Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed over on HCS that people are saying they do and Dont like the dimond direct drive. I was woundering why people like and dislike the drive. I am looking towards a crossfire 06-08 if they make an 08 with diamond direct drive.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
the only thing I don't like about my 06 is no reverse. other than that I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
I've had my doubts when they first came out in the '04 ZR 900's. They had a quite few problems back then and it seemed to work out flawlessly ever since. Faith in them nowadays instilled in me and will try them out if I do purchase a new sled.

'06 towards to newer Crossfires are equipped with Diamond Drives, Never Chaincase...Where did you come to this point as in "I am looking towards a crossfire 06-08 if they make an 08 with diamond direct drive". I dunno

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill re phraze that. i am looking towards buying a crossfire a 06-08. and i know they all have diamond drive. i just want to know why some people do and dont like it.
Also i herd you have to change the oil in it after every year. true or false

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
My opinion is that the tuning options have been limited up until late this season. I think that left a lot of people behind. Cat has nowimproved stock clutching for 07 and there are a LOT more tunin goptions. Still quite a bit of controversy on compression springs vs torsion setups, but lots of us are having good success with the newer options for compression springs. I really like the DD once you get it set up to your satisfaction. It holds a ton of promise for the future and much easier to work on/with and more durable than a chaincase system.

My opinion.......

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
My 2005 F-7 SP the only thing I didn't like was no reverse. Now my CF1000SP has it and I love it. No problems with them at all. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Feb 1 2007, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ill re phraze that. i am looking towards buying a crossfire a 06-08. and i know they all have diamond drive. i just want to know why some people do and dont like it.
Also i herd you have to change the oil in it after every year. true or false[/b]

I have had 4 sleds so far with the Ddrive....i like them.
And yes change the oil yearly, just like a caincase.
But no chain to break as they often seem to do.
Every year i tow out a sled with a broken chain it seems.
If i had a sled with a chaincase again I will change the chain as well as the oil annually.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Most of the time when a chain breaks it is because the operator has lacked on his (or her) maintenance of the system.

I maintain my chain system and have had all of mine last over 10,000 miles.

A pro of the system is reduced weight. Total "wind-up" is also reduced.

A con to the system could be gearing changes. I am not sure how easy that would be with the design because of the use of planetary gears (and cost).
[attachment=62562:55460.jpg]

You can read all about the design and operational fundamentals here
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...p;RS=PN/7063639

Plenty of pictures and details.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
DD gears are spendy yes.

The only other con I see is the time it takes to work on the DD secondary clutch. Takes about a half hour to disassemble / re-assemble compared to 5 minutes with the old clutches.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a question also about these. My new sled has it and seems like the belt is slipping in the secondary. And it makes a noise when you take off and when you look at the belt it sits low in the secondary. How can adjust that??

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts