Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I got my stator in and now when i put my flywheel on its crooked and hits the stator. Will this straighten out after i torque the crap out of it or am i missing something. The end of the crank looks to be fine with no bends

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
make sure you did not knock the key out of place or have the wrong key in. it is also not uncommon for the magnets to pick up metal and create problems.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
I has to go on and be straight before tightening the nut or you (risk) ruining the end of the crank, key way, or flywheel. When placing the flywheel on it has a tendency to grab the flywheel and pulling it off to the side due to the magnets. May take a few tries.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Before tightening, have someone hold the clutch while you rotate the flywheel by hand. You will feel it when the keyway and key align. At this point, the flywheel should push on a little farther and be straight. Hen you can tighten it up, but it really doesn't need to be tightened much. I

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
make sure you did not knock the key out of place or have the wrong key in. it is also not uncommon for the magnets to pick up metal and create problems.
I have cleaned the flywheel and my key doesnt look out of place, Should i try to re postion it or do i need to torque it all the way down to get it to sit flush?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, i have tried to put it on and im pretty sure its aligned with the key way so it gets sucked into place, It does start to straighten out a little when i torque it down do i need to just keep tighting it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would look at the flywheel for cracks or being broke.
Ok will do, One more thing i noticed looking threw the blue prints on line there is a washer that goes infront of the lock nut, I think i may have lost it, would this be the cause of my problem?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I would NEVER tighten the nut to try and straighten it out. If you can't get it to seat and be straight by just pushing it with your hands then you need to figure out why. Take the stator back off and put the flywheel on without the stator in there to see why it doesn't go on. Turn the crank so that the key is positioned straight up. Examine the key and the keyway for nicks or burrs. Clean the shaft and the bore of the flywheel with solvent. Once you can get it to go on straight by hand without the stator on there, then put the staor in and the flywheel on. Since you positioned the key straight up, you can now position the keyway slot straight up and the flywheel should go on. It will go on straight when everything is right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts