Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Arctic cat 500 automatic that is having some issues. A customer brought it in as it was shifting into H L N R but not actually transmitting power too the wheels. I took the right side belt cover off and then the clutch cover off. The oil pump housing was practically falling off and all the three bolts were very loose. After taking the bolts the rest of the way out and taking the oil pump housing off, I noticed that the mating surface was cracked as in the pictures attached. Is the engine practically junk or is there any life in it yet? Could this have anything to do with the transmission not working properly?
Please advise...
Thanks, Weston
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Rim Alloy wheel

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
I'm guessing there is some internal damage on the bevel gear or starter clutch. What else could break the case outward? So in 4wd do the front wheels have pulling power? Assuming you have no power to rear wheels?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question, if the ATV is a 2001, what years of engines would the crankcase halves be compatible with the engine we are dealing with? Would a 2005 fit a 2001? And can you only replace one half or do you have to replace both?

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
They are sold as a crankcase assembly with both halves for a mere 1400 bucks. They are machined so I doubt a used half could be used. The assembly you need is 2000-2002 only. Whether a complete Suzuki 500 from a newer machine will fit? Not sure and a lot of research may be needed. Unless someone who has done it pipes in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts