Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been trying to research this and have not found a definite answer. I have a 97 Powder extreme that has a 900 TCat engine. I am going to long track it and wanted to move to the newer chassis. I talked to the local AC guy and he told me different things at different times. First he told me any chassis would work, I just needed the motor mounts for the triple. Then he told me I must get a ZRT chassis because they are different size to accommodate the larger engine and the triple pipes.
If this question has already been hashed out, can you please point me to the info.
If not, how hard is it to put a triple engine into the 98+ chassis if it was stock with a twin?
Should I just keep looking for the ZRT chassis?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
My 99 ZRT chassis/bulkhead was wider that my 99 zl chassis/bulkhead that I have if that helps, The 99 zrt did take more room for the triple engine and the pipes.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Why don't you just update the chassis you have ??

The 97 powder special is technically a zrt chassis, just like my 97 t-cat it has the u-shaped arms and the tunnel is a little different from it's zrt brothers but with a little work you can update it.

just my opinion it would be cheaper to go with what you got.

Mike

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The 99+ T-cat/ZRT and the '98+ ZR/ZL chassis are the same. The plastic is different. All AWS V chassis (except minor differences in the Mountain sleds) use the same bulkhead. Of course, the fan cooled sleds are a little different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the replys, but now I am confused again. I have one person saying the triple bulkhead is wider, and another saying it's the same. Please clarify.
The main reason I wanted to upgrade is my mechanic told me the 97 bulkhead was steel, the newer ones are aluminum, about 20 lbs different in weight. I talked to a guy once that was riding a 99 powder special, he had owned a wildcat, and he said the difference in riding the two was like night and day. That is why I traded my wildcat and bought a 99 powder special. It's just getting finished now, (new engine) and I have not ridden it yet so I don't have first hand experience.
This is only my second season as a snowmobile owner so I am trying to learn fast. I have bought all my sleds with problems, (cheap) and fixed them up. If I had the money I would just buy an M but for now I am trying to build the best sled I can with the parts and money I have.
That is why I love these boards, it makes it possible for guys like me to get the right info and not have to make lots of time consuming and expensive mistakes in the learning process.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tkrug21 @ Nov 13 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks so much for the replys, but now I am confused again. I have one person saying the triple bulkhead is wider, and another saying it's the same. Please clarify.
The main reason I wanted to upgrade is my mechanic told me the 97 bulkhead was steel, the newer ones are aluminum, about 20 lbs different in weight. I talked to a guy once that was riding a 99 powder special, he had owned a wildcat, and he said the difference in riding the two was like night and day. That is why I traded my wildcat and bought a 99 powder special. It's just getting finished now, (new engine) and I have not ridden it yet so I don't have first hand experience.
This is only my second season as a snowmobile owner so I am trying to learn fast. I have bought all my sleds with problems, (cheap) and fixed them up. If I had the money I would just buy an M but for now I am trying to build the best sled I can with the parts and money I have.
That is why I love these boards, it makes it possible for guys like me to get the right info and not have to make lots of time consuming and expensive mistakes in the learning process.
Thanks again.[/b]
The 98 zr went to the alum bulk head. I have seen a post where a guy cut out the steel and replaced it w/ a custom home made alum. bulkhead. The zr's used the twin, so mounting a tripple would be diff.. Alot of work for 20 pnd IMO.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
You can put a triple engine into twin chassis, it has been done, but it may take a but more work.

97 Powder Extreme front frame

98 ZR front frame

98 Powder Extreme front frame - still looks older like steel chassis

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Twins from 98+ used the aluminum AWS V bulkhead (until the Firecats (AWS VI) and F-series (AWS VII)) Triples from 99+ also used the aluminum AWS V bulkhead.

If you want to put your 900 triple into a 98+ twin chassis, you'll need motor mounts and the airbox from a 99+ T-cat or ZRT 800 (or a Pantera 800/1000, I believe)

Jaws and a couple other places made pipes for the 8/9/1000 motor in the AWS V twin plastic. If you don't go that route, you may be able to fit your stock pipes under the hood with some mods. Barring that, you could put plastic from a 99+ triple on the twin chassis, as we did on this sled (which is a twin chassis, with a triple motor (albeit one made from two twin motors) and triple plastic):

To add to the post above, 99+ ZRT/T-cat front frame:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome guys, that is exactly the info I was looking for. I will continue the search until I find a 99+ triple chassis, I want to make the transition as easy as possible as I don't have tons of time or money to mess around with it.
When I get it done I'll post some pics and whatever I learned in the process.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Just ran across this post, I know it's old but I am finally in the process of building the machine. I bought a 99 ZRT 600 chassis. I have the 900 thundercat motor built. I am in the process of removing the old tunnel and replacing it with an M-style aftermarket tunnel. Wow, that is alot of work!!
I also put the newer 01+ spindles on it, slightly lighter because they are cut out more.
I am putting a 151 rail set with a big wheel kit under it.
Taking pics along the way.
Thanks again for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts