Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read that triple cylinder sleds have no firing order. i just want to check with you people to make sure its valid. i think i read it in snow goer but im not quite sure.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The main question was an issue we are having. I mainly need to know if it matters which spark plug cap u put on a spark plug. My dad tells me that all things need a fireing order but idk I listen to ZRT as he has more snowmobile experience. But my dad has more engine experience so idk... more input.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Slick's right... All three cylinders fire 3 times per revolution.

Cat doesn't use a distribution system. 2 strokes don't really need them if you think about it, knowing spark at other timings have no effect.

When a spark happens at 120 & 240 degrees, it has no effect because there's no compressed air/fuel mix at those timings anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
AG is correct,the stock ignition fires every 120 degrees,so it will not matter how you put the caps on.

In 97 I put a MSD ignition that was designed for a sea doo on my 600 zrt prostock. It was a total loss ignition fired 360 degrees and you had to make sure you put the plugs in the right place.It had BIG blue flame spark!,lol.
I had heard that the new f-1000 had to have its firing order correct,but I haven't confirmed that.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Like C-Note says, there is no firing order for the spark plugs, but there is a firing order for the cylinders, so you do have to specify what you are talking about. I remember reading an article that talked about the sequential spark system when Yamaha started using it on the SRX. Yamaha claimed it improved the output of the engine because all of the coil energy was only going to one plug instead of all three. It is a more sophisticated igniton system, and my guess would be much more expensive. The manufacturers have to weigh the cost vs. the benefit, and it seems cost wins in most instances.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Jan 16 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Like C-Note says, there is no firing order for the spark plugs, but there is a firing order for the cylinders, so you do have to specify what you are talking about. I remember reading an article that talked about the sequential spark system when Yamaha started using it on the SRX. Yamaha claimed it improved the output of the engine because all of the coil energy was only going to one plug instead of all three. It is a more sophisticated igniton system, and my guess would be much more expensive. The manufacturers have to weigh the cost vs. the benefit, and it seems cost wins in most instances.[/b]
other than the rare earth magnets strength and the sequential firing requiring each plug to be assigned to a particular cylinder via its own trigger strip,, it's (IMO) not really that sophisticated,,

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Jan 16 2007, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Jan 16 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like C-Note says, there is no firing order for the spark plugs, but there is a firing order for the cylinders, so you do have to specify what you are talking about. I remember reading an article that talked about the sequential spark system when Yamaha started using it on the SRX. Yamaha claimed it improved the output of the engine because all of the coil energy was only going to one plug instead of all three. It is a more sophisticated igniton system, and my guess would be much more expensive. The manufacturers have to weigh the cost vs. the benefit, and it seems cost wins in most instances.[/b]
other than the rare earth magnets strength and the sequential firing requiring each plug to be assigned to a particular cylinder via its own trigger strip,, it's (IMO) not really that sophisticated,,
[/b][/quote]

I heard it is the flux capacitors that are Yamaha's key. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts