots of cranking and it ran just long enough to make it to the shed, still dogging the whole time. I let it sit while messing with the fuel filter (It looked to have air in it). When I got done fiddleing, It started right up. It only ran a few minutes and then died again. Air in the filter. I cant get it started now, and there is still air in the filter.
So, is there maybe a fuel pump that went out?
My other thought is that I havnt checked my plugs since I had jetted it and think that they could be fouled?
I have a dynatek and I'm going to take my stock CDI and put back on to see if that helps.
I just dont ever remember getting air in my filter before and think this has something to do with it.
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch! Is there a way to test it? Does it run for 3 sec or so with the key switched on?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Section 4 from the manual on the tech page.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON and listen for a
momentary “whirring” sound of the pump
building pressure. If the sound is heard (10
seconds), no electrical checks are necessary. Turn
the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the fuel hose from the pump to the gas
tank valve; then install a suitable pressure gauge.

3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The
fuel pressure should build until the pump shuts off.
Pressure should read 0.18-0.23 kg-cm2 (2.6-3.3
psi).

4. If the pump is not running, disconnect the fuel
pump/tank sensor connector by reaching under the
rear rack from behind.

5. Connect a multimeter to the power supply leads
with the red tester lead to the brown wire and the
black tester lead to the black/red wire; then turn
the ignition switch to the ON position. The meter
should red battery voltage. If battery voltage is
indicated and the fuel pump does not run, replace
the pump assembly. If no battery voltage is
indicated, check the CDI and the vehicle tilt
sensor.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I would check the plugs, and check where the fuel line is running. It almost sounds as though a fuel line is heating up and causing vapor lock? Have you let it sit for an hour or so and started it up?

My fuel filter always has air in it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
check for cracked fuel line
check your vent line off the fuel tank that runs up to the guage pod (or just take fuel cap off and see if there is any pressure)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Another silly one. Have you checked the oil?

When I got mine back from the swap, the gas was left on. Took it for it's first ride and had very similar symptoms to yours. Rode 20 minutes, then it went for crap. Couldn't get more then half throttle out of it.

Then I tried to blast through it and it started spitting oil out of the breather tube. Very messy.

While it was sitting the whole time +traveling to our location, the fuel leaked past the cylinder and over filled the crankcase. Causing it run very poorly. Did a couple of oil changes, and no problem since.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Yeah, on the 04 V2's you need to turn the fuel valve off when letting it sit for a long time or when trailering it. I didn't know this and I too had my crankcase fill with oil. Changed the oil, cleaned out the airbox and all was well.

It doesn't sound like a pump to me though. Just doesn't. Seems like maybe even the filter inside the tank is plugged a bit maybe?

Have you tried changing your inline fuel filter?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm with Kevinbender. Make sure your tank vent line is not plugged. I have seen one hell of alot of tail chasing done for a simlpe vent line being kinked or plugged. Start with the simple things first as always! Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yup, the vent line ending up by the handlebars is where i would start and follow it back.. espicially since you had your frame changed..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Here's where I'm at so far:
I forgot to mention that when this first started happening to me(two days ago), I took the gas cap loose and tried running it that way but it did not help.
1. I could hear the pump running when I turned the key on and off.
2. I changed the inline filter (that I installed aftermarket). I got as much air out as I could by cycling the key on and off about 10 times. It started and ran, I made it around the pen (50ydX50yd) and it started dogging more and more and died at the gate. I pulled it back to the shed.
3. I put the stock CPU back in and took out the dynatek. Still wouldnt start, just sputter and almost go but if I gave it throttle it would quit.
4. I changed the spark plugs. I post pics of the old ones tonight. They didnt look bad to me, but had quite a bit of black carbon on them. It ran for a bit but was doggy the whole time, then quit. That time I had the air cleaner off and the front cyl was backfiring some.
5. I put the dynatek on and the backfiring quit and it started but would not throttle up. It will idle but when I gas it it revvs up some but is very doggy. I will not rev up.

So now I'm stuck. Could my clutch be stuck on my belt somehow dogging the motor? I was pretty dumb and put the biggest Dynojet jets in and have been running it that way, could I have blown something up running too rich of a jet?
I will check the fuel vent hose this PM.
I also take it the tank filter is IN THE TANK? Does it come out very easy?
Thanks so much guys,
Jason

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a possible bad carb slide diaphram, or an air leak that isn't opening the slide.

~Fast

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i would work on one thing at a time, bear with me.
you switched your cdi's and no better
vent must not be clogged due to no pressure when loosing cap.
you changed your fuel filter (inline) no better. put in backwards possibly? take it off again and put a cofiee can and turn the key on to make sure your pumping fuel to that point (full stream, you will see), then reassemble. by doing this your eliminating the in tank filter, that is kinda a pain to get to (have to pull tank, sending unit ect).
now your plugs are black, could be rich a bit but i doubt it would mess anything up.

here is what i would do next:
drain both carb bowls, try again, if no better i would personaly take the carbs completely off and look into them, sounds like you problem lies with getting fuel into the cylinder (too much or not enough, were plugs wet also)? have you checked your choke to make sure that it's not sticking in the on position? what are your carb settings at roughly with the dynojet kit? i would steer clear of the belt are until you have it so it will rev up so to speak.

after re-reading the thread i'm still not sure if you getting too much fuel or not enough.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
put the biggest Dynojet jets in[/b]
farmer, what size jets did you put in? That makes me think you're running WAY rich. If you pulled the plugs and they were carboned up, you're rich. They should be a nice tan color...not black. Running rich won't burn anything up. Running lean will, but not rich.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The oil is good. I just changed it not too long ago and it still looks good and is at the full mark.
I tired blowing back through the vent tube up by the pod and I couldnt get it to go. I tried blowing into the fill up hole and I couldnt get air to go through. If I unplug the hose from the thing above the tank on both sides I can get air to go through. Is that thing a check-valve? Even if it is, I couldnt get air to go through it either way (just using my mouth, no compressed air).

The carb slides seemed to be working OK when I had the air filter off earlier. I even used my finger and pushed each one in and they both went in and out smoothly.

When I pulled the plugs, they were not wet. Not wet enough to be flooding anyway. If I remember right, I went with the 130 main jets front and rear. It has ran just fine this way for the last 7 months or so.

It really seems to act like one of my old 2-stroke bikes did when it went bad. Everything runs good until the piston heats up, then it starts rubbing--causing the dog, and then quits. But I dont think it would turn over again if that was the case. I may get a compression test today and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks again guys,
Jason

On Edit: I said I was runnin 126 and 128 jets but all I had to do was read my sig...I guess I'm 130 front and rear.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
There is a check valve at the rear, under the tail light. IIRC guys were having issues with it early on. You can bypass it. I was poking around with mine and now air goes either way so I guess it's busted lol. I think it has to do with keeping the gas from pouring out the vent line if you dump the quad.

Removing that one won't hurt anything. But if it was plugged or something I think you would be having issues with pressure in the tank. Which you said there wasn't. So I duuno.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
33 Posts
It was suggested and maybe i missed it, did you disconnect the fuel line from the aftermarket fuel filter and see if gas was consistanly flowing from it? All the forementioned stuff is good possibilites, just seeing if gas is getting to the carbs in the first place......even better take and fill the gas tank 1/2 full and run the gas out into an empty gas can so you can see if it starts to flutter after a little bit of running.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hollywood703 @ Mar 30 2007, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It was suggested and maybe i missed it, did you disconnect the fuel line from the aftermarket fuel filter and see if gas was consistanly flowing from it? All the forementioned stuff is good possibilites, just seeing if gas is getting to the carbs in the first place......even better take and fill the gas tank 1/2 full and run the gas out into an empty gas can so you can see if it starts to flutter after a little bit of running.[/b]
Yes I took the line off right where it goes into the carbs. I can cycle the key about 3 times and then fuel will come. I do not know how to get the pump to run long enough to see if it will pump out 1/2 tank of fuel--I guess I could hook 12v up to it somewhere?
--What I did notice is that after I got fuel to the hose and shut the key off, the fuel started siphoning back. I re-did this about 3 times to make sure. Is that normal for the fuel to siphon back to the tank?

The check valve is not going back on it. It does let air through both ways but it takes quite a little pressure to get it to go.

I'm still debating on wether to pull the carb or not....I'm probablly just going to have to break down an do it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, I think I may have found another culprit. The boot that goes between the spark plug and the plug wire must have some kind of porcelin (sp?) in it that is broken on the one plug. I thought I felt something yesterday so today I took it back off and sure enough, I can feel something is loose inside the boot. Maybe when it heats up it's shooting the spark somewhere else?
Will the V2's run on 1 cyl?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts