Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my piece of crap sleds and am ready to possibly pick up a new one. We found a super super nice 2008 Crossfire 500 that nobody wants to buy because it’s “ just a little 500” I rode my buddy’s crossfire 600 and he’s 12 and man, that thing is pretty darn sweet. I’m 13 and I’m sure a 500 would be fine. Any reviews and pros/ cons that anyone would have?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Pretty much the same sled as your buddies. The 600 is around 118 horsepower, the 500 is around 85, For trail riding, there probably isn't any difference, crossing a lake your buddy might just have to wait for you. The 500 will likely use less gas and oil and insurance is likely a bit cheaper too. The 500 engine doesn't have power valves, the 600 does. That's one less thing to mess around with too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thank you! The guy with the crossfire didn’t respond so I’m probably going down South to pick up a 06 F5. I’m moving up from a 1990 Pantera 440. A 500 will probably be perfect to get used to the newer ones. Then maybe in the future I can get a 600 or 700.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The 500s are great reliable engines, I hardly ever see people willing to sell them because its practically free to have it as a spare (and for early and late season riding when there's little snow).

If you take the Y-pipe, expansion chamber and can indoors during the summer (and jam some rags in the cylinder exhaust ports and stick a small plastic bag over the top of the engine ofc), then you won't have those bits rust on you (a new Y-pipe is surprisingly costly if it gets cracked due to rust, indoors it won't rust).

And replace the fuel in the tank after the summer before you start riding (use the fuel on your parents car or something).

Maybe see if you can find a new secondary spring (0648-693 part number for the F5), that's how you make sure its not slow off the line (the spring will get softer over time and the secondary spring is very important in stopping the clutches from gearing up too quick). New secondary spring and new clutch rollers happens to be the number one thing to check if people start talking about engine mods or bigger engines, clutching is VERY important to how many horses you get down on the ground.

Also check if the engine mounts are dissolving, I don't think they will be, but the bigger engines on these chassis tend to always need new right side engine mount (in that case they just buy a used left engine mount plate, then cut the plate away, and are left with 2-3 good mounts for the right side, for the price of one new engine mount).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks. I just picked up a 2006 Arctic Cat F5 sno pro. Super fast. But today it was -4 and it said it felt like -20. Well I took the sled out because it just snowed and it was fine and all, until I realized I was about out of gas. And it started bogging and it just fell on its face and stayed there. I went and got some gas and it’s still doing that problem. It’s like it has race sled clutching, so I tighten the spark plugs a little bit. And it seemed a little bit better afterwards, I rode it around nicely around 10 miles an hour. And my brother said it was just to cold. And he’s taking it for a trip on Saturday. The sled has 2300 miles and this is happening? Lol. Got any suggestions?

·
Registered
280 Posts
-4F or -4C? If -4F then I have to ask; how much did you let it warm up before you set off? I'd take the Y-pipe off and check the rings on the pistons, and check if there are any marks on the cylinders at the other side. If its very cold the piston can expand more than the cylinder and your best case scenario is that you wreck your piston-rings and nicasil layer. Its an easy fix (4-500 bucks in the states or canadaland), but suffice it to say if this is the problem your brother is **** outta luck this weekend.

Also, did you fill oil? clean the exhaust valves? Look at the clutches to see if there's anything obvious like a broken spring? Are the spark plugs 2300 miles old?

Find the shop/service manual for the sled (not the owners manual but the proper manual that the mechanic will use to fix things). Read it, that will give you an eye for what to look for and you'll save a ton of money in the long run because you'll spot things early. The shop/service manual can usually be found for free online somewhere.

·
Registered
280 Posts
PS: You can also ask the previous owner for help on searching for the problem (also did you get any receipts with the sled, on what service and maintenance he's done previously? Not only to cut down on the list of what could be wrong, but to find out where to look for human errors when the service and maintenance was done). And remember to mention that its well within your right to cancel the purchase if you can't fix it. For all we know the previous owner smuggled cocaine in the fuel tank and one day a bag ruptured and when you call him up about a problem he might go "oh right, you might need to clean the fuel injectors and the fuel pump for... residue that you shouldn't try to smell in order to find out what it is".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS: You can also ask the previous owner for help on searching for the problem (also did you get any receipts with the sled, on what service and maintenance he's done previously? Not only to cut down on the list of what could be wrong, but to find out where to look for human errors when the service and maintenance was done). And remember to mention that its well within your right to cancel the purchase if you can't fix it. For all we know the previous owner smuggled cocaine in the fuel tank and one day a bag ruptured and when you call him up about a problem he might go "oh right, you might need to clean the fuel injectors and the fuel pump for... residue that you shouldn't try to smell in order to find out what it is".
Ok. We’ve owned it for like 2 weeks now and I let it warm up for like 2 minutes then I pulled it out of the shop and let it sit outside the shop for a minute and then I gently rode it to my driveway 1000 feet away and then I rode it to the ditches and warmed it up there. It was all fine and I was hittin drifts and I hit another one and then it just fell on its face. Probably moisture in the carbs tbh

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
are the intake meshes intact? Next to the headlights, right side, if I recall correctly.
You're thinking of the 07 & up twin spar chassis'.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My bad, this chassis has on both left and right side of the headlights. I just have the left side on mine removed and blanked off because the left side mesh is torn (came like that from last owner).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All intact. My dad and brother are coming back tonight with another sled 😂. 06 F6. Once we figure out this problem we’ll go riding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts