Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have never used the original bands that come with cv boot kits. they are junk! you nearly destroy them trying to take it off, and without the special tool you cant get them tight enough.

i dont understand why no one uses hose clamps. they're reusable and you can really crank down to tighten them up. they're very cheap and you only need a screwdriver to use them, not a special/custom made tool.

[attachment=139771:hose_clamp.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would think the weight of that screw would throw it out of balance. I thought about using them too but decided against it.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I tried hose clamps too, before I put everything back together I articulated the CV joint and it looked like the screw would rub against the boot and tear a hole. So I ordered clamps from Country Cat and used a homemade tool similar to the one in this thread.

The part #'s are 1441-825 ($2.23) and 1411-824 (3.49).

You cant order these on the internet site so you have to call them and explain why you are calling and not ordering on their site. They may have to order them but the service is fast.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jokertgg @ Nov 21 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have never used the original bands that come with cv boot kits. they are junk! you nearly destroy them trying to take it off, and without the special tool you cant get them tight enough.

i dont understand why no one uses hose clamps. they're reusable and you can really crank down to tighten them up. they're very cheap and you only need a screwdriver to use them, not a special/custom made tool.

[attachment=139771:hose_clamp.jpg][/b]
hose clamps are too big. as the axle rotates, the clamp comes in contact with the hub. it would have to be a really small clamp to clear the hub.
anybody got a good line on a banding tool to ratchet the band tight?

·
Registered
721 Posts
i came across this site today and thought it would fit in this pinned topic. CV restoration sells boots for about the same price along with your choice of pinch stile clamps or band stile. they also sell the knuckles seperatly and have some how to guides on cv repair. Hope this helps :beer_cheers:
http://www.thecvman.com/

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Canadian napa part number is CVB309

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a ton of info on this topic, but I can't seem to find what correct year and make the geo( metro) is...i don't have o'reilly s in new England and the only way to check for this part is by year make and model... Anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I went to Bumper to Bumper, the boot is thicker then stock, Duraflex brand, the part number is DX309, looks like a repackaged boot from another company to be honest.

For anyone wondering, its a 1993 Geo Metro 1.0L 993cc 61 cubic inch L3 TBI, Outter CV boot kit.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Data I've saved

CVT boot Clamps
AC part numbers 1441-825 ($2.23) and 1411-824 (3.49).

CV Joint Boots For 1993 Geo Metro 1.0L 61CI L3 FI

O'Reilly Auto Parts Number 5860 CV Boot Kit , [ Precision 5860 ]
Beck/Arnley O.E. Style CV Boot Kit Part No. 103-2491

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used a Napa Part No. CVB 6862181.

$13.99 w/clamps,grease, snap rings (kit)

$20.00 For the crimping tool.... Yes... the clamps that come with the kit work fine on my 2008 650 H1

Have no idea what the part no. fits as far as the car it was meant for... This number is in a earlier thread I couldnt find.

B52

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
This is the Kit I used. It came with the band clamping tool inside the kit.
2 clamps/ grease / tool for roughly $25

EPI: CV Boots & Kits/ Standard

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
These should work also. You can get them in various lengths, widths or quantities from many sources on the internet. Including Ebay. just search for Stainless Steel Tie wraps.

STAINLESS STEEL TIE WRAPS

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
That was the thread I was looking for and somehow skipped right over it.

I read the thread again and there seems to be diffrent boots and part numbers and some people had problems..

How are the EPI Boots? Would I want standard or Extreme Cold? And you guys are saying I dont need the tool?

Will I lose gear oil by doing this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2010 mud pro and was wondering if anyone had part numbers for advanced auto parts for the boots and clamps that would work for me thank you for any help.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I have a 2010 mud pro and was wondering if anyone had part numbers for advanced auto parts for the boots and clamps that would work for me thank you for any help.
Advanced Auto Parts
Part No. 103-2491 (Beck/Arnley CV Joint Boot Kit)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts