Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess i should start from the beginning... Last spring I lost control my 97' zrt 600 on a steep side hill (corn snow) and it slid head on into a tree. It destroyed pipe on the pto side (along with the hood) There was no way anyone could tow it out up this steep hill. (I was deep in the backcountry) So, I took the pipe off (it was completely closed off) and ran it for about 10 minutes. After sitting all summer, This year I got it running but it didn't have any power. I have cleaned the fuel tank and all the carbs and replaced the plugs. I now know that that cylinder isn't firing because the spark plug looks brand new. I see that it gets spark because an inline spark tester lights up and when I take it out and lay it on the engine, I see spark when it runs. I have switched carbs and cleaned them 3 times. The bowl fills right away and the plunger is fully opening, so it isn't fuel delivery. The machine feels like it is running on 2 cylinders too as it will only get up to 7000 rpm. Also, after 20 minutes of riding it around the yard, the pipe and cylinder itself is noticeably cooler. You can even put your hand on the pipe.
But here is the weird part: When i do a compression test, I still get 100 lbs and it takes hours for it to leak down. When I stick a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and pull the motor over, the piston goes up and down just fine. I can't feel any hole in the top of the piston either. So, what on earth could be wrong? Somebody please help. This mystery is killing me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts