Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an Arctic Cat from a father-in-law. It is a 1995 Cougar Mountain cat (550) - twin cylinders.

It overheats easily and I'm wondering if the plug wires are on the wrong plugs. Is there an easy way to know which plug wire goes on which plug. Both wires coming from the CDI reach either plug. When I swap them it seems to idle ok either way.

I tried hooking up a timing light but cannot see the timing marks no matter which plug I hook the light's inductor pickup onto. Do I need to do something else to see the timing marks. I figured that if I hooked up the timing light to the mag-side plug, I should see the timing marks on the fly wheel ... but no such luck.

Any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that. I'll keep looking for why it's overheating. I've checked the fluid and thermostat. My next step is to try re-jetting since this sled was jetted for very high altitudes (above 8000 feet) and I'm riding it around 4000.

Any clue on why I don't see the timing marks? I rotate the flywheel by hand and I can see them so I know they are there, but when I start it and look with an induction timing light they are nowhere in sight. If I rev the engine to high rpm's I can start to see them but I'm thinking I should see the timing marks at about 3000 rpm. Is the timing sensitive to engine temperature? Maybe I need to run the engine a while before the timing settles in to where I can see the marks?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Those sleds were famous for air locking in the cooling system. When filling them with coolant you must have the front higher than the back so put a one foot block under both skis and then fill with coolant. I dont know if this is your problem but it is good info. I really dont think timing has anything to do with it. Good luck !!!!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
you should be able to see the timing at 3000 thats usualy the baseline. Just like the jetting at altitude you can run more timing maybee someone has set it high too. Too much timing heats a motor. The stator is adjustable for timing on that motor

·
Registered
68 Posts
You also mentioned the use of an induction timing light, did you know that there is a difference in rpm pick up on a 2 cylce vs a 4 cycle. Check to see if your timing light has a switch setting for 2 cycle. If it does not then it is a standard timing light built for 4 stroke engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts