Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing the oil in the dd on my 06 700cf I noticed a small amount of fluid on floor the next day. After closer inspection the dd case has a small crack at the oil drain plug. It's about 1/4" - 1/2" long. Does any body know if this can be fixed with something like JB weld or do I need a new case half? Going west in 10 days need input ASAP.

Thanks,

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm sure you could use jb weld if you cleaned it up good and sanded the area so it would stick well. But i would say having it welded or replaced would be the better way to go. The jb weld could be used as a temporary fix, just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bigger or leaks more and runs out of fluid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looking at the pic. I would get a small drill bit, and a center punch.

Punch the end of the crack lightly. Drill it about an 1/8" into the metal to stop the crack from spreading.

If you have a Dremel, make a little, I mean VERY little "trench" in the crack. Then use your JB Weld at a temp over 60ºF. Be sure to Brake Clean (the GOOD KIND) or Acetone the area.

My Dad was a Die Maker for 39 years, and my Grandpa 20 years before him, and my brother now. I have picked up a few things over the years. I think if you follow my directions above you will be okay for the rest of the season. I would also put some teflon tape on the drain plug for added measure.

Now, a good welder could TIG it while it's assembled. If you can get a pic of it, a real good fab guy and weld it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts