Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to get a 6000RR and everyone says you need to run ctec2 oil because its rated for -40 which gives it a thin viscosity but I see it gets the power valves all plugged up... Since I'm a Klotz guy I see that Klotz techniplate has a -44 pour point, the power valve formula and the clean burn technology. I'm thinking about running that, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why risk for basically no price difference? You will use so little it is not worth any risk.
I don't care about cost... I know Klotz is the more superior oil. My buddies have always ran it and they get over 11,000 miles on theirs. I just like it more and I've always ran it. Do you know anyone who has ran Klotz?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Q It has to with Viscosity and how much you want to take a chance on having warranty rejected. I know of no one who runs anything but Ctec 2 oil. Retarded to take a chance in'my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While Klotz is a great oil, warranty will not cover it in event of engine damage. (Like pointed out above)

Why risk it? Wait until your warranty is up, then switch. No brainer, really.
I'll run ctec oil but just wanted to see what you guys thought. I just don't like running oil from the manufacturer because they want control over how long something last.... they can engineer that oil to have the engine fail at whatever time they want. But do you guys know of a thread on here or HCS talking about the highest mileage 6000 ctec2? Only seen one post and it was started in 2014... not much for miles back then.

·
Administrator
20,025 Posts
Pffft! Do you KNOW the EXACT REASON WHY they recommend this particular oil for the Ctec-2's.... ????

It has NOTHING to do with "when they want an engine to fail"... The oil pumping system on the Ctec-2's requires a flow rate that's lower (temperature capable) than "any" other oil on the market..

Why (you ask)?... Because the oil pumping system IS NOT mechanically driven by a gear and shaft like 99.9% of all other 2-stroke engines in existence that use oil injection, it is a pump using a diaphragm (which DOES NOT move thicker oils (cold oil especially) very well, and will starve the system quite possibly......

As far as oil threads here and "over there"... You don't have to inform me about them... I've seen some doozies from "that site" in the past.... Pure technical logic prevails here for this engine series.. You don't use thicker oils for this series engine injection, UNLESS, you run out and have ZERO OPTIONS except to run "something else" until you can get more Ctec-2 to replace it with ASAP..

Sorry if it appears that I'm yelling with CAPS, I'm just making my points unmistakenly clear, (I'd hope)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pffft! Do you KNOW the EXACT REASON WHY they recommend this particular oil for the Ctec-2's.... ????

It has NOTHING to do with "when they want an engine to fail"... The oil pumping system on the Ctec-2's requires a flow rate that's lower (temperature capable) than "any" other oil on the market..

Why (you ask)?... Because the oil pumping system IS NOT mechanically driven by a gear and shaft like 99.9% of all other 2-stroke engines in existence that use oil injection, it is a pump using a diaphragm (which DOES NOT move thicker oils (cold oil especially) very well, and will starve the system quite possibly......

As far as oil threads here and "over there"... You don't have to inform me about them... I've seen some doozies from "that site" in the past.... Pure technical logic prevails here for this engine series.. You don't use thicker oils for this series engine injection, UNLESS, you run out and have ZERO OPTIONS except to run "something else" until you can get more Ctec-2 to replace it with ASAP..

Sorry if it appears that I'm yelling with CAPS, I'm just making my points unmistakenly clear, (I'd hope)
I just know how companies are... they want full control But is there a thread here with the high mileage 6000 ctecs?

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts
Paid 36 bucks for a gallon of ctech2. I have not seen any fancy oil cheaper than that other than amsoil when i was a dealer for it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Am not aware of any aftermarket oil for use in Cat's C-tec2 motors. Cat's C-tec2 oil is some good stuff and inexpensive ($20.00/48oz bag). Engine doesn't smoke, use oil and no problems I've encountered w/ temps. As for oil use, there is a lot of talk on it, but I've gone about 800-900 miles before adding any----and then it's maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag (48oz). Oil looks like water for comparison. What aftermarket oil has that as well?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love how people think an aftermarket oil is far superior than a manufactures. I'm sure klotz spent 6 years developing their oil specifically for the Ctec like Cat did. Im sure they logged over 500,000 miles and tore down several Ctec engines to make sure the wear and cleaning is up to par. Arctic Cat did all this, why would anyone want to use something else? There is several Ctec 6000s out there right now with well over 10,000 miles running Ctec oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pffft! Do you KNOW the EXACT REASON WHY they recommend this particular oil for the Ctec-2's.... ???? It has NOTHING to do with "when they want an engine to fail"... The oil pumping system on the Ctec-2's requires a flow rate that's lower (temperature capable) than "any" other oil on the market.. Why (you ask)?... Because the oil pumping system IS NOT mechanically driven by a gear and shaft like 99.9% of all other 2-stroke engines in existence that use oil injection, it is a pump using a diaphragm (which DOES NOT move thicker oils (cold oil especially) very well, and will starve the system quite possibly......

c-tec is not the best performing oil at cold temps. a number of oils meet it or beat it. what it is can best be described as one of the thinnest oils @ room temp. it also has to be one of the worst performing synthetic oils detergent wise. by cat's own admission APV cleanings are required every 1000 miles. i have never seen a pic of a APV running c-tec oil with over 1000 that was not blackend. this and this alone has caused my switch over to an ester based oil that is JASCO FD rated. ill be the Ginnie Pig if you will. i have been monitoring the replacement oil with these -20 temps and see no issue with viscosity. no way cat will ever deny a claim based on not using only cat oil. federal law prohibits that. its up to cat to make sure the product they are selling does not require such. all i have ever heard them state is "the only oil recommended for your c-tec 2", nothing ever about required.

·
Registered
921 Posts
c-tec is not the best performing oil at cold temps. a number of oils meet it or beat it. what it is can best be described as one of the thinnest oils @ room temp. it also has to be one of the worst performing synthetic oils detergent wise. by cat's own admission APV cleanings are required every 1000 miles. i have never seen a pic of a APV running c-tec oil with over 1000 that was not blackend. this and this alone has caused my switch over to an ester based oil that is JASCO FD rated. ill be the Ginnie Pig if you will. i have been monitoring the replacement oil with these -20 temps and see no issue with viscosity. no way cat will ever deny a claim based on not using only cat oil. federal law prohibits that. its up to cat to make sure the product they are selling does not require such. all i have ever heard them state is "the only oil recommended for your c-tec 2", nothing ever about required.
Not according to my owners manual. Says nothing about 1000 mile cleanings. I have 2000 on my 15 and I have had no issues with sticking valves. The stuff plain works.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not according to my owners manual. Says nothing about 1000 mile cleanings. I have 2000 on my 15 and I have had no issues with sticking valves. The stuff plain works.
you are correct. by memory fails me often.

it states to check adjustment every 1-2K. from the same section: "if the cable/exhaust valve does not move freely, the exhaust assembly will need to be removed for further inspection.take the snowmobile to an authorized dealer for service."

it also stated cleanings if required are on your dime.

cant say i have heard of stuck APV's but cleanliness is very poor on any i have seen running c-tec oil.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The black stuff comes off those valves with little to no effort. I had a hard time on my previous 600 running other oils. Not worth the risk if you have warranty as they can deny your claim if it is oil related.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd love to see the source of this information. Please post a link.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
774 Posts
skidaddler,

I have a question. If the c-tec2 oil is so bad at low temps, then how does thicker oil used by non c-tec2 motors work in low temps? Ski-Doo and Polaris have same type of oil for their sleds. I too would like to see your source on how the c-tec oil is so bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
c-tec oil is not bad at low temps. to say there are no equals and or none better is false. the oils only shortcoming is its dirty.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts