Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2010 Artic cat 550 EFI new. Its almost two years old and its ran great until now. Pretty sure it just needs valves adjusted but before I bring it in to the dealer I want to make sure incase it could be something else I need to push them to do.

its symptoms are:
-idles high when you first start it for about 5 mins. You can run it for hours and turn it off for 10 mins and if you start it again it idles high for 5 mins again. The idle is so high you can't shift until it calms down.

-after you run it sometimes and stop but leave it in gear the ATV lurches forwarded over and over again. It doesn't always do this but its doing it more and more.

-its very hard to start. Even in plus 8 degree's it takes 3-4 pushes of the button. So push button let it crank a 3 or 4 times let button go, repeat 3-4 times. I always let the fuel pump finish pumping before I try to start it.

So valves need adjusting? Or?

Its got a fresh plug and clean air filter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh one other symptom: the engine "pops" once in awhile. Usually if I have the throttle down a bit and put the brakes on the engine will "pop". And if I am stuck in mud and spin the tires than let off the throttle it will also pop.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
have you checked wire tightness on the cap and coil side?...pop is usually a miss spark

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
by tightness i mean twist not push on...they are a screw in type wire. poor wire connection can cause a world of problems...from popping, missing, back firing, weird idle, stalls when water hits it to name a few

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
When you have a new machine and its time to adjust the valves you will find that the valve clearances are too tight and not loose like some people might think. I noticed this on my 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 and also with my rebuilt AC 500. That being said I don't think this is what is causing your first three issues. Being efi I think it has something to do with the idle speed control valve that is located on the throttle body. It could either be faulty or there's dirt causing it to not fully close thus giving you a higher idle. I would pull off the throttle body and fully clean it first before you replace the ISC valve. This valve would cause all three of the issues you described above.
Now the valve clearances being too tight can cause the backfire your having. Basically when the valves fully seat after you break in a new engine the clearances will become to tight and what will happen is the valves won't be able to close when their supposed to during each stroke. Get the valves adjusted and ride the "pop" should go away. You should adjust your valves every 800-1000 miles depending on how hard you ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts