Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried CST Wild Thangs? they seem very similar to my Mudlite XTRs but far far cheaper for the same size tire.

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
They sell them at princess auto right ?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They sell them at princess auto right ?
I've never seen them there, I just saw them at Revco online and a set of 27s was like $530 shipped. which isn't bad, if I get 27s I'll do my 10% gear reduction and be laughin

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
Check princess auto I saw them here in Calgary. You have a PA up there?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah we do have one here, the PA website doesn't have them, I'll check up here. they seem really light for what they are (5lbs lighter than my XTRs) which is concerning for carcass strength

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can get them online through the official shop. I heard a lot of great reviews about it but I have never tried to install it on my ATV.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just ordered a 26" set of these which should be here in a few days. Unfortunately, I probably won't get a chance to give them a proper test in the mud for a little bit, but I can post some pics and thoughts after I get them mounted.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here's my set of 26's:

Initial thoughts: they're a little heavier than I was thinking they'd be, but I don't have a scale to weigh them to get their actual weights. The shipping weight of one front and rear tire, including the box and no packing material is 53.1 lbs.

The rubber seems fairly hard so they should last a while, and the sidewalls and carcass seem plenty stiff and beefy so I don't think punctures will be an issue.

They look way more aggressive than the stock pics make them out to be.

The guy I got them from (Pure Offroad) said that these are a bit more heavy duty than their Maxxis Zilla counterparts and prefers these to the Zillas, especially for SXS use. They are rated for about twice the load capacity (825/965 lbs) vs. the Zillas (420/480 lbs).

I hope I didn't buy too much tire for my 400; I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'll get another set of pics and some measurements once they are mounted and aired up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
All mounted up and ready to go!

The million dollar question that always seems to be on everyone's mind: Are they true to size? Aired up to their max pressure at 18 PSI, yes they do measure 26" in diameter. In fact, the fronts measure about 26.25". I aired them down to 6 PSI to get a feel for them and they measure about 25.5". Unmounted they were 24.xx".

The front tires on aluminum Cat rims weigh quite a bit more than my stock 4 ply Dunlops on steel Cat rims. The rears "feel" pretty close.

At 6 PSI, there's some sidewall flex. I took them about a mile down my paved road and they were rough under about 7 mph. Over that, pretty smooth, but you can tell you're riding on a mud tire. My old Dunlops were very loud on pavement; these are almost silent. My old, early Mudlites I had a few years ago were very soft compound. Anytime I drove them on pavement, I would leave tracks even going straight. So far, these don't do that unless I'm turning. As I said in my previous post, they don't seem to be super soft, but they aren't hard like Titan 589s. We'll see how they hold up over the long run.

I might be able to get out this weekend and do some trail riding and put them through their paces. I can't promise any mud since it's extremely dry in my area right now.

·
Administrator
37,173 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I went out for a 65 mile ride yesterday evening after a good rain and I came away rather impressed with the tires. They handle well on the trail with very little sidewall flex and are pretty smooth. I lost a little power over the stock tires, but I was expecting that.

Performance on sand, gravel, and rocks was very good, and the traction in the mud was great. They allow very minimal slide on gravel and dirt during high speed cornering, but a fair amount on pavement. One negative is that they do throw a lot of rocks and gravel while trail riding. I imagine that will get better once the cups on the tread wear down.

I was riding with two other people; one had Sedona Ripsaws and the other Bighorn 2.0s. The Bighorns got stuck in one mud hole after the machine high centered, the ripsaws made it through with lots of spinning in 2wd, and mine made it through with a small amount of spin in 2wd.

We'll see how they hold up over the long term, but so far I'm happy with my purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts