Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after hearing many tell me Dayco is a bad idea I wanted to hear it from others if they had any horror stories of there Dayco belts. Also if you can remember please post what model of Dayco belt you had.

Or if you had nothing but good luck I want to hear how many miles you have on your Dayco belts.

I have a new Dayco XTX belt sitting on the bench because I have herd some bad things.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
The worst?....humm well it could explode the belt and destroy well over a grand in clutches....it could jam the primary and cause engine case or internal damage....could break the clutch cover....could lock the wheels up doing 80mph and cause serious injury to him and or his kids or even death.

But yah what's the worst could happen....I'm sure you take bigger risks, well your at it throw in a AllBalls ball joint so serious injury is pretty well a garantee.

It is his choice but anyone who is willing to risk that kind of damage or possible death or major Injury for a 10 dollar difference needs a brain transplant.

Crap if none of that was even possible and it just explodes and you get lucky....your by yourself you get to walk and leave your 10k plus machine sitting in a bush somewhere.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
No one has a sense of humor anymore....there was already a two or three page post by the op that a lot of people chimed in on regarding the 'dayco belt debate of 2013'..... getting kinda beat to death...

On another note.....has anyone died due to a blown atv belt? Just a question....

On a last note, I was gonna post my 2006 arctic cat burnt orange rebuild...but now I'm gonna take my ball and go home

Have a sense of humor guys....Ruffy knew I was just messin....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am all humor lol. If you dont believe that check the photo section. I think I posted professional rider pic :)

Anyhow I am only posting this in here to see if anyone else has had some stories about it. I have already made the first step on returning my belt (if they take it back) because of the stories. But it seemed people are bashing the belt and I wasnt sure if it was the $60 belt or the XTX $100 belt like I got. From what Ostacruiser said (a man I full trust) there junk to. I just like reading stories and seeing if anyone else has something else to add.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The worst?....humm well it could explode the belt and destroy well over a grand in clutches....it could jam the primary and cause engine case or internal damage....could break the clutch cover....could lock the wheels up doing 80mph and cause serious injury to him and or his kids or even death.

But yah what's the worst could happen....I'm sure you take bigger risks, well your at it throw in a AllBalls ball joint so serious injury is pretty well a garantee.

It is his choice but anyone who is willing to risk that kind of damage or possible death or major Injury for a 10 dollar difference needs a brain transplant.

Crap if none of that was even possible and it just explodes and you get lucky....your by yourself you get to walk and leave your 10k plus machine sitting in a bush somewhere.
I couldn't agree more. Now get back to work on your burnt orange peel lol. Cant wait for more progress. I am learning as you build!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't have a "horror" story, but I did try a Dayco before I knew better. I had my primary done by Papa Slap. I figured since I had it apart I would put in a new belt. I put a Dayco in. It did not work out well. It slipped and would not upshift well at all. Very doggy off the line too. After talking to Seth, thinking it was a clutch issue, I put a stock belt on it. Problem solved. The stock belt is far more flexable than the Dayco. Not sure if that is why, but it was a night and day difference.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
No one has a sense of humor anymore....there was already a two or three page post by the op that a lot of people chimed in on regarding the 'dayco belt debate of 2013'..... getting kinda beat to death...

On another note.....has anyone died due to a blown atv belt? Just a question....

On a last note, I was gonna post my 2006 arctic cat burnt orange rebuild...but now I'm gonna take my ball and go home

Have a sense of humor guys....Ruffy knew I was just messin....
im not sure if anyone has died from a blown atv belt they usually cant post after such an event. It is entirely possible and specially on a cat due to the metal belt case, if that belt snaps and wedges into the metal case and locks the secondary when your doing 70-80mph your going to wish you choose oem. Say you decided to go for a rip without a helmet just down the street....rear wheels lock up at 70 mph you slide sideways and roll and the atv racks smash your head into the pavement.

You may think im being rude or blowing it out of proportion but its quite possible and is a needless risk.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The XTX belt is a different type than the replacement Dayco series, so unless you've ran an XTX you may not have all the information required to make the best choice considering Dayco.

The Dayco XTX and the Highlifter 3GX are the same belts. That being said, they are also the longest lasting belt I've ever ran on my V2. They are more stiff and are a bit thinner. This means with the Kawi belt set up you'll probably want to re shim.

I would usually get about 3-4 months out of the OEM belts. I usually get 7-8 out of my 3GX/XTX belts. So in my opinion I think the XTX/3GX belts are a "better" belt based on durability. On top of that they have a 1 year replacement warranty... that makes it worth it even if they last the same amount of time to me.

But, I have a different clutch set up than the wet clutch Arctic Cats. I can't speak to the XTX's durability with these types of machines specifically.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
that belt doesnt seem to show any different results in a wet clutch system

Bad News: High Lifter 3GX belt

High Lifter 3GX Belt - Page 2 - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

altho you are correct ive never used that belt, and i can surely tell you i never will. For 10 dollars more i will buy oem that is tried true and tested and wont leave me stranded or injured.
You are right for your clutch system is much different and belts get ate no matter how you go about it, but a stiffer belt on our systems is no better, thinner actually will cause issues as well it will act worn out.

In the end they have a horrible reputation as a belt maker in the atv market and dont seem to be making it any better, for the 10 dollars its not even close to a smart choice for wet clutch powered atvs

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice reads for sure. From what I gather from most of the stories is the belts are getting to hot and cant take it. I always wondered because I see 200HP snowmobiles loving these belts but its cold when they ride giving the belt alot more cooling.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I agree Dayco has a bad reputation. And I agree there must be some reason or cause for this.

But for anyone with a V2 I will suggest a 3GX all day everyday. Anything else... I am indifferent.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree Dayco has a bad reputation. And I agree there must be some reason or cause for this.

But for anyone with a V2 I will suggest a 3GX all day everyday. Anything else... I am indifferent.
Well can you keep a secret? (in a quiet voice) I was outback and me new XTX belt jumped out of the box and fell onto my sheaths! I then watched it grab the nuts and tighten them with my air gun. Very very crazy day it was. I dont know how but the belt also put the belt cover on and managed to get all the screw in as well. So shhhhhh about this and dont tell anyone Clap

lol I fully expect it to die because they sat on the phone with me saying how good it was and returning it would be a mistake because the belt was soooo good they said. I told them ok I will give it a try. I was nice about it then I said because you back this belt so well I am going to make a video of me putting it on and going riding. if they belt breaks you will be sending me my money back. I also said that I would make a nice video of it if it doesnt make it more then 500 miles.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do you have a V2?

If not, then my advice was not meant for you. Not trying to cause issues with bikes I have no experience with.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Do you have a V2?

If not, then my advice was not meant for you. Not trying to cause issues with bikes I have no experience with.
Now you did it! :Bangin:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Were not really here to debate if it if not the belt is junk. I posted this to find horror stories or good stories with lots of miles on one.

·
Administrator
40,726 Posts
It's the brand !!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
funny how many members on here?....yet not one long mileage good post huh wonder why lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts