Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know I just bought my first arctic cat 500 2007 auto last week, and after trolling around on other sites, yamaha, honda, etc. I have to be honest. I hope I made the right choice for my first 4x4 atv, Always had race quads. Those other sites are really depressing because it seems as though they have nothing good to say about our cats. Just thought that I would vent here.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
well straight up the AC's ain't the best handling utes out, they are the best IMO for mud and the rough stuff though.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
you did..cats have higher ground clearance better frames and nicer looks...They just rag on cat because its a site specific to their brand..if you look through this site we're not quite as bad but do stand by our cats. Trust me i have a 700h1 and i made more than a few ppl take a second look after seein what mine can do and how it performs. Its by no means the fastest quad out there but they are very capable machines and do well in the mud and never disapoint for around the yard...they are a little on the heavy side but that makes them good for towing and thing of that nature

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I am not looking for best handling because me and my wife (newly weds as of this past may) want to hit up some trails. So After going fast all my life I want to slow it down and enjoy the view if you know what I mean. I def will not be beating on this atv, The deepest mud around here that I would be going through is prob only up to the tires. The terrain around where I live is rough, alot of down tree,s and rocks. I just hope this bike is reliable. Do wanna get stranded. especially because my buds, already named my new toy "the Arctic choke!!!" lol

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
If my budds named my bike that i would not even ride with them anymore..lol

These bikes are just as good if not better then ALOT of others they will go places in 2wd where most others need 4wd. ruff and nasty trails are what they where built for and they take it better then the other makes of atvs IMO.

the only down side to them IMO is bushing, the shock bushing and a-arm bushing are not the best but Sanny on here makes some good shock bushing to take care of that.

In our riding group others start out on different brands but end up switching over to ACs becasue they can take so much abuse..lol

·
Premium Member
4,517 Posts
For the riding you described it's hard to beat an Arctic Cat. You will be very happy. Especially when you can go places the other can't Or when you make a tough trail look easy and the Yamaha's & Honda's struggle Or when you climb over a log that they get hung up on Or when the Honda gets stuck and only 3 wheels spin......

·
Super Moderator
5,047 Posts
Just go check it out with them and see how it does for you. I hate brand war bullshit. I still defend Polaris because myself and most of my friends have had the best luck with them. I love my Cat now, and hopefully you will show the short penis syndrome bunch the Cat can hang with the best. It may not win a drag race, but will excel in other areas.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goombadi99 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well I am not looking for best handling because me and my wife (newly weds as of this past may) want to hit up some trails. So After going fast all my life I want to slow it down and enjoy the view if you know what I mean. I def will not be beating on this atv, The deepest mud around here that I would be going through is prob only up to the tires. The terrain around where I live is rough, alot of down tree,s and rocks. I just hope this bike is reliable. Do wanna get stranded. especially because my buds, already named my new toy "the Arctic choke!!!" lol[/b]
you gotta good quad for your needs, it'll be a tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks!! you guys are really top notch people. I feel alot better about it now, its almost like theropy!!!!LOL

·
Registered
198 Posts
Your cat kicks butt and does very well in all areas. It is heavier than most others because it is overbuilt to handle the work it is made to do. It's not the fastest because of the weight, but it is a ute, not a racer. I would think that since you are coming from race quads to utes, anything is gonna feel slow in comparison. I dunno I have a 400 and it is no speed demon by any means, but it will go ANYWHERE i ask it to go. It plows more snow than my friends quads, again because of the weight and it has never let me down. Enjoy your new ride and put it through it's paces...you'll love it ! Cat happy

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
You made the right choice! I've got 5200 km on my 500. She has performed great and went almost everywhere I wanted. I pulled out a Polaris with a broken A arm and had to help a Honda pull out a Canam with a broken clutch up some hills after the Yamaha 700 spun out and slid backwards!! The racks are second to none, ground clearance and Diff lock make it a great unit. AC only needs to come out with power steering.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CozmoCat @ Nov 19 2009, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You made the right choice! I've got 5200 km on my 500. She has performed great and went almost everywhere I wanted. I pulled out a Polaris with a broken A arm and had to help a Honda pull out a Canam with a broken clutch up some hills after the Yamaha 700 spun out and slid backwards!! The racks are second to none, ground clearance and Diff lock make it a great unit. AC only needs to come out with power steering.[/b]
check out the caster mod in pinned, less than 2 bucks for lighter steering.

·
Registered
401 Posts
ive noticed that this site is good at being honest and not really brand bashing. you ask a question and you get honest answers as some of the comments above indicate. they all pretty much said , hey my cat maybe cant to this or that but is very good at that or this. and no one even mentioned a different brand quad in an attempt to bash it. but now on the other hand im sure the sites you visited and asked questions about your cat were quick to call the quad anything but nice. i think these other sites suffer from something similar to penis envy but for atv's. everybody knows cats are the biggest. you just tell your friends that yours is bigger than theirs.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Cats are great machines, looks, performance, relability, overall, just great machines, I have pulled out all kinds of machines with my race quad out on the trails (when I used to trail ride it) Its still to me the funniest pulling out a Cat utility with 4x4 with a cat race machine. Everyone I have talked to likes the looks of the cats over every other machine, even when the 400s were the hot ticket in the race scene, The only thing I can think of as to why they flopped is Cat was never known for a race quad. I feel that if they came out with a 450fi it would be the new hot machine out there on the race machine! There is so much you can do with these machines, work and cosmeticly

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ride it and enjoy it and don't pay any attention to the other fourms that like to bash AC's. I have a 07 400 and it has gone where other brands can't its quick on the bottom and midrange but not a top end machine...but I'm not into top end speed. I like pulling power and it shines there.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
something else you might want to know goombadi99, the 500 motor in your quad is made by suzuki, same motor as is used in the vinson. the 400 is the same motor as an eiger. so you know right off anything said on a suzuki forum about relialbility was bull. you can save dough on parts by getting suzuki parts in alot of cases though.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Dont worry about your cat. I have had mine over two years now. I pulled a dead semi around the drive way with it. I have pulled more wood in the past two years then my old dodge ever did.

The frames on these machines are so fricking heavy. Last winter my tractor was in getting a new hydraulic pump. I was having to put hay in with my quad. My quad was dragging 1800 pound bales through the snow.

Now i only have a little 400. How ever, i have changed the oil and kept it maintained and i have not spared the "rod" in any shape form or fashion. I have flipped mine once, my step father rolled his 3 times. I hit a two foot deep rut @ 30+ in a corn field with my front left tire. Cat didn't even flinch.

Maintain it, put some decent tires on it and ride it like you stole it. When and if you ever do have a problem, the members of this forums are better then 90% of the service techs you will talk to at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
oh ya brand wars lol
i get it here all the time where i live between honda guys,popo guys the list goes on.
ive owned 2 outlander 800s one was a max with 29,5 the other a single seater with the same
great ride real plush but i had issues with visca lock which was a major let down.
alot of frame flex in off camber situations that i didnt like etc etc sold them both.

had a 660 grizzly diff lock,good power light steering but hated water
every time i would cross a river i cringed of it stalling and if not after i got out it would for some reason set off the rev limiter at a low rpm 3500. sold gone

had a honda ricon decent ride electric shift always started reguadless
after going through brakes,electrical problems with water (wouldnt shift out of first until it dried out)
wheel bearings 2 sets of rings sold it.

in between having those machines i owned cats 400 le ,650vtwin le 650 h1 x2 etc etc.

now i have cats new m/p just turned 1200 miles 1000 miles on 29,5 outlaws
and to be honest it has not been babied what so ever, it gained some battle scars.

one thing i do know is i am always called upon from the guys i ride with to either tackle the mud holes first, or pull them out and they are not happy

one comment was go get mr supertires other comments are that i need my own trails because they get stuck in my ruts, lol

let them call your machine what they want sooner or later they will be calling upon you for help.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I just pulled out a Can-am from a mudhole that my cat would walk through. But in the summer of 08 I had to be towed out because of starter problems. What ever brand ATV breaks on the ride, it will be bashed untill the next ride. Your Cat can hang with the best of them. The trick is to check everything out before you ride.

Good luck with your new cat. My wife loves to come on rides with me. Never try to break any speed records but we have a great time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts