Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 400 4 x 4 auto LE

Differential lock worked great all this summer. Had a bad CV axle. Took it to the dealer to have that replaced and tighten diff lock cable. Get aTV back; notice a clicking noise when turning to the right with four-wheel-drive engaged. Engaged and disengaged locking differential lever several times and the noise went away. Now however the diff lock does not work at all. The plunger moves and I have tightened the cable but it will not lock both wheels.

WTH???.....

·
Administrator
35,835 Posts
Take it back and get them to fix it properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called them on it.....tried to bullshit me and say it was my fault and that these ATVs are known To grenade differentials.

So i dont trust them.

I live about 35 miles from my closest dealer..... was hopin to fix it myself.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

·
Administrator
35,835 Posts
The only years that had diff issues are the 2008s and cat recalled them and replaced them for free.
Check the cable to make sure it is not getting hung up when you turn.
Hopefully they put in the correct axle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

Yea i fully adjusted the cable to where it is tensioned out. Whats strange is prior to adjusting it when it was making the clicking noise.....I flipped the locker lever in and out and that eliminated the clicking.

I will tomorrow pull on the axles to ensure they are properly installed.

·
Administrator
35,835 Posts
It may have just been an issue with the splines not lining up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

So how can I ensure that the splines are lined up? I fussed with again today and still.....nothing. I jacked up the front end to see if I could get the diff to lock - it acts like it wants to lock to where it "grabs" but then acts like an open diff.

I can spin one tire and see it trying to spin the other.....but then it again becomes an open differential.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts