Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the cylinder base gasket on a '98 ZL 500.

The problem is the original base gasket is made up of 2 gaskets RIVETED together.

The motor is ALL original, never been rebuilt.

I asked my local dealer and he only has the gasket as 1 gasket and not 2 riveted together.

The original gasket is twice as thick as the new gasket (3005-654)

I have attached pictures of what the old gasket looks like.

And what the NEW gasket looks like.

I am not sure what should be used.

1 gasket or 2 gaskets stacked on top of each other like the original one was ?

The arctic cat parts diagram only shows 1 gasket, but the original had 2 that are riveted together.

Does anyone know what should be right to use?

1 gasket or 2 gaskets stacked like the original

The original part # for the gasket is 3005-245

The new replacement part # for that gasket is 3005-654

See attachments for the original 2 gasket riveted type

See attachments for the NEW 1 gasket type --- half the thickness of the old gasket, but made from the same material.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
the rivetes gasket was the old style gasket. use the one u have i had the same thing with my 500 last year. i work for a cat dealer so ive seen this many times but ur good to go

·
Registered
467 Posts
You can use the new gasket. The thicker gasket will change your port timing. The thinner gasket will give you tighter tolerances on your heads. You should have more compression with the thinner gaskets. It will run fine I am interested in how it will affect the performance. Let us know if there is a difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would I have to run a high octane fuel for the gas with the single gasket ?

Right now I run 87-93 with the 2 gasket style, and never had any problems.

Just wondering what would be a more reliable setup, a 1 or 2 gasket setup.

Any why cat changed the 2 style and went to the 1 gasket style.

·
Registered
467 Posts
No you don't have to run higher octane fuel. You are only talking 5 thousants. There is alot more tolerance between your pistons and your heads than that. If you are worried about it, buy two sets of gaskets and put them on. You will need a gasket sealer between the gaskets. I don't know why cat changed the type of gasket. Cheaper? Had problems with the original? You will have to ask a cat tec. for that answer. I have a zr 440 my tolerance can be from.035 to .065 squish. Your new gaskets are probably .005 and the old ones are probably .010. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are do a squish on your pistons. You take two pieces of soft solder and bend them each in a L shape so they touch the cylinder wall on each side above the wrist pin . Hang on to them and have someone pull it over really fast. Pull them out and check your squish. Compare it to factory specs. Then you will know for sure.
Good Luck

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (topzr @ Jan 20 2007, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No you don't have to run higher octane fuel. You are only talking 5 thousants. There is alot more tolerance between your pistons and your heads than that. If you are worried about it, buy two sets of gaskets and put them on. You will need a gasket sealer between the gaskets. I don't know why cat changed the type of gasket. Cheaper? Had problems with the original? You will have to ask a cat tec. for that answer. I have a zr 440 my tolerance can be from.035 to .065 squish. Your new gaskets are probably .005 and the old ones are probably .010. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are do a squish on your pistons. You take two pieces of soft solder and bend them each in a L shape so they touch the cylinder wall on each side above the wrist pin . Hang on to them and have someone pull it over really fast. Pull them out and check your squish. Compare it to factory specs. Then you will know for sure.
Good Luck[/b]
Thanks for the help , if I do use 2 new gaskets, do I definatly use gasket sealer ?

The other 2 didn't have any gasket sealer between them, and I've been reading that if you use sealer it will squeeze out and may cause problems.

These gaskets are aluminum gaskets with rubber coating on them, not paper ones.

Also what thickness solder should be used ? Standard 60/40 or 95/5 available on a roll for plumbing ?

Or do you use electrical solder for electronics (rosin type) ?

Also what is the torque on the base nuts and cylinder heads, I'm reading differant torque settings on the forums.

·
Registered
467 Posts
On our race sled we use a very fine coat and I mean fine coat of gasket sealer between the gaskets. My dealer also uses a sealer between gaskets. Ask your mechanis what he uses. I use plumbing solder on a roll. I use the thinner solder. I don't have the torque specs for your base nuts. I would have to go off my other service manuels and I don't have one for your sled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts