Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, learning some stuff about this sled. First off I have a disclaimer now everytime I race....IT'S GEARED TOO LOW for lake racing!!! Ha ha.

Went to the lake Friday and plowed a 600' strip. Glare ice. Since I sharpened my BRAND NEW studs the XF7 hooks up pretty good now. I did a few runs and was a bit surprised to only see 80+ mph at the end of the strip. My testing has shown HIGH 80's to 90 with my F7 on SNOW in the same distance...hmmm.

So yesterday I was back out there with my sled, bud's box stock XF7, my F7 and buds F5. Now my F7 is clutched, PAC and key. My XF7 D&D clutching, key. Bud's XF7 100% box stock. Bud's F5 has all the parts off my old F5. Race CDI, clutching, and a good "tune up."

First let me say this. My F7 feels MUCH MUCH faster then the XF7. I couldn't believe it. First thing I did was run the F7 on the ice strip. Speedo was in the low 90's by the end of the strip. I couldn't believe almost 10mph faster??? Wow.

So we lined the 3 700's up. This was good packed snow with a little loose on top. -10 degrees F. My XF was first off the line followed by my F7 then the box stock XF. By 500' I think I had 2-3 lengths on the F7, and about right at 1000' the F7 went by me so fast I think it peeled some stickers off my brand new XF! I can't believe the XF lays down that much. I know it's geared low...but WOW. Don't get me wrong the Crossfire still pulls to 90++ at 1500' on snow, but the F7 is GONE. The box stock XF was probabaly another 5 lengths behind mine! This was repeated after a few runs. Do the DD clutches really lose THAT much efficiency as it goes into overdrive in the 70mph range??

So that was enough with the F7. Went and got my buds F5. Now this thing is a freak as was mine. My F5 would run with about ANY stock 600 including the HO SDI and HO poo (both box stock). We took off and my XF left the F5, but the box stocker didn't. I looked back at 1000' and the dang 500cc was COMING. I couldn't believe it. This F5 would have passed my 700 Crossfire in 2000' I believe. The stock Crossfire never even put a length on this F5!

One point of interest is that both Crossfires are running low 7900's for RPM's. Mine pulls like mad from 0-80 then feels like it lays down as accel greatly decreases. I THINK I may need to lower R's by 100. Either way this is not a lake sled and guys better watch out for good running 600's as they will give the Crossfire all it can handle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Great post

I think i have stated more then once 62-58 gears would be perfect in this sled - Still awesome on the trails/offtrail and some more on the lakes
Probably this summer i will switch gears

So what was your top end - With the XS801 have you noticed any belt slip - Is it wiping the primary clutch clean/full shiftout

My clutching is awesome low to mid but honestly for top mph , probably no different - I am also in that 7900 - 7940 rpm range no matter what springs i throw at it
I am hoping the 044 belt would bring that down a little over the 036 belt - Or maybe 78 gram daltons over the Cat oem 77 gram weights that i installed - I really dont want to spend any more money on clutching though

Your right though topend - On the lake/very loose snow maybe 96-98 mph
On a plowed road i am in that 103-105 range on my Vista GPS - Thats it - Still think i am to heavy on the secondary spring for top end though - Awesome for trail and backshift but the factory green seemed to top end more

I had a 2003-2004 Xcsp 600 right along side me on top end awhile ago on a lake - No comparison low to mid and out of the hole - Bye bye
Same with my Buds Renegade 600 HO and a Rev 500ss - See you guys
Those are the only sleds i really did any side by side racing with

I did race a Apex - Was great up until about 90-95 when he screamed by like i hit the brakes - Said that sled was hitting 115 mph that day when i was hitting around 100 mph

And cmon - Those F5s scream 0 - 800 feet - If i told you all the sleds i beat out of the hole till about 80mph half these guys would fall off there chair
My 2005 F5 was awesome low to mid - Would constantly beat my wife and her little ass on my 2003 F5 up until about 80-85 - And then she would go flying by pulling 3-6 sled lengths - Was all about belt slip and the 034 kevlar belt versus the 020 belt in the 2003 - Nothing more nothing less

I have alot less belt slip in this Crossfire versus the 2005 F5 that i was running - Running the rockhard kevlar 034 belt in my 05 F5 i was never reaching full shiftout and black marks all over the primary sheaves - And that sled was clutched

Both that F5 and Crossfire run the same 10" secondary - However the 2005 F5 i think was a little overgeared on top and then add beltslip
My crossfire is within 1/8" of full shiftout on the primary sheaves with zero issue of blackmarks - I am not saying that the belt is not slipping , but much improved by looking at things

If i still had my 2005 F5 i would have switched over to a different belt compound in a heartbeat this year

I love these Crossfires - Top end i guess wasnt an issue when i bought them , especially coming off 10 years worth of ZR 500s and F5s

An issue is taking a M series tunnel and not strengthing it in anyway , and expecting it to take the abuse of everyday trail riding(Moguls Moguls Moguls)
That my friend , is poor piss Arctic Cat engineering at its finest
$20 worth of these inside tunnel supports , that Cat designed after the fact , would have been installed from the factory on these Crossfires and we would probably never have been discussing the issue

·
Registered
287 Posts
Theres no doubt, the Xfires are not top-end lake racers. It will beat most across a SNOW covered lake, against simular cc sleds, IMO. If your serious about speed, gear-up a few teeth, shave track, 10 tooth drivers, ect....but you mind as well buy a f7 then.
Still, I'll give up top-end over an f7, for the ride and ergo's of the Xfire.
If you want to lower r's, I think you gotta do it in the primary. Gotta like the adjustable wieghts.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree guys...this sled is not designed to be a top end runner. Very interesting points as usual Scott. I see the EXACT same R's you see. 7920-7960. My F7 runs 7800. I am in the same boat though....not really wanting to spend more $$ on clutch parts this year. I probably need 67 gram weights. I may just go with a softer spring...but want to keep engagement up. I did loosen my deflection and that took my R's below 7900, but I'm not sure that helped either.

I have not run this thing in a spot where I can top it out. I ran 95 last year on slop in a mile or so box stock. The lake I've been testing on is only good for about 1500+- feet before shutdown.

I may extend my plowed strip to that 1500' or so and see what the XF will MPH in that distance...but it's gotta warm up first.

The XS belt keeps my clutches cleaner than the 036 on my buds box stocker. You can see what I'd have to call "swirl" marks on his primary. Not on mine and my F7 is spotless....there is no rubber on that clutch ever. His belt alignment is good also.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not believe I will ever change gears in this sled...or drivers. Unless I can find something for CHEAP.

I don't like the idea of 10t drivers messing with the speedo and like I've said before it is what it is and I don't want to spend a grand trying to make it more. I just have to be happy with it. It runs great except for top end.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Went for a little test and tune ride today myself up to Racine Co. Decided to grind up a set of O.E.M. weights just for ****s and grins. Lucked out on the first engagement notch and nailed it at 5000rpm with the 195# spring. Put a heavy CROSSHATCH on both clutches and readjusted for the 044. Dropped the INJECTOR PERFECTOR down to the 290 jet and readjusted the oil pump one turn. It was more than what I wanted to throw at it all at one time, but patiance is growing thin. The end result was that although the oem weights pulled good and with the crosshatch did'nt notice any belt slip, the heelclickers still grip the belt better by about 15-20% even without the crosshatch. Im curious how hard it's going to want to pull when I reinstall the clickers. The I.P. helped cleanup the fuel by maybe 10-15% compared to stock. Plugs look like they are supposed to, except for still being a little fuel rich. Put on approx 75 miles with this setup today, with several stops for plug checks. Here's a few trail pics, not to shabby for s.e.wisconsin

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have also been scratching about real world runs (plowed roads) and Field Testing,
the thing about making it fly on the road is it must HOOK and hard. But you go
and run your other buddy in the field You are going to spin a lot and shift out (RPM's)
will never recover. But I know my neighbors F6 with 1inch track and 180 1.5inch studs
is going to make me look stupid. What do you do, I guess run as many studs as you can
fit in there but I've already done that to my 900 so I guess I'll ride it on the bar and enjoy
throwing snow all over them when they get stuck......
Screaming Pumpkin go
Soulemann

Tunnel supports by OLD CAT MAN (Very Nice Fit)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I'm looking for the happy medium setup that excels most on hardpack. Can't have everything in the same setup.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So My issue with going up in weight is that yes it bites the belt harder and will keep the RPM's down
but if your spinning it shifts up so hard that you usually load the motor so hard that it won't MPH.
But I was hearing somebody on here going down in weight that would allow for the shift out and keeping the rev's up??? and you would be able to run less lbs on the secondary spring???
I have made 3or 4 spring changes and I'm back with the Cat Green again and the Shift assist
bearing the as well as with the primary back to stk? I do not have enough big pin parts
for the primary to go hog wild on that, I like the Idea of a flat on the weights to get the engagement
up abit but I am having issues with getting it to bite. So I would be throwing snow and going slow?
Not sure what to go to now...
Soulemann

·
Registered
168 Posts
cmscat or Mafia
have you tried the cat big pin 70grm weights
and a softer secondary spring so the weights
still hold the belt 036???

·
Registered
270 Posts
My 06 crossfire 700 sno pro runs great out of the hole. I havent had a chance really to top it out becuase most of the fields around where i live are to short. All i have done to it is boyseen reeds and gw clutch and 162 studs. It pulls really hard till 85 then it creaps up to 95 then i have to let off. i pretty sure theres not much left after 95 but thats in about 600 ft. And at that time i have about 2 3 sleds on a f7 but hes creaping up on me. for a crossfire im fine w/ that cuz i know a f7 will wax me on top end i just wanna smash it out of the hole. but my question to you guys is do you think a d&d y pipe will help me out at all or no.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What are the weights in that kit?
I have not had much luck with a Keyway change
in any model of sled!
The Y-pipe I had hoped to pull a few more RPM's
with that but?? It is crisp and responsive.
I run all stock clutching but the shift assist bearing
and running 105 on the hard pack. Not liking the
ammount of time to get there though.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not run Cat weights with the XS belt and will not.

I have a timing key. BIG difference in response. Y-pipe and key each gain 1-2 hp...so not even a sledlength in a race.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.