Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
and YES the warranty is VOID if you don’t use Ctec oil dude! I think you should actually read the manual provided,
Snowmobile Setup and pre-delivery inspection manual states on page 18 “Recommended Injection Oil” The recommended oil to use in the oil-injection system is A/C C-tec2 Synthetic 2-cycle Oil (p/n 6639-520-48 oz)
Oh so it's "Recommended" but it doesn't say "Required" thats the difference so you see where your first statement is not correct. So if you use another oil your warranty CANNOT be void because thats against the law unless the oil AC has is free of charge. See all that now? So thats the law but I don't know why youd use another oil, buy in the 2.5 gallon jug and not worry about it for a long time. Amazing things happen when you "read the manual"!

Reactions: William Stern Jr.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oh so it's "Recommended" but it doesn't say "Required" thats the difference so you see where your first statement is not correct. So if you use another oil your warranty CANNOT be void because thats against the law unless the oil AC has is free of charge. See all that now? So thats the law but I don't know why youd use another oil, buy in the 2.5 gallon jug and not worry about it for a long time. Amazing things happen when you "read the manual"!
Dealership informed me that I had to use C-tec2 oil for the first year, or warranty was void. From what I have read on site, a lot people were told the same info. Wondering if customers of ‘ 21 A/C sleds were told the same info, what’s up with that? I have no problem buying A/C oil, but why are the dealerships making the statement “void” of warranty if it’s not true? Puzzling to say the least. I will continue to purchase the A/C oil to support the A/C company, and my friendly A/C dealership; which treat me like a Sultan. By the way, they gave me a US gallon jug for FREE which lasted a full season.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Dealership informed me that I had to use C-tec2 oil for the first year, or warranty was void. From what I have read on site, a lot people were told the same info. Wondering if customers of ‘ 21 A/C sleds were told the same info, what’s up with that? I have no problem buying A/C oil, but why are the dealerships making the statement “void” of warranty if it’s not true? Puzzling to say the least. I will continue to purchase the A/C oil to support the A/C company, and my friendly A/C dealership; which treat me like a Sultan. By the way, they gave me a US gallon jug for FREE which lasted a full season.
Don't care if they treat you like a sultan or king, don't care if they gave you a gallon jug of oil or a 55 gallon drum When they SAID IT VOIDED THE WARRANTY thats a problem, at least per U.S. law thats not legal. And it doesn't matter what they told you , cause when you see them next ask where it says that IN WRITING. Because it would be the first time I'd see it that using other oils voided your warranty. And by the way I don't care how nice they treat you, if they are doing this they are crooks.

You know what victims always say about con-artists? "Oh but he was such a nice man"

·
Registered
921 Posts
Don't care if they treat you like a sultan or king, don't care if they gave you a gallon jug of oil or a 55 gallon drum When they SAID IT VOIDED THE WARRANTY thats a problem, at least per U.S. law thats not legal. And it doesn't matter what they told you , cause when you see them next ask where it says that IN WRITING. Because it would be the first time I'd see it that using other oils voided your warranty. And by the way I don't care how nice they treat you, if they are doing this they are crooks.

You know what victims always say about con-artists? "Oh but he was such a nice man"
If the slim and I mean slim chance that the motor goes down and they determine that the oil viscosity was not up to standards, then yes, they as in Cat can deny warranty. Not worth the risk personally but you go ahead and take that chance.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
If the slim and I mean slim chance that the motor goes down and they determine that the oil viscosity was not up to standards, then yes, they as in Cat can deny warranty. Not worth the risk personally but you go ahead and take that chance.
There in the bold that's the word that matters "then" after they determined, not before. I'm talking U.S. law here. They cannot demand it or void your warranty because of your use, and that's the statement he made initially. I'm not talking about whats good for the engine. and I'm not saying use another oil, just stating what U.S. law says. You all can use what you want.

·
Administrator
7,906 Posts
A dealer probably wont have the oil analyzed to see whats in the tank if you have a warranty issue. Cat can turn you down if you say its the wrong oil. Then ya hire an attorney and it gets expensive and time consuming etc.... Ya might win but how long do you wait? I run the C-tec in our 600, the motor hardly uses any. My 800 uses almost double. It doesnt mess up the power valves period. Just checked mine at the 2000 mile mark and they didnt need to be cleaned at all. I didnt read all 9 pages of this. The electric oil pump works best with the recommended oil. After its off warranty run drain oil if you think its best. While under warranty just use the C-tec oil and avoid a **** ton of headaches. The price difference is so subtle it really shouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
A dealer probably wont have the oil analyzed to see whats in the tank if you have a warranty issue. Cat can turn you down if you say its the wrong oil.
Oh I beg to differ, if it's an engine claim totaling in the thousands you bet they will send the motor back to TRF and they will want a oil sample and THEY will send it out for oil analysis. They won't say "you ran the wrong oil" , They will say "I'm sorry sir the oil sampled along with your Effed up engine does not meet the requirements of the engine and it is also tested that it is not our Arctic Cat C-tec2 recommended oil for this engine",

Then your on your own.
Now , Amsoil says they will cover any engine damage caused by the oil in this case theirs, so you have that in play. Or you can avoid all this and just either use Cats oil during the warranty and then after that do what you want. Or do what I did and buy a Suzuki and never worry about it.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Wow! Thread is over 3 years old and pretty well all was said in post #2.

Reactions: f5firecat

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Wow! Thread is over 3 years old and pretty well all was said in post #2.
Yes and just 8 days ago we had someone said he had his dealer tell him either he uses Cats oil or his warranty is void. Well if that was in this country that would be illegal. This is what we are discussing.

Or if someone says something that's not legal should we all just all be quite?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes and just 8 days ago we had someone said he had his dealer tell him either he uses Cats oil or his warranty is void. Well if that was in this country that would be illegal. This is what we are discussing.

Or if someone says something that's not legal should we all just all be quite?
Oil analyst very expensive! Other customers told the same info as myself by dealership, don’t use A/C oil; Void of warranty. Conspiracy amongst dealerships? Visited my local A/C dealership today, and yes they treat me like a Sultan, and show me respect! All I have to say is this is a free country(s), you have the right to choose what oils you like to run in your equipment, just please don’t try to make me drink it, just continue to run what you got dude; we all have different options and tastes. Enuf said!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
All I have to say is this is a free country(s), you have the right to choose what oils you like to run in your equipment, just please don’t try to make me drink it, just continue to run what you got dude; we all have different options and tastes. Enuf said!
Well no not "enuf said" , in the bold you have the right to what again? Not according to what your dealer is saying. Again I don't take any issue with the use of Cat oil I would use that myself. The point I'm making and the point you either don't understand or are ignoring and you posted, is that the dealer said you void the warranty when you just use any other oil. Do you agree that (per U.S. law) in an of itself is legal? Yes or no?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
just waiting for the <crickets>

·
Registered
138 Posts
just waiting for the <crickets>
Yes I like totally agree with you, It’s not legal; but what I would like to know is why ALL 4 manufacturers of snowmobiles are making the statement VERBALLY to the customers; void of warranty if you do not use their oils? Should there not be a inquest/ investigation done on this ongoing misinformation to the public? Thanks for the info you provided on the legal aspects, the law is the law and should be followed by all the manufacturer’s! All 4 manufacturers don’t put anything in writing about void of warranty, because you know, and I know the ramification would be severe for the snowmobile/ ATV industry. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, for I work 12hrs.a day, 3 days a week as a mechanical engineer at a local saw mill; don’t need to work 5 days as they pay me quite well $32.00 hr. I also do some drafting at home for a M-X bike manufacturer, R&D material; therefore I’m quite busy! Happy rid’n dude! 👍

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yes I like totally agree with you, It’s not legal; but what I would like to know is why ALL 4 manufacturers of snowmobiles are making the statement VERBALLY to the customers; void of warranty if you do not use their oils? Should there not be a inquest/ investigation done on this ongoing misinformation to the public? Thanks for the info you provided on the legal aspects, the law is the law and should be followed by all the manufacturer’s! All 4 manufacturers don’t put anything in writing about void of warranty, because you know, and I know the ramification would be severe for the snowmobile/ ATV industry. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, for I work 12hrs.a day, 3 days a week as a mechanical engineer at a local saw mill; don’t need to work 5 days as they pay me quite well $32.00 hr. I also do some drafting at home for a M-X bike manufacturer, R&D material; therefore I’m quite busy! Happy rid’n dude! 👍
It does not state will void, it states could void. Major difference!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Zr 6000 I value your opinion, I can’t find anywhere in my paperwork that came with my sled of void warranty. Any info appreciated! Where would I find this info?
Zr 6000 found some info, it’s written right on the oil injection reservoir! You are correct “Could void warranty” quite certain that A/C doesn’t want there customers to run a substandard old oil, with Castor bean in the blend , it may be good for some very old sleds which require it;but definitely wouldn’t put it in the space ship’s we ride today! Thanks again dude! 😜

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just want to throw in my 2 bits in here. The real problem I see with the 2 stroke engine oil market is that there is no real rating system to make an informed purchase. 4 stroke oils have multiple class certifications from SAE, API, and sometimes JASO, a 4 stroke engine manufacturer will define what oil is required, yes they will recommend their named oil, but they always tell you what viscosity(0w40, 5w30, 10w20 etc..) and what basic additive package it needs(SE,SF,SG, etc..). What sort of information do 2 stroke owners get? TW-c3? that been around for as long as I can remember, Jaso yada yada? Look at your owners manual, none of them list any real properties that the engine needs to thrive, and none of the oil manufactures provide any real oil properties other than they claim it's best for your engine, 2 stroke engine makers just recommend their named stuff or your new engine will explode by the time it gets driven off the trailer, and it gets fixed on your dime. The ONLY means of comparing 2 stroke oil we have is "my buddy ran brand x and his engine lasted forever" or "I used brand x and had nothing but troubles" or videos from oil peddlers that all show theirs flow best and smoke less. Sure would be nice to know what viscosity the oils are at the very least. For now our 2 stroke oil purchases and usage is determined by sales BS and urban legends\myths. I buy my 2 stroke oil from my sled dealer that is recommended for the sleds engine, helps him out and I don't think anyone can say it's wrong for me and my engine.

·
Administrator
7,906 Posts
Gonna throw an oil question out there for ya. What was the mineral oil used about 15 years ago for 2 strokes? Commonly used in PWC's I believe. It was supposed to take the country by storm but dont know what happened there. I may have tried it once in our pwc's way back when but cant seem to locate it anymore on the internet.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Gonna throw an oil question out there for ya. What was the mineral oil used about 15 years ago for 2 strokes? Commonly used in PWC's I believe. It was supposed to take the country by storm but dont know what happened there. I may have tried it once in our pwc's way back when but cant seem to locate it anymore on the internet.
I never used a marine oil in my sled and never used sled oil in my boat motors. Somehow I had it in my head sled oil was too thin for marine use and marine oil too thick for sled use. True or false, who cares? I don’t. I use Cat mineral oil in my Bearcat 570 fanner. It’s not like I go through gallons of it a season. This way I’m not wondering if XX oil is good enough or not.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I never used a marine oil in my sled and never used sled oil in my boat motors. Somehow I had it in my head sled oil was too thin for marine use and marine oil too thick for sled use. True or false, who cares? I don’t. I use Cat mineral oil in my Bearcat 570 fanner. It’s not like I go through gallons of it a season. This way I’m not wondering if XX oil is good enough or not.
acpatera, you are correct, need a rating system for snowmobile oils. Very well written, and interesting subject matter without putting the blame or finger pointing on one specific manufacturer. Thanks dude!

161 - 180 of 185 Posts