Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I'm new here but I really like this Forum. So I'm hoping to hear some good advice and opinions on the question I have. I purchased a new 2006 F6 SnoPro on December 27, 2006. I absolutely LOVE the sled, but wow, I must say compared to the old Arctic Cat sleds I used to have, the oil situation SUCKS! I filled my oil resevoir right up to almost the cap on Saturday morning as we were planning a good day riding. And with my oil light flashing on some short hauls prior to that, I figured I'll fill her right up. Well, we put on 115 miles on Saturday and about 2 1/2 miles from home, I saw my oil like flash once. Which was telling me that it wasn't long before it started flashing with every bump I hit.

There's going to be rides that will be longer than 115 miles and I've never had to worry about carrying oil on me to go out for a day, but I guess now I have to. No big deal really, just curious if everyone else has to always carry oil on them as well? Let me know, thanks. I dunno

·
Registered
49 Posts
read the post at the top of this forum. It talks about adjusting your oil pump. I did mine the other day, and it helped alot. Plugs look alot better and no more filling the oil everytime I get fuel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:super_happy: Thanks a tonne! I checked that thread out and there's a lot of information there. I think in my case I'll take it to my dealer and ask them to do that. This way too, I won't void any warranty on the sled since I did buy extra warranty.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My dealer always told me that the warranty does not cover the oil pump check. If they find it out of spec, then warranty will pay, but if they check it and it is in spec then I pay. I thought that was a bit of a crap shoot.

Better find out what cat considers to be in spec and check with your dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks CC-rider. I'll be sure to check that then. Gosh, I always knew these machines were hard enough on fuel, but I didn't anticipate that I'd worry more about the oil running out before fuel.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cc-rider @ Jan 22 2007, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My dealer always told me that the warranty does not cover the oil pump check. If they find it out of spec, then warranty will pay, but if they check it and it is in spec then I pay. I thought that was a bit of a crap shoot.

Better find out what cat considers to be in spec and check with your dealer.[/b]
If the marks line up on the pump arm it is considered "in spec" the only problem is that most people find that when the desired 50:1 is attained the marks dont line up anymore. bang your head

·
Registered
568 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Flying Pumpkin @ Jan 22 2007, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey Everyone, I'm new here but I really like this Forum. So I'm hoping to hear some good advice and opinions on the question I have. I purchased a new 2006 F6 SnoPro on December 27, 2006. I absolutely LOVE the sled, but wow, I must say compared to the old Arctic Cat sleds I used to have, the oil situation SUCKS! I filled my oil resevoir right up to almost the cap on Saturday morning as we were planning a good day riding. And with my oil light flashing on some short hauls prior to that, I figured I'll fill her right up. Well, we put on 115 miles on Saturday and about 2 1/2 miles from home, I saw my oil like flash once. Which was telling me that it wasn't long before it started flashing with every bump I hit.

There's going to be rides that will be longer than 115 miles and I've never had to worry about carrying oil on me to go out for a day, but I guess now I have to. No big deal really, just curious if everyone else has to always carry oil on them as well? Let me know, thanks. I dunno[/b]
You don't really say how much oil you used. The low oil lights on some sleds come on way too soon. Maybe yours is one? Do not just go by the light.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<span style="color:#0000FF">Hmmmmm......interesting what you say about maybe the oil light coming on too soon. You're right, every sled, just like every vehicle is different. I know the second time I had the sled out that I ran the oil far enough down that the light came on to stay. And when that happened, the oil level in the bottom of the resevoir was about 1/2 " from the bottom. I wasn't that low as this weekend all I did was go up the side of the ditch at an angle to get around a road allowance and saw a flash of the light. Obviously the angle of the sled and the oil moving off the sensor is what triggered the light briefly, but it was just enough to re-assure me that it was getting low enough to start registering the oil light.</span>

·
Registered
44 Posts
i turned my oil pump down one turn, then tested this weekend. I am now at 76 to 1. Mind you dealer just set the oil pump and said it was good to go ( they had it at about 84 to 1). I doubt the dealers will help you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Flying Pumpkin @ Jan 22 2007, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<span style="color:#0000FF">Hmmmmm......interesting what you say about maybe the oil light coming on too soon. You're right, every sled, just like every vehicle is different. I know the second time I had the sled out that I ran the oil far enough down that the light came on to stay. And when that happened, the oil level in the bottom of the resevoir was about 1/2 " from the bottom. I wasn't that low as this weekend all I did was go up the side of the ditch at an angle to get around a road allowance and saw a flash of the light. Obviously the angle of the sled and the oil moving off the sensor is what triggered the light briefly, but it was just enough to re-assure me that it was getting low enough to start registering the oil light.</span>[/b]
The flickering oil light is so anoying, When I called my dealer after my first trip with my new sled last year and asked them about it they told me they thought AC would have changed that for 06, It doesnt take much to get that light to flicker. I found out that when it stays on you still have almost a half a tank of oil. I turned my oil pump rod one turn this year and it made a HUGE difference in oil consumption and it seemed to get better gas milage too. At 35 bucks a gallon the less oil I have to buy the better. welcome call

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The flickering oil light is so anoying, When I called my dealer after my first trip with my new sled last year and asked them about it they told me they thought AC would have changed that for 06, It doesnt take much to get that light to flicker. I found out that when it stays on you still have almost a half a tank of oil. I turned my oil pump rod one turn this year and it made a HUGE difference in oil consumption and it seemed to get better gas milage too. At 35 bucks a gallon the less oil I have to buy the better. welcome call
[/quote]

Yeah I can say the same too, the light is annoying. However, my my light went on and stayed on, I didn't have much left in my resevoir that's for sure. I could see how yours would drive you mental. I will talk to my AC dealer either way and see what they suggest. With being up here in Canada, the price of a 4L jug of the Synthetic is $54.95. And one jug, by the end of it will have taken me I'd say 300 miles? But it's sad if I put on 115 miles in one day and get the very polite flash of the light once to remind me that I probably should think about heading in the direction of home. I know there'll be days where we'll cover more miles. So that means I'll have to carry some oil with me? AND where in the world am I going to put that? Like there's any storage space on these sleds. That means I'll have to buy a bag of some sort? I guess this is where AC makes there money right? Accessories. :sledder:

·
Registered
44 Posts
S.O.S. oil caddy, holds a quart of oil, and mounts on the side of the chaincase. Works great, make sure you wrap a layer of duct tape around the can so you dont wear a hole in the quart and get a belly pan full of oil.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They do make oil caddys for these sleds.

I would recommend calculating your ratio. Then adjusting your pump. I calculated mine at about 35-1 and found that 2 turns longer on my oil pump rod did the trick. Before my plugs were just about as black as could be, now I got that perfect brown, maybe just a touch on the rich side. Price of the oil is just crazy and that light drove me nuts too, so why not change it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jaydeem @ Jan 22 2007, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think you should be getting aprox 150 miles to a litre.[/b]

Oh see? 150 miles to a litre, that would be 600 miles to the gallon, that would be SWEET! :thumbsup:

I'm definately going to do something about this. I'll give the AC dealer a call and talk to the technicians about this. Maybe call a couple different dealers and talk to different techinicians as I'm sure they all have a different opinion.

So where do I find these oil caddy's? Are they in the AC accessory catalog?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bryonthefly @ Jan 23 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Most any aftermarket parts dealer has them, made by powermadd. works very nice.[/b]

That's super, I'm definately going to find one of those and get it put on my sled. It'll be nice to have some spare oil with me. Clap

I was talking to some other friends that have sleds here and they were emphasizing to me as well to wait regarding the adjustment of the oil pump until the break in period is done. I have about 250 miles on my sled right now. They were saying that the EFI computer will automatically adjust some once the break in period is over too.

What can you guys say about that?

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Flying Pumpkin @ Jan 23 2007, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bryonthefly @ Jan 23 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most any aftermarket parts dealer has them, made by powermadd. works very nice.[/b]

That's super, I'm definately going to find one of those and get it put on my sled. It'll be nice to have some spare oil with me. Clap

I was talking to some other friends that have sleds here and they were emphasizing to me as well to wait regarding the adjustment of the oil pump until the break in period is done. I have about 250 miles on my sled right now. They were saying that the EFI computer will automatically adjust some once the break in period is over too.

What can you guys say about that?

[/b][/quote]

Never heard that one, But I think your smart to at least wait till 500 miles to adjust ANYTHING. Keep tabs on your oil to gas consumption and calculate your average after your break-in. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
49 Posts
considering the oil pump is mechanically hooked up to the throttle bodies, and all the throttle bodies do is control air flow. I'm pretty sure the computer adding or subtracting fuel isn't going to do a thing to your oil consumption.

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jakecease @ Jan 23 2007, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
considering the oil pump is mechanically hooked up to the throttle bodies, and all the throttle bodies do is control air flow. I'm pretty sure the computer adding or subtracting fuel isn't going to do a thing to your oil consumption.[/b]
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts