Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to setup my sled so it can take more than the standard setup. I'm not looking to go overboard... and I'm not planning on only hitting ditches, but I want something that can take the punishment yet give a pretty good ride that wont wear you out too much. I know the firecat chassis is better for this, but I'm not willing to part with the ZR, cause I feel its a better all around sled. Anyway I'm looking to upgrade to clicker shocks, prefferably from an 01 LE sled or better. I have also been thinking about sno-pro springs up front, and heavier springs in the rear. I'm 6'1 and weigh 215 max but with getting ready to go to the academy thats dropping. Anyway what would probably be the best setup for my application. I'm a very aggressive rider and being 21 I'm still young and dumb enough to take some beating, but I just dont want something that makes me not want to ride the sled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you have got the right idea with the springs I have a 2001 ZR and was looking to do the same thing, what I did First was put sno pro handle bars on the sled, by either swaping the steering post or a powermadd adapter, and a 6" or 8" riser set straight up. now you can ride standing up and also it moves you forward on the sled. next roxfx sledtreads with flare this will make your running boards wider and stronger so they won't sag, that should get you started, if you want to get crazy clutch, track, skis, ext..

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
my .02....

Polaris bottomout bumpers on ski shocks are a MUST have for hardcore riding. They will take the "sting" out of hard bottoming hits. The compression adjustable (clicker) reservoirs are a must in my opinion. I run them on ALL my shocks.

125 lb straight rate springs on the ski's. Set preload for 2.5" of free sag
076/077 Rear Springs (new number might be 774/775??) move rear arm to forward hole and adjust your preload (triangle adjuster) so the sled just barely tops out with NO rider on it. You don't want it to top out hard but you do want it to top out.

Set front arm height to 6 1/4" and use dial adjust if you desire more ski pressure (when you need it)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm about your size and my 98 LE takes the pounding just fine. Adding the coupling kit made a huge difference but you don't need to worry about that on a newer skid. The suspension with clickers has plenty of adjustability for pounding anything short of a snow cross track. The only complaint I have is that with shocks valved stiff enough to ride aggressive you do take a pounding on the studder bumps.

Do you want to ride it or do you want to RIDE it? A Corvette doesn't ride like a Cadillac either..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts