Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a 2009 Crossfire 1000 at an unbelievable price. The catch is the sled has hit a tree before. The necessary work was done to replace the suspension components but I am worried about some other things on the sled.
1) The snow flap is missing- How much to replace that?
2) The hood is broken around the hinge connection- How much is a new hood if I can even find one. And is there any option to buy a hood from another year of crossfire.
3) When starting the sled, the exhaust has a loud pop/rattle/vibration coming from the pipe/exhaust area.
4) The sled hit the tree on the left side- since the clutch is on the left, what can I do to make sure the clutch is aligned properly to avoid flying through belts?
5) Is there anything I should be on the lookout for in regards to possible issues with this sled? I'm coming off a 98' ZR 600 EFI.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,770 Posts
I moved this into the crossfire section. The R shares many of the same parts for your question.
There is never a simple answer to crashed sled questions. It is basically a buyer beware situation.
If you don't mind wrenching for the price, there are some basics to check before purchase. Clutches, engine alignment, and DD would all be potentially affected by a hit on that side. Any tweek in that front frame can haunt runability and durability. The mount for the hood hinge assembly is broken. It would take more than a hood. Not sure what is making the sound you describe in the exhaust. They are pretty basic. Finding that source wouldn't be to hard.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just from the pics you're looking at a hood, nose piece, and left side belly pan. Orange hoods and nose pieces can sometimes be hard to find, I just did the same repairs on an orange crossfire last year and it was tough finding orange that was in decent shape, ended up with a 600 hood on an 800 sled. I did pick up a NIB white hood for $400 that I considered painting orange. Point being that all crossfire hoods will fit your sled.

Since it hit a tree be sure you look really close at the bulkhead where the A arms attach, if welds are broken or other damage from the hit are evident then you may want to pass on the great deal or negotiate for an even better deal. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I moved this into the crossfire section. The R shares many of the same parts for your question.
There is never a simple answer to crashed sled questions. It is basically a buyer beware situation.
If you don't mind wrenching for the price, there are some basics to check before purchase. Clutches, engine alignment, and DD would all be potentially affected by a hit on that side. Any tweek in that front frame can haunt runability and durability. The mount for the hood hinge assembly is broken. It would take more than a hood. Not sure what is making the sound you describe in the exhaust. They are pretty basic. Finding that source wouldn't be to hard.
I’m sorry, I thought I was in the right section. Does that hinge require the whole front section to be replaced?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just from the pics you're looking at a hood, nose piece, and left side belly pan. Orange hoods and nose pieces can sometimes be hard to find, I just did the same repairs on an orange crossfire last year and it was tough finding orange that was in decent shape, ended up with a 600 hood on an 800 sled. I did pick up a NIB white hood for $400 that I considered painting orange. Point being that all crossfire hoods will fit your sled.

Since it hit a tree be sure you look really close at the bulkhead where the A arms attach, if welds are broken or other damage from the hit are evident then you may want to pass on the great deal or negotiate for an even better deal. ;)
I would actually rather have a white hood and front section! I just can’t find any hoods for these things. What are the average prices for a flap? Is my only option buying a new OEM one?

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can get an aftermarket flap for $40-$50.
A new hood from a dealer is way to expensive, I got mine second hand (craigslist) you'll find hoods at swap meets, it might just take some time to gather the parts over the summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts