Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is diamond drive exactly? Is it 2 gears messhing together eliminating a chain and jack shaft? What year sleds used this and do they still use it today? What are the advantages of dd?

·
Registered
525 Posts
The dd is simply a planetary gear set. There is a spur gear on the input shaft (driven pully) that engages the planetary gears. Just google "planetary gear" and there should be plenty of info out there. Some of the benifits are lighter weight and simpler packaging. Performance wise I think the jury may still be out on it, but there is supposed to be better low end response due to higher gear ratio (secondary can spin faster which can benefit the low end speed).

·
Registered
330 Posts
at first i really loved the dd,i jump alot and usually i would blow a chain or two a year. but because the dd sits so low in the sled, if you belly pan it, it basically "lands" on it, the cause is a bent shaft which makes it wobble. me along with two of my friends have experienced this. so like everything you get the pros and cons.
still would choose the dd though.just my 2 cents

·
Registered
128 Posts
The diamond drive is great I have a '05 F5 and it performs flawlessly. The issues mentioned don't have anything to do with the dd more bad clutching and abuse.

·
Registered
330 Posts
believe me, i take care of my sleds, keep up on my clutching etc, this was the explanation given to me from a snowmobile mechanic of 14 years.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FreezerBurnt @ Sep 9 2007, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Originally posted by 24k
Some of the benifits are lighter weight and simpler packaging.
NOT lighter and not that simple and EXPENSIVE to work on

there is a good reason performance shops are doing chaincase conversions on the DD equipped sleds and the fact Cat will be going back to chaincase on some sleds in 09

http://www.supremetoolinc.com/index.php?page=products
[/b]
doubt it dude... I know that one of the other manus offerd cat some money to buy the DD from them.. Cat said no.. I dont think we will see much of the chian case from cat anymore...

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Dude

No one offered $$$ to Cat for it

and why are performance shops like Supreme Tool and D&D spending money on conversions if it was so good in the 1st place

The concept of diamond drive was good in theorie but in the field it is far from a success even if it was 1st offered by Cat

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an 05 F6 Sno Pro and have just under 6000 miles on it. The diamond drive has held up great for me...I ride hard, off trail, on trail, and I ride with family members which is an easy ride (I ride everyway). I do have to think that after that many miles I would have had to adjust my chain or had an issue with it already. I dont think it really helps in adding much power or that it takes power. IMO it is a good thing for cat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FreezerBurnt @ Sep 9 2007, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude

No one offered $$$ to Cat for it

and why are performance shops like Supreme Tool and D&D spending money on conversions if it was so good in the 1st place

The concept of diamond drive was good in theorie but in the field it is far from a success even if it was 1st offered by Cat[/b]
I dunno if there was ever $$ offered, but i have read that Ski-doo wanted to exchange info. on the DD for info. on their 2-stroke injection systems that are much better than cats (at least with emissions).........AC decided not to do it..........

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (05 FIRE CAT 600SP @ Sep 10 2007, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have an 05 F6 Sno Pro and have just under 6000 miles on it. The diamond drive has held up great for me...I ride hard, off trail, on trail, and I ride with family members which is an easy ride (I ride everyway). I do have to think that after that many miles I would have had to adjust my chain or had an issue with it already. I dont think it really helps in adding much power or that it takes power. IMO it is a good thing for cat.[/b]

i agree with the reliability....i've never had a problem with mine, and now that i think about it i can't really remember reading very many (if any?) posts on here about problems with the DD reliability.........not talking performance here............

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I thought Cat had advertised the DD as being 11 pounds lighter?

I don't think it's reliability is in question....no more than a chaincase. Where I see the issue is that they changed the clutching setup and mayeb it was too much at once. Issues seem to be more with the clutching setups working with the DD.

So far I like it, but I keep my eye on it constantly. Keeping it clean and properly lubed is important.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The weight loss comes in the form of rotating mass, which is huge. The reason the DD sleds supposedly aren't performing like they should is more due to the clutching than anything else. If you take a 2006 F-7 for instance, gear it identical to the chain case setup that is proven, use the old style reverse cam clutches like the old sleds have, then the DD sled will walk away from the chain, it is that simple, and much more efficient. Until they get the clutching figured out, the DD will get a bad wrap!

~Fast

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Also, from a weight savings perspective ... the original DD without reverse was 11 pounds lighter. The current DD with reverse is not lighter at all. I agree with the majority here though - it all comes down to clutching. Well, that and the stupid EPA not allowing Cat to offer something really significant. But that's where the aftermarket guys come into the picture I guess.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I refuse to buy another sled with DD, it works great except for high speed/high load.
You always here people say they can run triple digit speeds but its on ice and plowed roads.
In the snow my 03 is 10mph faster but on ice they are equal.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rsss396 @ Sep 11 2007, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I refuse to buy another sled with DD, it works great except for high speed/high load.
You always here people say they can run triple digit speeds but its on ice and plowed roads.
In the snow my 03 is 10mph faster but on ice they are equal.[/b]

Exactly my point, it is a function of your clutches being.... too good at shifting back when you hit snow. The '03 was great in the fact that it could pull through the snow without having too downshift sooo much. The DD does give more positive feedback to the secondary, but if it were perfect, then the DD would be just as fast as your '03. My brother had a '05 F-7 that smoked any '03 he ever ran across, and that was Diamond drive??

~Fast

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cat claimed it lost 11 pounds, it was the proto's which were a POS , they strenthened the dd, and its with in a couple pounds of a full chain case system. The whole 11 pounds is just marketing and the sheep fell for it. If the DD is so glorious they would be using it on the sno pro race sled, don't try to give us the whole crap load about chains being quicker to change gears, you can swap out a whole diamond drive assembly under 10 minutes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
has anybody seen a dd with the old style clutch that I believe they are making out of billet aluim.

I hear they are pricey but wondering if they worked?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts