Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, was driving the sled fast on the pond the other day, when all of sudden I heard a wicked loud BANG!!! After that it ran ear splitting loud. But it still ran good and drove good?? Also I only had one spring connecting the muffler end to the resonator. And that broke off.
What happened???

So I just got a new(used) resonator for it and put that in, it is quieter than it was but still loud. Removed spark plugs to check compression and there was smoke coming out of both plug holes?

And compression was 90 psi on both sides.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Make sure its not the tester reading bad.. If it is even #age, and it runs good, im leaning towards a bad compression test. Unless, both sides went at the same time?! (unlikely..)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Run it at idle and feel for a exhaust leak along the y-pipe and the main pipe. I am guessing you split one or the other.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I was thinking the split y pipe too. It starts up in two pulls and idles and runs like a top!

Now when I did the compression test I only pulled the recoil once per cylinder? Should I have done more?

Also smoke comes out right where the exhaust pipe connects to the resonator.

I don't think the spring would make that loud of a bang when it broke off?

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
pull over 3 times

pull it over 3 times with throttle open
key and gas off
cold engine
then spray oil in each jug
repeat and look at numbers
they should increase
if they increase alot it is ring seal

·
Registered
566 Posts
If it still runs fine, I doubt its blown up. Sounds to me like an exhaust issue. If you pull the plugs out of an engine that was just running, a little smoke is normal. Its just left over gasses that didnt make it out. Both cylinders have the same compression when warm. If you do the test cold like stated above, the reading will certainly be higher. Usually when they burn down, one cylinder has considerably less compression than the other.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Are you sure it wasnt just unburned fuel in the exhaust that ignited and made a bang; which then caused the resonator to blow off of the pipe??

I get that bang once in a while if i run it hard then shut it off without letting it idle down for a few seconds...sometimes it "bangs" shortly after shut down; and other times i get the "bang" uppon restart when pipe is still hot.

I would pull the whole exhaust off and take the cover and insulation off of the pipe and look for cracks....or a even a hole! Chances are that there is a hole on the bottome side of the pipe. The insulation will hold moisture on the bottom and rust out the pipe. That Bang probably made a previous hole or crack from rust worse and finally let go after the "big bang"...thats my theory! lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx for all the replies. Yah she still runs and drives, so I don't think it's the engine. I'm thinking you guys are right about it being something to do with the exhaust.

I was driving it fast when it went bang.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok update. Pulled my muffler and y pipe off and checked for cracks and holes. Not a thing, they both look really good.

Did a compression test. 3 pulls on each cylinder. Both were 120 psi.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Check under the heat shields to see if the seam is blown. They do rust out under there. I had mine ceramic coated to keep it from rusting.

Steve

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with the exhaust problem. Inspect the grafoil seals at the pipe unions. Don't ride until you solve this issue or you may end up with are far worse problem. A major leak in the exhaust system changes the way it works. If you don't have the proper acoustic wave pushing your mixture back in to the engine, you could have a lean seize or melted piston crowns.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya all the seems along the exhaust are all good.

yes, I think putting new seals would be good. They are kind of old. Where can I getcsome of those?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would go genuine AC for those. I order things from Country Cat, (catbargains.com) quite often and have good luck plus fast delivery. I have tried aftermarket gaskets and was less than satisfied. They were thicker and did not want to fit properly. .030" between the port and the pipe is enough to throw tuning off. If you have an aftermarket pipe I would use their gaskets.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
No, my exhaust is stock. And I just looked those exhaust gaskets up. Man, they are expensive! But I guess I should go OEM, huh?

·
Registered
211 Posts
They're proud of them that's for sure, but a new set of gaskets and springs buys you many more miles and years riding before you have exhaust trouble again. Another good idea while you are waiting for your gaskets is to paint the pipe to prevent rust holes in the future. I usually paint mine every spring. The best paint I've found is John Deere's muffler black. It doesn't need to be heat cured and far outlasts the auto store stuff, cheaper too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts