Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I got my 97 Powder Extreme dialed in just the knick of time!

Project was to install a 2007 CrossFire Skid into a 1997 Powder Extreme.

[attachment=142652:1Powder_Skid_001.jpg]

Here's the old one

[attachment=142653:01_Old_Skid.jpg]

And here's the new one.
[attachment=142654:02_New_Skid.jpg]

Exactly the same, only different!

My test hang showed that the CrossFire Skids are an inch narrower than my old one.

[attachment=142655:3_Test_Hang.jpg]
[attachment=142656:4_Skid_too_Narrow.jpg]

Not to worry! A quick trip to Mills Fleet Farm scored me some nice ½ agricultural bearing retainers, some tubing, and grade 8 bolts.

[attachment=142657:5_Spacer_Hardware.jpg]

Place the tube into the retainer, lock the set screw, trim, and smooth.

[attachment=142659:7_spacers_Done.jpg]

Nice! Now just need to tickle them in. Here's the TSL

[attachment=142660:8_Spacer_TSL.jpg]

And here's the front arm

[attachment=142661:9_Spacer_Front.jpg]

I figured, that since I was down there, might as well replace the upper idlers with larger ones. Seems CrossFires have a TSL rubbing situation. Thought I nip this on in the bud.

[attachment=142662:10_Larger_Wheels.jpg]

Plenty on clearance now.

Got everything set, track partially aligned, and tension just a little loose.

[attachment=142663:11_Skid_On.jpg]

Looks like it should work

[attachment=142664:12_Powder_Back.jpg]

Side doesn't look too bad

[attachment=142667:13_Powder_Side.jpg]

And the lugs seem to contact evenly

[attachment=142666:14_Track_Level.jpg]

By following the TSL Skid swap sticky, everything seemed to come together quite nicely. Of course, the front and rear arm spacing was different since we have a 136" skid. And the spacer mod was necessary. I'm pretty optimistic that a 10 year newer skid should feel pretty nice! I guess this weekend will tell the story. I'm pumped.

Questions and comments welcome. Let's Ride! Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Be sure to leave an update!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up the skid from Mohawks in Hibbing. $450 and that included a set of scratchers. Not cheap, by any means, but it's only 2 years old. Much less than a new one or an M10. Call me crazy, but I figured "what the heck!"

I added a grease zerk to the TSL as well. Seemed really dry. Some say that it's not necessary, but if it moves, I figure it should be greased. I'll post a pic if anyone is interested.

The red wheels clashed with my color scheme. So I hit them with some krylon fusion "hammered metal" color. We'll see how they hold up.

Christmas day we should be rocking! Cheers!

·
5,963 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FrozenTows @ Dec 23 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I picked up the skid from Mohawks in Hibbing. $450 and that included a set of scratchers. Not cheap, by any means, but it's only 2 years old. Much less than a new one or an M10. Call me crazy, but I figured "what the heck!"

I added a grease zerk to the TSL as well. Seemed really dry. Some say that it's not necessary, but if it moves, I figure it should be greased. I'll post a pic if anyone is interested.

The red wheels clashed with my color scheme. So I hit them with some krylon fusion "hammered metal" color. We'll see how they hold up.

Christmas day we should be rocking! Cheers![/b]
Yea you are going to get a lot of snow.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ride is absolutely incredible! The only thing, that I would do different next time, is to drop the TSL mount hole as low as possible and still keep it above the boards. About 3/4 to 1 inch lower.

Since mine has the 1 1/2 inch track, I rub the tunnel occasionally. But only when hit some good sized moguls while sitting down. Not bad. No biggy. No coolers rubbing under there. I rubbed 3-4 times on my last 50 mile ride.

For more aggressive riding, I could crank the blocks up a notch. The clearance, that I have now, is just about identical to the pull off the shelf Crossfires. Definitely a great upgrade. Hope to see you on the trails!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
So your sled should be a perfect candidate for the AGLT front end suspension upgrade too isn't it?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Very nice job toes! Did you use the existing front arm holes in the tunnel and relocate/drill the back ones on this change? Again nice job. Peace, beeler

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I put a 2008 F series Sno Pro suspension with the Zero Pro shocks in mine last fall. It worked pretty well but you'll notice on his pictures how the suspension is pulled up in the front too much. I had that same problem with mine. I ended up drilling the lower holes and relocating it. It still wasn't perfect either though as like he mentioned it rubs on the coolers in the tunnel on big G outs. On mine I bought some drop brackets from a ZR sno pro something this spring and then remounted and remeasured for the right drops and c/c for the suspension and remounted it all with shock revalving and a Twisted spring from Hygear. Also, since mine has the sliding front shaft I put the upgraded steel bar on that as well to prevent it from bending like some F-series have had trouble with. I can't wait to ride it this year. Should be like a whole new sled again.

Steve

·
Registered
390 Posts
Steve, are you saying you had to relocate both the front and back holes to make this skid work for you? (Probably the best thing to do is get actual measurements from an F sled?) I always thought the F series skid would be a nice upgrade because of the sliding arm setup, all reports have them riding very good. Hope it works out for you, cool mod!! With the price of new sleds upgrading your existing stuff makes a lot of sense. Nice looking ZR man. Peace,beeler

1 - 16 of 16 Posts