Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out over the weekend and pulled up to cross a road and I thought I heard my cell phone beeping, so I opened up my zippered jacket pocket and pulled my wallet and cell phone out, put the wallet back in (I thought) and checked the message and returned it to the pocket.

About 30 minutes later I was home and discovered that my wallet was not in my zippered pocket, I must have dropped it inside my coat and it fell out on the trail, somewhere...

So I jump in the truck and screw back to the road crossing and start walking, although the trail was packed and groomed, it was really beginning to snow hard.
After walking 2-3 miles on the trail and not finding it, I hear my cell phone ring.
I thought I recognized the number, but when I answered it, the voice on the other end was unfamiliar.

The voice said, is this John? I said yeah, he said I was just talking with your wife and she gave me your cell number and I have your wallet!!

You can't believe how relieved I was, we met up shortly after and sure enough there it was!!

Needless to say this “good Samaritan” will be receiving a little something from me in the mail expressing my gratitude...

Thanks John T. from Henrietta NY!!!

Most of the snowmobilers I have met probably would have done the same, he didn't want to give me his address in fear that I would send along a reward..I had to coax it from him...what a guy!!! thumbguy

A side note to folks that carry cameras and such, you may want to tape on a nametag, phone number and address so that the guy who finds it can call you as soon as its found...

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Never happened to me, but it really could have. I pray to God it doesn't....We need more Good Samitarians to take a good care of us when we need their help. Bless John T. and his efforts in returning your wallet. Not worthy: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 30 2007, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was out over the weekend and pulled up to cross a road and I thought I heard my cell phone beeping, so I opened up my zippered jacket pocket and pulled my wallet and cell phone out, put the wallet back in (I thought) and checked the message and returned it to the pocket.

About 30 minutes later I was home and discovered that my wallet was not in my zippered pocket, I must have dropped it inside my coat and it fell out on the trail, somewhere...

So I jump in the truck and screw back to the road crossing and start walking, although the trail was packed and groomed, it was really beginning to snow hard.
After walking 2-3 miles on the trail and not finding it, I hear my cell phone ring.
I thought I recognized the number, but when I answered it, the voice on the other end was unfamiliar.

The voice said, is this John? I said yeah, he said I was just talking with your wife and she gave me your cell number and I have your wallet!!

You can't believe how relieved I was, we met up shortly after and sure enough there it was!!

Needless to say this "good Samaritan" will be receiving a little something from me in the mail expressing my gratitude...

Most of the snowmobilers I have met probably would have done the same, he didn't want to give me his address in fear that I would send along a reward..I had to coax it from him...what a guy!!! thumbguy

A side note to folks that carry cameras and such, you may want to tape on a nametag, phone number and address so that the guy who finds it can call you as soon as its found...[/b]
No but I lost my $600 glasses. I wear contacts when I go riding and I usually also carry my glasses in my handlebar bag. Just in case something happens because I can't see **** without my contacts or glasses. I went out and when I came home they were nowhere to be found. I'm not sure where they fell out but they did. I retraced my trip the next day but never did find them. An expensive ooopsie.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
It's cool reading stories like this ... just shows ya that there are still some good people left in the world.

I haven't had any problems like that, but a riding buddy lost his coat (with a $300 camera in it) a few years back. Some other guy with the same coat mistakenly grabbed my buddy's coat. Luckily for us, we ran into each other later that night and everything was taken care of. I honestly think the best thing to do is just like you say ... put your name & number on your gear or accessories in case something weird on the trail (or at a stop) happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 30 2007, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

A side note to folks that carry cameras and such, you may want to tape on a nametag, phone number and address so that the guy who finds it can call you as soon as its found...[/b]

Never my wallet, but strange reading your post. I live in Henrietta,NY & was out on probably the same trails as you, in Ontario NY, over the weekend & lost my cell phone out there the same way. Never found it.The first time it's ever happened to me & hopefully will be the last. :eek:

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gstrong1 @ Jan 30 2007, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 30 2007, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never my wallet, but strange reading your post. I live in Henrietta,NY & was out on probably the same trails as you, in Ontario NY, over the weekend & lost my cell phone out there the same way. Never found it.The first time it's ever happened to me & hopefully will be the last. :eek:
[/b][/quote]

gstrong1,

Do you have any idea where you may have lost it?

I ride those trails everyday, and I will be out again this afternoon.
If you have an idea where it may have been lost it might help, but I will keep my eyes open and if I find it you will be hearing from me.
J

·
Registered
29 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 30 2007, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
gstrong1,

Do you have any idea where you may have lost it?

I ride those trails everyday, and I will be out again this afternoon.
If you have an idea where it may have been lost it might help, but I will keep my eyes open and if I find it you will be hearing from me.
J[/b]

Hi 'CATnDOO'

We covered a fairly large area.
Put it at a buddys house on Whitney Rd. & spent the day in an area from rt.250 to the west to rt.350 to the east & 104 to the north & 286 to the south. Stopped into Kinleys & Charlie Ridels during the day. Thanks for the offer but don't spend time looking for it. It has to be buried by now. Cancelled the service on that one & insurance is having another delivered today. I'll look for your sled (avatar) this weekend in case your going to be out there for the poker run. Thanks again. -Gary- :thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
never lost a wallet, but i did lose my car & house keys while sledding. luckily for me i always keep a spare car key in my wallet. i've locked my keys in my jeep a few too many times. lol
had to break in my house thru a bedroom window when i got home.
never did find those keys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went riding one time with a bit of a head cold, had to keep stopping to clear the nose and somewhere I lost my credit card that was in my pocket. After getting home and calling the CC company to cancel the card they kept asking where it was that I lost it ..... I kept answering if I knew that I would just go get it and not be talking to them. Somewhat of a breakdown in communication was in progress.

On the other side. I work on the trail committee for the local club. Install signs, groom, etc etc. Spring time trail cleanups yield a multitude of items that are some times amazing. Things I've seen found: Cell phones of all sizes and colors (usually at road crossings or at the bottom of a hill after a rise), hats, spark plugs, oil bottles, windshields, gloves (never 2 just 1), A PAIR OF PANTS, brand new drive belts (usually find blown belts within 1/4 mile of a road crossing, probably from the stop and then hammer down rider), a few wallets and enough empty beer, soda and water bottles to support a fund raiser. Losing valuables is one thing..trash is another.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use a "biker wallet" chained to my belt. Keeps my wallet where it belongs! I do worry about my camera, gps, and keys though. In my experience, if it ain't chained down, I'll eventually lose it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
i Lost wallet when out ditch bangin in neighborhood and realized it. Only rode maybe total of 5 miles so back tracked......4ish weeks later got a call from a local farmer...Found my wallet in his field out walkin field trackin a deer. Got it back with everything in it. After i called and cancelled everything...But least i got SS card and all back....Its nice when people are honest..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not a snowmobile story but a boating story. Last June my GF and I were headed to a Hot Boat meet in Northern Virginia. We stopped in PA to use the bathroom. About 120 miles down the road she figures out she left her purse in the bathroom....Its midnight and Im on the side of the road calling on a cell phone trying to get the gas station phone number.

I finally reach the State Police. They send a car over and the girl working had found it and put it under the counter. It had about $800 in cash. :oops: We tried to find out who the girl was but never were able to.

About ten years ago I was out hunting at are Hunting Camp for the weekend. I go to get ready for work the next morning. I realize my wallet is missing. I headed back up to camp. The first place I looked was the OUT HOUSE!!!! It was laying on the floor... :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gstrong1 @ Jan 30 2007, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Jan 30 2007, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Wow, some really good story's here in this thread, glad to see most ended with a happy ending..

Gary, no luck yesterday with your cell, too much new snow and the trail was groomed and packed since the weekend.
I will keep an eye open for you at the poker run.
The trails look like they should be in great condition for the poker run.
See you there..
John

·
Registered
176 Posts
Back in 97 I was stationed in Alaska and was scheduled to go to Louisanna on temporary duty(TDY). I had all my travel cash in my wallet, approx $500.00. The night before I was going to leave I decided I needed one last ride before I went. When I got back to the house the wallet with all the money, all the cards and ID was gone. Long story short I had to have new cards delivered to the hotel in Louisanna and I was out the travel cash. I had written the wallet off for good. That spring the North Pole police called me and asked me if I had lost a wallet. I said I had but it was 2 months ago. Apparently a highway cleanup crew was doing their spring cleanup and one of the guys found my wallet and turned it into the police dept cash and all. I was shocked to say the least. I sent him a check and a nice letter. It's nice to see there are people in the world like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great story. We need all of us snowmobiliers to stick together like that. It will help our sport keep a good name.
Now we just need to keep the drinking accidents down and eliminated.
Ride hard, then go back to the cabin/motel and drink!!!!!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts