Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I need to replace both outers on my front end. The inners look fine. I started on the left side this afternoon and got all the way to the big nut, which refused to budge. I sprayed it real good with some penetrating spray and will let it sit overnight. Then I guess I'll try an impact wrench?
Since I'm only doing the outers, I can still do this without removing the whole axle?
I'd love to call one of you guys that has some experience with all this if that would be ok to someone?

·
Registered
141 Posts
to do the outers you have to pull the inners part too. quickest way is to find a boot stretcher and stretch boots then you don't have to take everything apart

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, I got the outer boot off earlier and could not see how the bearing comes off of the axle?
I hate to try and stretch at boot that much, in order to get it over the bearing.
So there's no way to get the outer bearing off of the axle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks much !!! One question before diving into this> how do I get the spring pressure off the shock when removing the upper bolt and when replacing it or is it not an issue? Also, removing the upper inboard bolts eliminates the need to remove the brake caliper and steering rod if I am correct correct????

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Jack it up and correct. You can undo the outers as well

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went ahead and ordered in the full set of boots for the front and they should be here tomorrow. Then the fun begins!

·
Registered
7 Posts
finished changing out front boots. went pretty well. Hard to get those bands tight with hands so greasy but managed to get them secure. actually hardest part was getting those little snap rings off and on. bought the pliers but they were almost useless.

Thanks for all the great help. Now I just gotta get the carb working right.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, we yanked, jerked, and banged on both front axles in our attempts to free them from the differential. FINALLY, the right side popped free. The left, well, it's still firmly locked in place. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Use a punch and drive it out from the other side ,

·
Registered
81 Posts
I couldn't punch it out. There's a shiney silver rod blocking the path. Barely enough room around it for a small screwdriver.
I think I found the solution and you guys may say I messed up, but I just removed the inner boot from the left side, then removed the clip that holds the axle into the spindle, and just pulled the axle out, easy as you please. I know it may be a bit tricker to pack the grease and redo the band with the spindle still in the differential, but I'm going to give it a try.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got it finished. Never could get that spindle out of the diff on the left side, so I removed the cir clip and pulled just the axle. It was a bit of trick, but not too bad, getting the band on, but we got it done.
Thanks everyone for the advice, input, and pictures. Saved me a lot of money!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys,

I'm having trouble with my 2011 Mud Pro 700. I got the CV axle out and on the bench no problem, pulled inner boot back, removed the clips holding it on fairly easily without cutting.
I'm stuck at getting the actual cv joint out of the cup. On this 2011 their doesn't seem to be a retaining clip on the inside of the cup. The balls and the spindle are right at the mouth and I dont even see how their could be a place for a clip.
What's the trick to these? I've been searchign and somebody was saying you just pull it out of the cup but mine doesn't seem like that is the way to go. I couldn't pull it apart easily. Do I pound it out?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Changing the rear outer CV-joint ???

I take the rear axle out,
squeeze it in a vice to hold it still.
Cut both boots off, then give the outer CV joint a good smack with a brass hammer while holding onto the end, it should pop off.
Then slide the inner boot up the shaft, slide the outer boot on,
put the outer CV back on and give the end a tap with the bass hammer,
it should snap back on.
I have to change the whole rear outer CV-joint on my ( not just the boot )
Arctic Cat 650 V-2 ( 2004 )
Is the above description the right way to get the axle apart ?

I need help ASAP ! :huh:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Getting the rear axle out of the diff ????

The main reason for posting this,
is due to all the questions pertaining to it.

5) Grab the axle with your hand and push inward toward the diff.
The inside cage of the joint will slide inward.

6) Yank on the axle arm
(this may take several tries, push the axle inward toward the diff again and repeat)
The axle will pop out of the diff.
:wacko: Please can somebody explain in detail how to get the axle out of the differential ?
I do not understand how to do to get the axle out!

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Grab the shaft put both feet on the diff. Push in and pull sharply out as hard as you can it may take 6 or 7 good tries. Push in all the way and pull like a madman. After every second pull turn the axle a 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CV joint inner wire retainer ring

can anybody tell me where i can get the inner wire retainer ring that secures the cv joint into the differential? Having major problems tracking it down. No arctic cat part#.

Cant tell if i nbeed to purchase the entire joint kit, axle etc

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
You can buy them from the dealer. I picked up a couple last month. Can't help with part number as I threw out the bags

Reactions: djbinding

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Found a part # for you

Reactions: djbinding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Retainer Clip

Dude!!!!!! You're the Man!!!! This part doesn't show up on any parts diagram. The dealer even put me on phone with Arctic Cat and they couldn't help.

Thanks big time. Purchased the Retainer Ring on Ebay and should be riding again by next weekendCat happy

·
Administrator
40,355 Posts
Glad I could help. Too bad cat couldn't !!!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts