Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been a frustrating 2 months. I made allot of mods to my sled at one time to include a boondocker box. When I completed everything I found some settings on the D&D website for a laydown 7 with mods similar to what I'm running. I was so freakin excited to take the sled out and rip past my riding partner (Stock XFire 700). The day came and he smoked my ass, laughing all the way. I was pissed; then, the work began. I had a bog from idle all the way to 7K RPM and then it just walked up to 7.5K and would go no further. I didn't have a EGT gauge and was reading the spark plugs to ensure I didn't get to lean. Finally, I started making some head way and decided to finish all the mods I had planned. I just installed 59/61 gears to replace the 65/55's I had and installed a SLP air kit, figured it couldn't hurt considering how rich I was.

Like I said I just finished putting the diamond drive back in a few hours ago and got everything else put back together to include the a clutch setup I want to test. I know I'm putting the horse before the cart; but, what the hell. I started the XFire and started running the motor up, for the first time since I have owned it, the belt started running all the way up the primary sheave. The plugs are looking better, finally I'm seeing some improvement. Sure was nice seeing the belt wipe the face of the primary clean! BTW, I have a set of 65/55 gears for sale if anyone wants em.

I'm working with a friend who has a diamond drive FCat and my other buddy who has a XFire; we are going to pull both of their clutches and install different setups on all 3. I have a sledJunky setup with a team conversion, a ODS setup, and the Cat seconday with 44/40 Helix, Cat Orange spring, and shift assist///stock yellow and 78g Daltons in primary. I'll post more when we do the testing. This Sunday I'm going to spend the entire day making further changes to the fuel map in my boondocker. Can't wait!!! You know how it is when you can't make something work right and it just knaws at you everyday, well thats been me for the last 2 months trying to dial in this sled! I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If anyone is interested, I made the following mods to the engine: Boondocker, D&D porting, shaved head, Boysean Reeds, SLP Air Kit, D&D Pipe and Y-Pipe and 59/61 gears. I going to keep the stock can, I think it will perform better than sticking on an aftermarket one. After all of this, I have ended up going to negative numbers on the boondocker all the way up to 6.5K RPMs, then the engine wants fuel and quite a bit up top.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't have nearly as much mods as you....

I have a D&D y-pipe and single pipe a long with their clutch kit. This set up rocked last year, On super packed snow I was hitting 100 in no time and I would climb up to 110, max was 112 with this set up in 4-5 miles wot. Everything seemed fine, a bit of a hesitation off the line if I waited too long but if I kept my rpms just under engagement it never loaded up and ran like a rapped ape.

This year same thing as last year, it ran like a rapped ape until I added fitch fuel catalyst, well it still ran like a rapped ape but it loaded up must faster then before and over a two week period, my idel rpm increased from 17-1900 to 22-2400 without anyother mods, it only drops to 17-1900 when it loads up and is about to drop a plug.

After hard runs, WOT for any amount of time 5 seconds or 30 seconds and I coast to a stop, my idel is up at 29-3100 rpm then slowly drops to 22-2400, the longer I got wot the longer I have to wait for the rpm to drop. My Max RPMS where 80-8100 before I add fitch and after I'm consistantly up to 8300 and the max I have seen is 8450.

After wot runs I cost to a stop and shut down, every now and then when I start it up, it runs on one cylinder, mag side is flooded. Or if I turn around to go wot again it has a bog so I have to let off the gas and pin it again. After wot runs I hit the kill switch and check my plugs, they are super wet so I dropped 2 points all cross the board after my first night of testing.

It felt better, and all the ranges seemed cleaner but then I got a bit of a bog around the 7000 rpm range after dropping 2 points so I think my vavles are a little gummed up now. Once I get back from my trip in a couple of weeks I plan on doing more testing but I'll clean my APV's first.

The Fitch fuel Catalyst has given my more rpms and created a rich condition. My mpg is about average I would say. Slow, none aggressive riding (with my dad of course) I'm getting up 14 mpg, this is anaverage speed of 20-25 mph. When riding with my friends I'm getting 10-11 mpg, we do quite a bit of sea ice racing and drag racing up hills and our average speed is 40-50 mph. When I was out testing the other night I was getting 8-9 mpg and this is all WOT runs back and forth average speed was about 80 mph that night. Once I get my boondocker dialed in I will provide more information on fitch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Crossfire and F series fuel maps are actually different due to the intake design. I too started with F7 settings, and have moved almost 15 points down from there since then on some settings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M7-Dave @ Feb 9 2007, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Crossfire and F series fuel maps are actually different due to the intake design. I too started with F7 settings, and have moved almost 15 points down from there since then on some settings.[/b]
Your absolutely right! My buddy on the F7 has a boondocker, with about same mods I have except he has twin pipes. (which will lean out everything even more). His numbers are much richer on the top end...he has like a 35 on 8.5K I think. What really got me moving in the right direction is someone I know who has a '06 M-7. His low/mid range numbers gave me a better baseline to work off of.

·
Registered
61 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlewByU @ Feb 9 2007, 03:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, it's been a frustrating 2 months. I made allot of mods to my sled at one time to include a boondocker box. When I completed everything I found some settings on the D&D website for a laydown 7 with mods similar to what I'm running. I was so freakin excited to take the sled out and rip past my riding partner (Stock XFire 700). The day came and he smoked my ass, laughing all the way. I was pissed; then, the work began. I had a bog from idle all the way to 7K RPM and then it just walked up to 7.5K and would go no further. I didn't have a EGT gauge and was reading the spark plugs to ensure I didn't get to lean. Finally, I started making some head way and decided to finish all the mods I had planned. I just installed 59/61 gears to replace the 65/55's I had and installed a SLP air kit, figured it couldn't hurt considering how rich I was.

Like I said I just finished putting the diamond drive back in a few hours ago and got everything else put back together to include the a clutch setup I want to test. I know I'm putting the horse before the cart; but, what the hell. I started the XFire and started running the motor up, for the first time since I have owned it, the belt started running all the way up the primary sheave. The plugs are looking better, finally I'm seeing some improvement. Sure was nice seeing the belt wipe the face of the primary clean! BTW, I have a set of 65/55 gears for sale if anyone wants em.

I'm working with a friend who has a diamond drive FCat and my other buddy who has a XFire; we are going to pull both of their clutches and install different setups on all 3. I have a sledJunky setup with a team conversion, a ODS setup, and the Cat seconday with 44/40 Helix, Cat Orange spring, and shift assist///stock yellow and 78g Daltons in primary. I'll post more when we do the testing. This Sunday I'm going to spend the entire day making further changes to the fuel map in my boondocker. Can't wait!!! You know how it is when you can't make something work right and it just knaws at you everyday, well thats been me for the last 2 months trying to dial in this sled! I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If anyone is interested, I made the following mods to the engine: Boondocker, D&D porting, shaved head, Boysean Reeds, SLP Air Kit, D&D Pipe and Y-Pipe and 59/61 gears. I going to keep the stock can, I think it will perform better than sticking on an aftermarket one. After all of this, I have ended up going to negative numbers on the boondocker all the way up to 6.5K RPMs, then the engine wants fuel and quite a bit up top.[/b]
I AM PRETTY MUCH IN THE SAME BOAT YOU ARE, BUT I HAVE A FIRECAT. I HAVE SPEEDWERX PIPE, D&D Y-PIPE, BIG AIR INTAKE, 2.5 DEGREE TIMING KEY, RUMBLE PACK, S/W CLUTCH KIT W/ TI. SPRING AND 73.5 GRAM WEIGHTS AND THE BOONEDOCKER. MY BUDDY HAS THE SAME EXACT SLED BUT BONE STOCK AND HE BLOWS ME AWAY AFTER WE HIT 80 MPH. I AM STILL TRYING TO DIAL IN THE B/D, I HAVENT HAD TO MUCH LUCK YET. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DIAL THE SLED IN NOW FOR 600 MILES, GETTING VERY FRUSTERATED. I HAVE SPENT PLENTY OF $ TO MAKE THIS SLED GO FASTER NOT SLOWER THAN A STOCKER. LET ME KNOW HOW SUNDAY GOES AND IF YOU HAVE ANY INPUT FOR ME. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firecat,

My buddy with the F7 is quite the sledhead. He has his boondocker dialed in pretty good...the sled flat out rips. He is on HCS quite a bit; you can PM him (SirCATchAlot is his handle on that site). Tell him that Rick told you about him. He rides at sealevel to 3-4K' and about the only difference is he has twin pipes, so he is probably leaner than you are. I know that he has really big numbers on top. BTW...what numbers do you have right now, if you don't mind sharing. Curious what you have.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FIRECAT ER @ Feb 9 2007, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
3000 TO 6700 -3'S, 7300 TO 8100 +2'S AND +2 ON THE PTO SIDE IN EVERY RPM RANGE.[/b]
- What year Firecat?

- How does your sled react through the powerband?

- Are you getting a bog on the top end at WOT? Looks like pretty small numbers on top, takes quite a bit of fuel to produce the HP on topend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
06', BOGS AT LOW END THEN GOES LIKE A BANSHEE, NO BOG AT TOP END. I WAS TOLD BY SPEEDWERX TO GO - NUMBERS ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE RPM RANGE, PRETTY MUCH ALL -4'S. I DID THAT AND ALMOST BURNT MY SLED UP!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FIRECAT ER @ Feb 9 2007, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
06', BOGS AT LOW END THEN GOES LIKE A BANSHEE, NO BOG AT TOP END. I WAS TOLD BY SPEEDWERX TO GO - NUMBERS ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE RPM RANGE, PRETTY MUCH ALL -4'S. I DID THAT AND ALMOST BURNT MY SLED UP![/b]
What do you plugs look like at idle? When I make adjustments, I drop 2 numbers at a time, then look at the plugs. When you hit what you think is a milestone, check the piston wash. The only way I know to get a accurate reading on piston wash at a certain RPM is to run that RPM range and then kill the motor and look at plugs.

My goal is to stay a little rich, I don't want to run that fine line between rich/lean.

Do you have an EGT gauge? If so, don't solely rely on it for accurate readings. If your running 1150/1200 degrees, kill it and check your piston wash to see what the correlation is between the two.

I'm by no means a pro on this, I've just been reading as much as possible so I can get mine setup right. Don't just pop someones numbers in your boondocker and assume they will work on your sled, sounds like you learned that...I did too!

·
Registered
61 Posts
PLUGS ARE PRETTY RICH AT IDLE, DONT HAVE A EGT GAUGE YET ORDERED THE KOSO TWIN GAUGE, SHOULD HAVE IT BY MON. I AM ALSO GOING RIDING ON SUN. GOING TO TRY A FEW NEW PROGRAMS.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have my BD dialed in just right and the sled rips through the whole RPM range. The mods that I have are timing key, big air intake, and can. My sled is in getting fit for a new style y pipe right now so we will see how it works with it on the dyno and real world testing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (appollo1 @ Feb 9 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have my BD is dialed in just right and the sled rips through the whole RPM range. The mods that I have are timing key, big air intake, and can. My sled is in getting fit for a new style y pipe right now so we will see how it works with it on the dyno and real world testing.[/b]

What timing key do you have, 2.5? When I get everything setup, I'll probably install one. Did you notice a noticeable difference? Curious to hear about the Y-Pipe and dyno results of your setup. Are you running stock clutching?

·
Registered
184 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlewByU @ Feb 10 2007, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (appollo1 @ Feb 9 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have my BD is dialed in just right and the sled rips through the whole RPM range. The mods that I have are timing key, big air intake, and can. My sled is in getting fit for a new style y pipe right now so we will see how it works with it on the dyno and real world testing.[/b]

What timing key do you have, 2.5? When I get everything setup, I'll probably install one. Did you notice a noticeable difference? Curious to hear about the Y-Pipe and dyno results of your setup. Are you running stock clutching?
[/b][/quote]

I did notice a big difference from last years setup ( clutching ) to this years setup. Last year the sled would only hit 100 no matter how long of a pull. This year it is doing around 105 -106 in a much shorter distance.
I am running Straightline Performance's clutch kit. I can't remember what timing key was put in, I will see if I can find out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (appollo1 @ Feb 10 2007, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlewByU @ Feb 10 2007, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (appollo1 @ Feb 9 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I did notice a big difference from last years setup ( clutching ) to this years setup. Last year the sled would only hit 100 no matter how long of a pull. This year it is doing around 105 -106 in a much shorter distance.
I am running Straightline Performance's clutch kit. I can't remember what timing key was put in, I will see if I can find out.
[/b][/quote]

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM RIGHT NOW, I HIT 100 AND THATS IT. I AM CURIOUS ON WHAT YOU HAVE YOUR BOONDOCKER SET AT?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't understand why you don't just buy the XF-1000 to start with. You put all this money into a 700 to get it faster. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a 1000 and then all you have to do is wave at your buddies when you pass them?? Granted, I'm not a mechanic like most of you guys are. I wish I was, because you guys seem to know everything there is to know about these machines, and thats awesome. I buy a stock sled and ride the hell out of it. My XF-700 does over 100 at will so far when I have rode it. Like I said, just my opinion, if I needed to go that much faster, I would have bought a bigger sled. It seems that when you add things to these sleds all you have is problems at some point after you install them. Well just had to add my comment. Have fun riding, thats what it's all about.

·
Registered
184 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Orange Crusher @ Feb 12 2007, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't understand why you don't just buy the XF-1000 to start with. You put all this money into a 700 to get it faster. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a 1000 and then all you have to do is wave at your buddies when you pass them?? Granted, I'm not a mechanic like most of you guys are. I wish I was, because you guys seem to know everything there is to know about these machines, and thats awesome. I buy a stock sled and ride the hell out of it. My XF-700 does over 100 at will so far when I have rode it. Like I said, just my opinion, if I needed to go that much faster, I would have bought a bigger sled. It seems that when you add things to these sleds all you have is problems at some point after you install them. Well just had to add my comment. Have fun riding, thats what it's all about.[/b]
If the 1000 would have been out a year and a half ago I would have bought it, but I think that I would still do a few things to get it going.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts