Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2004 650 V-Twin, did an oil change, got the carburetor rebuilt, cleaned the air filter, I also got the cooling system checked to make sure it was working properly. The machine just seems to run really hot, like so hot the plastics on the left side have melted in some places, the exhaust that came on the machine are some "custom" redneck setup, my mechanic told me the exhaust is causing an issue where I'm not getting enough back pressure. So I ordered an OEM exhaust system and am going to change it. Just wondering if this is normal for the engine to be this hot? Could the garbage exhaust system be causing this?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
37,164 Posts
What do the plugs look like? Are you running lean?

·
Administrator
37,164 Posts
Not white or tan colored on the electrode? The plugs can tell you a lot about what your engine is doing.
I’ve read it’s normal for the rear cylinder to run hotter as it doesn’t get as much airflow. I believe the factory jets reverse cylinder with this in mind.

Have you synced the carbs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the plugs were white or tan, I had the local cat dealer do the carbs (they charged me 330$ for a rebuild) so I'm hoping they did it properly I'll probably pull the plugs again and check just to be sure, is there anything else you think it could be? Thanks

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mine would get hot if the radiator was covered with mud so bad the fan could not blow air thru it

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Plugged rad is so common it doesn’t matter whether a 650 or this 400 I bought as a project quad. It was burning oil and owner took top end off and lost interest. Here’s a pic of the oil cooler. Yep, the dirt on the floor came out of the fan area.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I bought a 12 volt bilge pump and 10' of hose with a spray nozzle on the end to flush out the radiator every once in a while if the fan was running a lot. Just drop the pump in a creek hook it to the battery and rinse it out

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 06 650V2 and shorts in the summer is not a great idea on a long ride. My left leg will get really hot. I’ve owned it since new and it’s always been that way, not hot enough to melt any plastic though..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I'm thinking it was the exhaust system I had on it, I put a OEM exhaust on it and it seems a bit cooler, good to know it's normal that they feel hot

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
A plugged muffler will make an ATV run hot. Had a Polaris that would keep setting the plastics afire. Tried everything, finally cleaned out the muffler. Ran better and no more melting plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts