Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that Arctic Cat is no longer going to carry the stronger white cup axles. And that the new quads, 2013 have a smaller axle. Is this true?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
yes they are fazing out the bigger axles with smaller ones.....with the removal of all 4.0s i guess they dont see the need for larger axles...silly silly arctic cat.

those big white cup axles is one of the best things they did and they are undoing it

·
Administrator
38,965 Posts
So 2012 mp axle is the only year?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'll have to go to the aftermarket to get an axle if I brake one on my pro. Got the 4.0s and you know how they like chewing up axles.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
So 2012 mp axle is the only year?
Actually heard they are cancelling out those part numbers as well...so once current stock of the larger ones are gone there will be no more

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I guess axles are cheaper than diffs!!!! Is that what they are saying.
Not really, they avoided the diff issues like always by getting rid of all diffs but 3.1s because its nearly impossible to break 3.1s

Im guessing they are just cheaping out with the axles

·
Administrator
38,965 Posts
Here's a 3.1 lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361924135.640529.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Common merv its very clear the 4wd pin dropped out on that diff lol :ph34r: there isnt a diff in the world that wouldnt blow apart in that case....I still stick to my word aside from defective welds on pins the 3.1 is pretty dang hard to break...heck even 3.6s arent to easy

·
Administrator
38,965 Posts
Lol ....yes that is a pin weld failure!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Refresh my memory, what makes the diff cases weaker with the 4.0s? It is evident that the 3.1s can break too.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Refresh my memory, what makes the diff cases weaker with the 4.0s? It is evident that the 3.1s can break too.
That failure has NOTHING to do with being a 3.1....that was purely improper welds on the 4wd pin and that would cause any diff to break.

I have seen less then a hand full of 3.1s break and they took SERIOUS work to do so....The reason they last longer is 4.0s have less teeth making it much easier for the gears to walk and break the case or destroy the teeth.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what kind of punishment or bind would you have to put the bike through to break a diff case. For instance my mud pro with the stock 28" zillas and 4.0s?

·
Administrator
38,965 Posts
Savage is right I was playing around. That failure was a direct result of the weld failing on the pin that holds the spider gears in place. There is a thread in the pinned section on the 08 diffs.

·
Registered
435 Posts
What does the 09 Thundercat have. 3.1?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Boooo!!! to smaller axle. I snapped 2 white cup axles both fronts plowing the super heavy wet snow we had last wednesday and was considering trying the white cups again but am leaning towards trying the rhino axles this time, that was axles 12 and 13 broken for me since 2007 lol axles are the only thing that has given me grief on my cats so far and dont like the idea of downsizing them

·
Administrator
38,965 Posts
There are two types of white cups. The regular white cup which is just a bit stronger and the the 12 mp axle which is much stronger.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts