Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks for taking the time to read. As I posted in Sept, I bought 2 x Alterra 500 EFI’s and 1 Alterra 90 for my boys for Christmas. I was talking to my wife yesterday and decided I’d sell my 1900 Roadliner S and go buy something we can enjoy with them. I found a couple models I like but need some input on if the extra cost is worth it.

Yes, I’m probably overthinking it but I already spent $13,000 on new Atvs 6weeks ago and I’m selling my baby to buy more. Input is needed.

Here are the models I’m wrestling with:

2017 Arctic Cat Alterra TRV 700 XT
Price: $9,253.00

Advantages:
695cc
4x4 electronic locking differential
Power steering
Factory 2 seater

2018 Textron Off Road Alterra VLX 700
Price: $5599.00

Key points:
695cc
4x4 mechanical Slip differential (lever)
No power steering
Not made for passengers

Or buy 2 of these, one for me and one for the wife:

2018 Textron Off Road Alterra 500 EFI
Price: $4199.00

Key points:
443cc
4x4 electronic Slip differential
No power steering
We each have our own ATV

Are the other bells and whistles worth the money, ie, 695cc, power steering, locking differential, buy 2 so we each have our own at 443cc or just meet in the middle and get the VLX and throw a lounger trunk on the back and save some money?

She hasn’t really shown interest in her own (probably to save money) but she was born and raised a farm girl and has 3 sons, should I give her the benefit of the doubt. Buy her her own, get one for myself and save the cash or find middle ground and buy one she can ride with me often?

Other thoughts, If I do buy her her own and she doesn’t ride it much, in about 6 years there will be another boy big enough to ride it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should probably mention I’m likely to buy 40 acres with 28 acres of timber this month. That will have an impact on how much use these will get.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I think once you ride the TRV 700, you might be sold. At least, I was when I got my 2014. 700 is a great motor, extra wheel base makes for a stable feel, especially on steep trails and power steering really grows on you. Riding 2 up on a TRV comparing to a regular ATV with a lounger seat is day and nite. I did a 200 mile ride with (4x4hans) and his adult son and daughter on both of my TRV's this summer. At the end of the ride, everyone was surprised how easy it was. We all switched from riding to driving at about 50 miles, but 2 up on a short wb just isn't the same.

·
Administrator
37,083 Posts
X2 on the TRV much safer to carry a passenger and the ride is much better due to the longer wheel base. Whatever you do GET power steering.

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
Agreed x3. The TRV is very versatile. It does pretty much everything well. You can use it for work or play. They are very stable, and seem to last forever.

My only advice on the TRV is to sit on it with your wife to make sure it is comfortable. For some folks the hand holds on the passenger seat can be in an odd position.

All in all, it is going to be a very comfortable ride for the average couple. The TRV doesn't get the attention it deserves because it is overshadowed by the UTV trend.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
BTW, a few weeks ago, I had friends up from New Hampshire to ride trails with their RZR 900 sxs. I had no trouble keeping up, rather they got hung up on some narrow twisty sections and finally as we got near our goal, they had to turn around and go back because their machine was 2"s too wide to cross a narrow bridge over a river. They would have had a much better ride on my TRV! Too bad I had left my rear seat home, as I could have ferried them to a famous place to eat! Nice video, but those tires are not the best, mine came with ITP Terra Cross RT'S, very nice tires. I like that color combo!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, I am not a fan of the UTV trend. In my opinion, the ones I’ve been in are pretty rough riding. My father-in-law’s would bounce you out if you weren’t hanging on. It’s not the same as having your feet planted on either side of you. Not to mention, like you said, tight spaces.

I did buy that 700 TRV Special Edition. I will pick it up Saturday. My older boys are having a fit because I bought me one before them. Max is pretending he is upset but can’t stop grinning ear to ear when he tells me he is mad. I say, “riding on the back is still better than nothing, right?” I get a resounding NO, followed by a great big smile. In his defense, he still thinks his little dirt bike is sitting at the bike shop waiting to be sold. He doesn’t know I sold that thing 15 min after I listed it.

They don’t know I already bought them a pair of 500 4x4’s. They are going with me to get the 700. It’s cruel but I want to see them drool over their possibilities. Wife says I’m just stirring the pot but I think it’ll be that much more satisfying Christmas morning if they have their hearts set on a smaller less expensive ride like a 150cc (because I keep reminding them how expensive they are). They also think they have to share one, blahahaha. Yep, this is me stirring the pot and I’m loving it.

My little man doesn’t care. All he wants is a battery powered car so he can drive himself around the yard. He should be stoked when he gets his 90.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The speed racks on the TRV are very versatile as well. You can remove the rear seat and put all kinds of stuff up there, from garden sprayers, to dump beds. I like the little rear rack too. I mount my chainsaw there, but Cat made a rear box called a "Cruiser Box" that mounted behind rear seat. You will love the TRV. You are right about the ride in SXS's. The next day after our ride, my friends could barely get out of bed with back pain. I'm 67 and had been having a blast on the TRV, never felt a thing. Another friend with a RZR Turbo actually broke his girlfriend's back, jumping it. Congrats, and let the older boys drive it, once in a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats, and let the older boys drive it, once in a while.
Oh I will, mommy just can’t know. I had to plead my case for weeks just to get them 500 midsize atv’s. Have to teach them, what happens on the trail stays on the trail. I bought Max a 50cc dirt bike for his 5th birthday. My in laws have about a 1acre front yard. Very first ride he stood it on its ass and did a full throttle wheelie from one end to the other, then wiped out. She swore like a sailor that day, lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We picked it up today. They had to climb on it everytime we stopped. Tomorrow we’ll take it for a first drive. Shocks are turned all the way down so I’ll adjust those as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
We finally made it out for a test ride, here is my initial review.

Having ridden the 500 EFI Alterras already, I was impressed with the power of the 700. Took each family member on a 20 min ride on the paths around the fields at the in-laws for a total of about an hour and a half of ride time. Handling was good, more than enough power, rode the entire time in 4x4 as the fields were wet. With 400lbs of riders, it didn’t seem to notice the passenger.

I only locked the differential around a few tight bends just to feel the difference. Ride was very smooth. I took it out on the pavement just to see what it had. At 56mph I let off. My guess is it could have pulled 70 with ease. I’m not taking an atv that fast, suspension was not built for that and the wheel track isn’t wide enough. Small adjustments in steering have a dramatic effect on stability at that speed. If I had adjusted the suspension like I had planned, it may have stiffened the ride and handled it a little better. Nevertheless, that’s what street bikes are made for.

I rode on the back while the two older boys ran 3 laps each around the hay field. I have to say, that is about the most comfortable passenger seat if ever sat on. Very thick and plush. It felt very safe and stable with the floorboards and hand grips, even with my 10 year old driving.

Overall, very happy. Thanks for the advice for those who jumped in on the conversation. After the 20 min ride, wife has said she would not mind riding on the back of that at all.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
When I first got mine, I took my gps and wound it out on asphalt. Got it up to something like 72-73 mph. When my knees stopped knocking, I ordered a Speedwerx Hypershift kit. Now it is set for a 65 mph top speed but has even better low end power. Let the wife drive while you ride on back, she'll like it even more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to mention that the dealership that had this TRV apparently had it sitting outside most of the time. The backrest was starting to fade and the baked on finish on the rack was fading and starting to rust in a couple spots. Made the dealer pay to replace both of these as part of the deal. Those parts should be here next week. Fortunately, the body had an automotive paint job so it didn’t have any fading, at least not noticeable. The black plastic was still black and in good shape but the headlights had started clouding.

I bought a no drill headlight restore kit from Walmart made by Turtle Wax, $10. Didn’t even need most of the kit. Took an old T-shirt and the polishing compound, 2 min of buffing by hand on each light and they look new again. Below are the before and after.

Attachments

·
Administrator
37,083 Posts
Wow looks good!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
New update. I tightened up the suspension like I had planned. It raised the front 1” and the rear 2”. Feels a tad nose down when riding solo, this is corrected with a passenger. May need to drop the rear .5”-1”. Doesn’t sound like much but it makes a difference.

It definitely helped the handling. Front wheels don’t give as much cornering or riding down a sloped path. Oh, and she drifts pretty nicely with a little throttle feathering around corners now that some of the sag was taken out of the rear and some weight off of it. It also corrected the top in slope that the rear wheels had without a rider.

Current profile pic is attached if anyone wants to see what the clearance is with the shocks cranked all the way up. I couldn’t find any info on this when looking for it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts