Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weekends ago the bearings at the brake side broke. So i bought new bearings, and dissasembled most of the snowmobile.
But here's the problem, the drive shaft is now stuck to the diamond drive. Do anybody here got any advise how to get the shaft to part from the diamond drive? I have tried to pry the DD from its place with crowbars while hammering on the shaft, but its stuck. The only thing that happens is that im bending the chassies/bulkhead.

I have followed this guide How to Change a Track with Diamond Drive , everything went good except the part with the DD.

The snowmobile is an crossfire 800 2007

I apologize for my bad english.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but just want to make sure you pulled the bolt that holds the two together?

Assuming so, but never hurts to ask. I'd hit it with some PB blaster or similar but aside from that & prying, not sure what else to try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably a stupid question, but just want to make sure you pulled the bolt that holds the two together?

Assuming so, but never hurts to ask. I'd hit it with some PB blaster or similar but aside from that & prying, not sure what else to try.
The bolt inside the shaft? Yes..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are you saying the shaft is stuck to the DD, or the DD is stuck to the tunnel...or both?

You said the tunnel is bending because you tried to pry the DD from its place. Sounds like the DD itself is maybe just stuck and never been removed?

Do you already have the brake side apart? Do you have any wiggle room? I'd think that if the shaft is actually stuck to the DD, you could use it to leveral the DD free with some wiggle room on the brake side.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Worts case scenario...take the flanged bolt that goes inside the track shaft and bolts into the DD and screw it back in until it seats. Then turn it out a couple turns and try tapping hammering on the socket/extension and see if it will come loose. Problem is if you hit it too hard you can mung up the threads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying the shaft is stuck to the DD, or the DD is stuck to the tunnel...or both?

You said the tunnel is bending because you tried to pry the DD from its place. Sounds like the DD itself is maybe just stuck and never been removed?

Do you already have the brake side apart? Do you have any wiggle room? I'd think that if the shaft is actually stuck to the DD, you could use it to leveral the DD free with some wiggle room on the brake side.
It's the dd that is stuck to the shaft, and the only thing connecting them is the axle from the dd into the drive shaft. the brake caliper and the mount for the bearing is disassembled. the bearings exploded so the axle was loose even before I took apart the brake and such.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worts case scenario...take the flanged bolt that goes inside the track shaft and bolts into the DD and screw it back in until it seats. Then turn it out a couple turns and try tapping hammering on the socket/extension and see if it will come loose. Problem is if you hit it too hard you can mung up the threads.
I'll think won't try that, gotta be careful not to wreck the
"rotation tracks" for the bolt, and the metal is so soft. kinda easy to brake it. sorry for my bad English...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Another option is to use a long drift with a smaller diameter than the bolt so you are not damaging the threads and the drift seats in the base of the tapped hole in the gear and you are not driving on the threads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another option is to use a long drift with a smaller diameter than the bolt so you are not damaging the threads and the drift seats in the base of the tapped hole in the gear and you are not driving on the threads.
yea i'll do that i think. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You need a bigger BFH!
Na i've tried it but hitting the shaft is like hitting a piece of rock. It wont budge an inch. I got my biggest sledgehammer and a nice steel rod but yeah, didn't work either. Tomorrow i will buy one of them slide hammers and try to pull it out..
And that will be my last try, if it doesn't work, i'll leave it to a dealer and see if they can make something out of it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update: I bought a slide hammer 2,5kg (5,5lbs) yesterday and thought that it would work by pulling out the shaft. But i've given up now. I'll leave it to some proffessional mechanics at a local dealer tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts