Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a DIY EFI system out there called the MegaSquit. (google it) Basically, its an ECU that you assemble yourself (pre-built units can be bought), and then you mix and match components to assemble your own EFI system, compatible with just about ANY engine. 1 - 8 cyclinders, rotary, anything...

Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of converting my '04 Arctic Cat 500 TRV over to EFI, because I ride in drastically changing altitudes a lot (going from 4000 ft to 9500 ft elevation in a single day is common for me), and I *love* my 'Cat. I don't want to trade it in and buy a new one, etc. (and mine is paid for, :) ). I'm just not sure at one point I'm just wasting money.

So, if you were to do something like this, how much would you be willing to spend upgrading your carb ATV to EFI? At some point its just not worth it, but deciding that isn't easy. (and this is all assuming that the thing will actually work).

I'm estimating something liek $500 - $600 to do it maybe, using some pre-built componets. I maybe build the PCB (PC Board) myself, as I have a good deal of experience doign that sort of work, but I'm not sure yet. That will cut a good chuck off the bottom line.

I'm kinda thinking if I can get an ATV upgraded and running good, I may try upgarding my '66 Chevy Panel truck too. Rockerdude

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard many stories of dial-a-jets, each one have one of two extreme outcomes:

1) It works great
2) Its horrible, don't bother

So I'm a bit scared of it honestly.

I thought about getting one, installing it, and installing a air/fuel radio meter (via o2 sensor mounted in the exhaust) and playing with it. That would be the ideal way to tune an engine I'd think, since you'd be looking at "live" results, not shutting the engine off and checking the plug after the fact.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I think if you install it correctly and adjust it correctly (two critical points there), it works phenomenally. If you adjust it incorrectly, you're done.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I agree with everything said about the Dial-A-Jet, that's getting away from my intial question.

Dial-a-jet is more of a band-aid to the problem, not a fix.

EFI is a fix obviously, but for whatever reason, is not being made readily available to to the ATV market (only select high end models have it so far). If someone says "it costs too much to develop!" they are simply out of their mind. It think its more of a slow-release marketing campaign than anything else... When you've tweaked everything you can possible tweak on a 400/500 model to introduce as "new features" and nothing is left to get someone to buy a new model, you add EFI, and *wham*, you've just introduced a reason for people to upgrade.

But as the results of this thread have already quickly pointed out, people are not really interested in EFI on ATVs... rather just keep screwing with the carbs... :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
just trying to help
wasn't sure if you knew about the daj so figured i would mention it, as for efi i agree there definately should be more models available with it but i think to convert in thought would be good and work but if it doesn't work your back to your carb again and out money. i don't see how daj is a band-aid, that's what it is designed to do, adjust fuel mixture throughout elevation changes.

the megasquirt (looked over the homepage) only provides you with the software and programming that i see, still have to find a throttlebody to fit the ac, tps ect.

Type ARC
Part ID: 3403-116
Description BODY ASSEMBLY,THROTTLE
Qty:
Unit Price 390.96

i wish you luck if you do try this though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do appreciate the help. :) Sorry if I came off some other way...

I've read up on a number of motorcycle guys that have used this system. (its really the only one available that I know of).

Most buy some "other" brand throttle body on ebay, and just reconfigure it for there use. $50 - $100 is normal I guess. I've been hunting around for an acceptable throttle body for the 500 TRV, something in the 34mm size. No luck yet, but I've got some ideas.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Fur i looked at the same thing, looked like a nightmare trying to waterproof everything up. I also read some were about using an EFI off a ford, not sure i want any ford products on my cat lol am a Chevy guy , but looks like fun to play with

1 - 8 of 8 Posts