Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is posted somewhere, and I'm probably waisting my time, but here it goes anyways. The main reason for posting this, is due to all the questions pertaining to it. Its very simple with the right tools, and a little instruction. Upon checking out my sons 300 and doing some regular maintenance, I noticed he busted a boot last weekend while riding. I did this last night and from start to finish, even with taken pics, it took me right at 30 mins. I've done several, so the time it takes you may or may not take longer.

Tools I use:
Jack
Socket set
Ratchet, banding tool (You can get this from any CV store for about 25 bucks)
2 long bands (Get these at any CV store about .75 each
2 short bands (Same as above)
2 cv boots (Same as above, usually about 4 bucks)
Dremel with cut off wheel,band cutter, or side cutters. Either will do.
Hammer
Grease
Snap ring pliers

Assuming your bike is jacked up, and wheel remeoved, this is what I do.
1)Remove cotter pin, and large axle keep nut or hub nut. Its sometimes called the castle or crown nut also.
(Be sure your diff oil is drained)

2) Remove upper upper shock mount bolt

3) Remove upper A arm bolts (See pic bellow)

4) Remove lower A arm bolts ( all the above may vary, but still the same concept. You may have to remove boot guards or other bolts that are in the way)

5) Grab the axle with your strong hand..LOL and push inward toward the diff. The inside cage of the joint will slide inward. This will allow you some room for levereage

6) Yank on the axle arm (this may take several tries, push the axle inward toward the diff again and repeat) The axle will pop out of the diff.

7) With the axle out of the diff, use a rubber mallet,wood block, or thread the castle nut back on to the end of the axle and tap it until the axle is free of the hub. DONT LOOSE THE RUBBER BUSHING ON THE HUB

8)Now with the axle in your hand, cut all the bands off. You can purchase a band cutter at any auto parts store,use a good pair of side cutter, or use a dremel with a cut off wheel, which is what I use.

ATTENTION***** When cutting the band off of the torn boot, you can go crazy and cut it howeer you like! BUT!!! on the boot that is still good, just cut the band where, the tab is, and only cut the tab. Dont go all the way through the entire band, as it will cut into the boot when using a dremel. If you're using a band cutter,or side cutters, just cut the whole band. You may have to use a flat head screw driver to pry up the band first. be careful not to puncture the good boot.

9) With bands cut, slide the inboard boot (boot closest to diff) down the axle toward the outboard boot. ( You may have to use a small flat head screw driver to free it from its position)

10) There is a large C clip inside the inboard joint,just beneath the lips of the joint. This is what keeps the joint from sliding off. You will see notches cut out of the lip. This is to gain acces to the C clip. Use a very small flat head screw driver, and pick out one of those grooves, to try and pry the screw driver in between the lip of the joint and the C clip. I always do this until I find the end of the C clip. The end is much easier to pry, as it has the least amount of tension on it. The clip comes out pretty easy, just dont loose it. Also you will need to take a pretty sharp angle on the clip to get it out. Be sure and push the axle in toward the cup. (The race will slide in giving you room to work, just like when pulling the axle from the actual diff in step 5)

11) With Clip removed the joint will now slide off.

12) Now you see the cage, that has the balls on it. Clean as much of the grease as possible, away from the top part of the cage.

13) You will see a snap ring. This part can be a little tricky but not bad. It also gets a little messy here for me.

What I do is take my snap ring pliers,and spread the snap ring. With my other hand, I grap the cage, and lift up, using the weight of the axle to make it slide out of the cage. The snap ring pliers can be a PITA, and will keep coming out, which is why I do it this way. Works like a charm.

14) Remove the cage with race

15) Remove the inboard boot

16) Remove the Outboard boot

17) Clean neccisary parts

18) Install new outboard boot

19) Install new inboard boot.

20) Regrease both joints and put a decent amount inside the boots.

21) Position the new boots in the right place, and clean outter part if neccesary.

22) Place your bands on new boots, and tighten the up.

23) Now reverse your steps to install the axle and suspension parts. Dont forget to fill your diff up.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thats a really good step by step write up!
I think it deserves to be pinnd!

Reactions: mchartr1

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Pinn It......

Now I know where to send mine for replacement... :rofl: :rofl:

Wish I had this 6 months ago....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas!

I appreciate it, but I'm sure this is written up somewhere. I just wanted to do since I had to replace the stuff anyways, and figured this would be kept pretty fresh for a while.

Again thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bayoucats @ Nov 1 2008, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pinn It......

Now I know where to send mine for replacement... :rofl: :rofl:[/b]

:eek: :eek:

LOL. Its really simple to do. Dont waste your money on these kinds of repairs, unless you just dont want feel like fooling with it.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Great write up and pics! Also a reminder, on most Cats with FIS, all four axles are the same. I bought a spare axle in case I tear a boot when I'm at the camp. Only takes a few minutes to pull the axle with the bad boot, install the replacement and continue riding. When I get back home, I rebuild the bad axle (boot) in my shop in a more friendly environment.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Budman1950 @ Nov 2 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great write up and pics! Also a reminder, on most Cats with FIS, all four axles are the same. I bought a spare axle in case I tear a boot when I'm at the camp. Only takes a few minutes to pull the axle with the bad boot, install the replacement and continue riding. When I get back home, I rebuild the bad axle (boot) in my shop in a more friendly environment.[/b]
Thanks!

Keep in mind though the front left is different on 04 650 -05, 400+ bikes. But a rear one will fit, you just wont have a locker, but will get you back home!

I know what you mean too. I snapped a axle yesterday, went home, rebuilt it, and back out on the trail I went.

I actualy had to change out the outboard joint, replace the shaft, and put both joints and boots back on..LOL it was a PITA to get the outboard joint off! Took about 2 hours start to finish. You need a strong vice, and a BMFH!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatKraz @ Nov 2 2008, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Budman1950 @ Nov 2 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great write up and pics! Also a reminder, on most Cats with FIS, all four axles are the same. I bought a spare axle in case I tear a boot when I'm at the camp. Only takes a few minutes to pull the axle with the bad boot, install the replacement and continue riding. When I get back home, I rebuild the bad axle (boot) in my shop in a more friendly environment.[/b]
Thanks!

Keep in mind though the front left is different on 04 650 -05, 400+ bikes. But a rear one will fit, you just wont have a locker, but will get you back home!

I know what you mean too. I snapped a axle yesterday, went home, rebuilt it, and back out on the trail I went.

I actualy had to change out the outboard joint, replace the shaft, and put both joints and boots back on..LOL it was a PITA to get the outboard joint off! Took about 2 hours start to finish. You need a strong vice, and a BMFH!!
[/b][/quote]

So you already broke an axle? I thought you were gonna take it easy on those things!!! :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (truponycar @ Nov 4 2008, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatKraz @ Nov 2 2008, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Budman1950 @ Nov 2 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks!

[/b][/quote]

So you already broke an axle? I thought you were gonna take it easy on those things!!! :D
[/b][/quote]

LOL, well, you cant help the freak things! It was totaly out of the ordinary..

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I want to thank you for posting a good step by step guide with pictures. :thumbsup: :chug:

I never done one of these so naturally took me longer, but the job is complete.

Thank you!

Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mikeexplorer @ Mar 14 2010, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I want to thank you for posting a good step by step guide with pictures. :thumbsup: :chug:

Thank you!

Mike[/b]
your welcome bro! Anything you feel like adding that helped you more than what I explained, feel free to add it!

·
Registered
321 Posts
^^^ Whoa, you're back

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Since then I had to do another boot, both were inboard boots (differential side) The only thing I did different was not mess with the outboard boots. I left the wheel side alone and just lopped off the bad boot. Since I had to take it apart anyway to clean the old grease out, I took it apart and slipped the new boot on before assembly. Once it was all back together then I used the bands.

In both cases I just purchased the Arctic Cat kits. had everything in it and now have an extra pair of bands if needed. The ones included didn't need a special tool.

Mike

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatKraz @ Apr 1 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mikeexplorer @ Mar 14 2010, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you!

Mike[/b]
your welcome bro! Anything you feel like adding that helped you more than what I explained, feel free to add it!
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this topic is kinda old but I just found this site. My question is after reading this topic and doing repairs on many of the other brands, I now have a '04 400 with a broken left rear axle to repair. The axle broke clean at the inner cv joint. I disassembled the inner joint and installed a slide hammer with large bolt/nut to hold it in the inner joint cage. I have repeatedly tried to get the inner joint cup to come out of the rear diff with no success. I have pulled hard enough that I am concerned about breaking the lip that holds the circlip for inner bearing/joint. Is there something that I am forgetting to do or missing as far as removing left inner joint from the rear diff. HELP please I am at my witts end trying to finish this repair. Thanks so much

·
Registered
321 Posts
Take the right rear out and use a BMFH and a screw driver or punch to knock it out from the back side.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have read a lot about some say the car cv boot does and does not fit.
I bought a car cv boot for my 2008 700H1 and it seems to fit great. I installed it last night.
The part number is 103-2491 from Advance Auto, $16.89.

·
Registered
98 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broncobill @ Aug 7 2010, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I bought a car cv boot for my 2008 700H1 and it seems to fit great. I installed it last night.
The part number is 103-2491 from Advance Auto, $16.89.[/b]
nice find....that's a pretty big savings....how's it holding up ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MmmMud @ Sep 28 2010, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (broncobill @ Aug 7 2010, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The part number is 103-2491 from Advance Auto, $16.89.[/b]
nice find....that's a pretty big savings....how's it holding up ?
[/b][/quote]

So far so good. Seems a little heavier duty than the stock boot too.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts