Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scoop. I have 2 Twin Spar sleds which I like very much. Sled #1 is a '07 Jag Z1 w/ 98 studs and # 2 is a '08 F6 LXR w/102 studs. The Jag has the 121" track and the F6 has 128". Had the shop install 6" straight carbides on both sleds in Dec of '11. It really helped the Jag last year in corners (rode 300miles) and this year the carbides have seem to lost some of their "edge" as they don't seem to bite as well on the blacktop like they did when new.

So far on the F6, they work great.

My problem: Both sleds want to dart pretty good on all types of snow. Not into top speed performance. I cannot recall w/ 100% certainty how much they darted (if at all) w/ Cats 4" off set duals. I do know the 4" off sets stunk on blacktop and really didn't like them in corners.

Reading some of the info from carbide mfr's, most say that dual runners will help w/ darting on hardpack. Don't say a thing on semi hardpack or loose snow.

So what would work best? I like having the 6"ers under the skis, but hate the darting. Will 6" duals be best? Off sets w/ 6" (if any such thing exists)? Have factory skis on both.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
My old 07 F6 had its darting issues as well as pushing in the corners.

I triple checked my ski alignment. I installed longer single carbide Qualipiece Cobraheads. I shimmed under the rear of the ski rubber because the stock carbides were worn in the front. I believe the shimming was the most effective factor in reducing darting to half.

Had I kept the sled I would have installed SLT skis.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed 6" duallies on left side of both sleds and rode the Jag 160+ miles yesterday in sugar,mealy snow and she didn't dart one bit and turned great.

Hoever, when I did replace them, I noticed that the front part of old carbides were worn down more than the rest. Read something about "shimming" under the rubber spacer under spindle. If so, what do you use? How thick of spacer? Ski have to be removed to install?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I installed 6" duallies on left side of both sleds and rode the Jag 160+ miles yesterday in sugar,mealy snow and she didn't dart one bit and turned great.

Hoever, when I did replace them, I noticed that the front part of old carbides were worn down more than the rest. Read something about "shimming" under the rubber spacer under spindle. If so, what do you use? How thick of spacer? Ski have to be removed to install?
Ski has to be removed. I made my shims wedge shaped out of aluminum cuz I had some chunks laying around. I screwed/ silicone it into the rear of the rubber. Re-install is a tad more work but now the front of the ski points slightly upward when the sled is elevated off the ground. Instead of hanging level or slightly downward. Most guys make them out of nylon from a hyfax or just use toilet shims.

IMG_2474.jpg Photo by hydroman99 | Photobucket

1 - 6 of 6 Posts