Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BUCK WILD @ Oct 3 2008, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hope thing like that are not here in the desert in souther cail how do i find out thanks[/b]
I know tht they are in use in AZ and NM, against the Mexican Grey Wolf, so would imagine they are also in southern CA. The federal agencies that use them, refuse to give any information on locations, so no one will remove them. They are known to be in use from WI west to the Pacific.

·
Registered
106 Posts
thank me and friends will on the look out we ride on ca and az side we live on the border so thank

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Holy thread revival

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I showed Dad this thread and he said he used to see them all the time in South Central KS back in the late '60's and early '70's.
JD

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
That is the crazest thing i think i have seen, putting somthing like that out without telling people what they are is just as dumb. but a child would never know just crazy.. might as well plant land mines everywhere..

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here is a copy of a letter I received today, 12/08/2008 from a lawyer in NM, re-enforcing the fact that these lethal projectiles are still in use. Notice he also spoke to the fact that you can not get any information out of the Government about their use or location.

Bob,

Thanks for contacting us. M-44 sodium cyanide guns are in widespread use throughout the public lands and have in recent years killed endangered wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains and, if memory serves me right, in North Dakota as well. The present restrictions on use are inadequate, but finding out and proving which species are being killed is very difficult; it’s likely beyond the few wolves USDA Wildlife Services reports (and that the agency has a permit to “incidentally” kill due to a loophole in the Endangered Species Act) that other endangered species are also killed.

We are working with other organizations to circulate a letter requesting the incoming, as-yet un-named, secretary of Agriculture to end all lethal activities by USDA Wildlife Services. We are also contemplating a sustained campaign targeting the agency.

For a sense of how entrenched USDA Wildlife Services is, and how hard uprooting it will be, I immodestly recommend my book, Predatory Bureaucracy: The Extermination of Wolves and the Transformation of the West (University Press of Colorado, 2005).

Michael

·
Registered
186 Posts
Who ever was useing these devises was breaking the law as there use is very restricked, as you are reqiured to take classes and be certified and licensed to use them. And you are reqiured to post the area that they are being used. This is no different than a poacher that wants to spotlight a deer or a trapper that puts a illegal set out or, a person on a atv going somwhere he is not suppose to. It gives all users a black eye! I am a trapper and am proud of it. I see these things happen all the time. Some one does somthing wrong and the wrong people get wind and they want to ban it or add more restrictions. The m44;s they are a very effective tool and have their uses, indisrimenant, yes, scary yes, will I use them, no. Do we need to ban them? No . but I do think we need tougher penaltys for those who break the laws, right now the criminals have more rights than the victims We as trappers are under attack every day by uninformed people and home grown terrorist. Just look at the problems they have in Ca. and Colo. since they banned trapping, coyotes attacking and dragging away todlers from their backyards, pet dissapearing, lions attacking and eating people, dragging labs from inside of peoples bedrooms while they sleep. Look at some states where they are banning smoking in bars and now in public, why dont bars ban non- smokers, I bet that would raise some discrimination suites! I am Pro- life but I will always vote Pro- choice. Atv riders know first hand that places to ride are getting harder to come by and are getting shut down by the day. PETA as most of you know is one of the largest anti animal use orgs there is, do a search about the shelter they had a so called no kill shelter, last year they killed 97% of the almost 2000 animals they (rescued) the year before they got caught going to shelters and picking up animals to adopt out and killing them and dumping them in a dumpster all this ws reported on the AP news. So before you try to ban somthing you might want to think what right do you want to lose!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You know this pisses me off. They need to leave mother nature alone she has her own way of balancing every thing out. If you are a farmer or rancher protecting your livestock or property that is one thing but this is just wrong and i hope no one else gets hurt.

Happy Trails....

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
well, i certainly hope no one gets hurt by accident. BUT the type of people who rage against these devices, chemicals, methods and public policies will come after you and me if they get thier way. they don't like OHV's and we're only a step or two removed from being a bigger target for them.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, to dispel everything I was told about how these are placed and well marked, it is all BS. We were riding this week in the Koffa wildlife refuge, near Quartzsite AZ and guess what, I found one of these deadly bombs planted within 5' of a well used off road trail. It was very near Jasper Spring where the wildlife frequented and within 100' of an area where off-roaders parked and kids played. There were absolutely NO warnings, as I have been told are placed all around the areas that these deadly bombs are located. This property is controlled by the BLM and I just hope a small child does not get killed by their attempt to destroy the last remnants of the Mexican Gray wolf population in the southwest. :trail:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
What the heck does one of these things look like? Is it that bobcat in the pic? I'd like to know just in case.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jrinhof79 @ Mar 5 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What the heck does one of these things look like? Is it that bobcat in the pic? I'd like to know just in case.

Thanks, Jeff[/b]
Here is a link to a site that give a good picture and additional information.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts