Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a friends 2006 crossfire 700 efi. His brother was riding it, shut it off went inside somewhere and came out and the sled wouldn't start. They brought it home and it sat and now I have it trying to get it trying to run again. I have got it narrowed down to no spark. It is getting fuel, I even put fuel down the cylinder just to make sure. I put a spark tester and wasn't getting anything. Tested the plug coil and it was weak so I changed it out with a good one. I have checked wires all over to make sure there wasn't anything rubbing. When you pull it over you don't really get any dash lights to flash. I tested the key and kill switch, also unplugged them to make sure they weren't the reason. I am running out of ideas and don't really want to just throw parts at it. So I figured I would come here and see what ideas all of you guys have. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any idea of why the sled wouldn't be getting spark. Or at least another direction to go. I know I have been looking at it and messing with it for awhile so I more than likely overlooked a very simple thing.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Is there too much play in the throttle cable? If it gets stretched out of spec it will set off the safety switches and kill the engine. The adjustment is at the throttle body end of the cable.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Another thought: My buddies 2013 800RR was doing this too; searched for info, found one suggestion; hold the throttle wide open and pull the rope, hold the brake or set the parking brake when doing so, or raise the rear end. For some stupid reason, it fired right up and ran again. Don't ask me why, maybe resetting the ECU or something?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check the adjustment on the throttle. I know I did hold the throttle while pulling it over and it didn't do anything. But I don't think I set the parking brake and tried to hold the throttle. I will give it a shot. I am willing to try anything to see if maybe it will run again. I was thinking maybe the stator is bad. Thing is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Does he have a non-stock light setup or bulbs? I know mine has glow-worms in jam-jars for lights and I know it only has so many watts available for lights so some aftermarket bulbs will fry the system unless you disconnect rear light and hand warmers.
Also, the TSS will give you trouble I think, but AFAIK it should still start and idle no matter how bad it is unless the throttle body is stuck open slightly (or held open with the throttle) while the TSS is bad.

Swapnostics is a word I learned today as it happens, the sad truth of most snowmobile diagnostics is that we simply have to swap out different parts until we find the error. We can be glad we don't fix tractors or other heavy equipment at least, they invented that term :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have verified the functionality of the E-stop, Throttle Switch and Ignition Switch, I would start by pulling the connector at the ECU and look for any broken, bent, pushed or corroded pins. Third thing I would do is check the charge coil resistance. You can read the charge coil resistance at the ECU connector. You should read the following:

BLK/YELLOW (Pin 27) to GREEN (Pin 29) = (13.6-20.4 ohms)
GREEN (Pin 29) to BROWN/WHITE (Pin 28)= (13.6-20.4 ohms)

If the resistance reading is out of spec, you will need to locate the mag connector and repeat the process from the mag connector to the magneto. If the values are still bad, you eithe have a bad magneto or the connector wiring is bad.

The charge coils are rated at 17ohm. After the sled has sat for awhile the capacitors in the ECU will discharge. This is why first ride of the morning you need to pull it once to charge the ECU and a second pull to start the engine.

The problem you describe sounds like the ECU is not being turned on.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does he have a non-stock light setup or bulbs? I know mine has glow-worms in jam-jars for lights and I know it only has so many watts available for lights so some aftermarket bulbs will fry the system unless you disconnect rear light and hand warmers.
Also, the TSS will give you trouble I think, but AFAIK it should still start and idle no matter how bad it is unless the throttle body is stuck open slightly (or held open with the throttle) while the TSS is bad.

Swapnostics is a word I learned today as it happens, the sad truth of most snowmobile diagnostics is that we simply have to swap out different parts until we find the error. We can be glad we don't fix tractors or other heavy equipment at least, they invented that term :D

He doesn't have anything non-stock on the sled. Yea I know the swapping out parts sometimes is the only thing to do. I ended up having to do that on my 03 F7 for a check engine light. I just hate wasting money on parts that aren't needed, but sometimes I know it is the only way to go. Wish I had another crossfire local that I could pull parts off of to try. But no luck in that department. Like you said luckily it isn't heavy equipment where the parts are crazy expensive.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have verified the functionality of the E-stop, Throttle Switch and Ignition Switch, I would start by pulling the connector at the ECU and look for any broken, bent, pushed or corroded pins. Third thing I would do is check the charge coil resistance. You can read the charge coil resistance at the ECU connector. You should read the following:

BLK/YELLOW (Pin 27) to GREEN (Pin 29) = (13.6-20.4 ohms)
GREEN (Pin 29) to BROWN/WHITE (Pin 28)= (13.6-20.4 ohms)

If the resistance reading is out of spec, you will need to locate the mag connector and repeat the process from the mag connector to the magneto. If the values are still bad, you eithe have a bad magneto or the connector wiring is bad.

The charge coils are rated at 17ohm. After the sled has sat for awhile the capacitors in the ECU will discharge. This is why first ride of the morning you need to pull it once to charge the ECU and a second pull to start the engine.

The problem you describe sounds like the ECU is not being turned on.
Thank you for the information and another direction to go. I did test the functionality of the throttle switch and the Ignition switch, I started with those thinking maybe one was bad and wasn't letting things get turned on.

I thought I checked the charge coil but maybe I didn't. I will have to try that tonight when I am out messing with it. I have a service manual but it it just for all sleds in 2006 I couldn't find one that was specific for the crossfire so it just has general tests for certain parts of the system. Plus I know people on these forums are usually way more helpful than a manual. Have received a lot of help with certain things from people on here. I will test what you suggested and will let you know what I came up with.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is that when you disconnect the ECU connector, make sure you are grounded to the sled chassis. This will prevent an electrostatic discharge. You can simply touch the cylinder head right before you disconnect the ECM connector. This will put you at the same voltage potential as the ECM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts