Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to take a short ride on my wifes F5LXR tonight, about 20 miles on our tight twisty bumpy trails around home (before the snow melts, or rain washes it away) I have a couple questions for you guys. First off, Im used to my 05 660 Turbo and the smooth 4 stroke, that in mind here goes: There seems to be a slight, but noticable bog-dead spot at about 4600-5000 +- rpm. Not horrible, but you notice it. Cruising along and you want just a little more, and it sort of jumps you up a little more than you wanted. Now, I still have the original plugs, could that be the trouble? People used to tell me to change plugs after 200-250 miles due to the extra oil added. Or, is it that Im just used to the 4 stroke motor? Next question is about the headlights. Im not too happy with them, cant seem to find an adjustment that suited me, kept stopping to play with them, never did find the sweet spot, am I missing something? The two knobs in the dash are the only adj. correct? Seems to need brighter lights, both high and low beam. Can you do the same mod as you can on the 660 where you wire in a relay to make the low beams stay on when you switch to high beams? Machine was very nice riding, had the seat all the way down, not enough miles to get used to it, but liked it. Different seating position than the 660, knees rest against the tank. Very easy transition from seated to standing! Handles very good, a little darting, but still have the original 4" single carbides on, will change to 4" dualies. Plenty of power for me and the type of riding I do. Love the trunk space. All in all, very nice machine. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
236 Posts
Monkers: I also have an F5 LXR. I know exactly what you mean about the flat spot around 4500 RPM. You pretty much have to get it above 4900 and then away she goes, rather agressively. It is very difficult to take off from a dead stop smoothly. You end up given er to get past the flat spot.

In my opinion, this is caused by a very rich fuel condition from idle to 4900 RPM. Cat messed up the mapping of the fuel injection system and there is too much fuel being put in. Once it gets a bit of RPM up, it starts sucking enough air to overcome the rich condition.

It is annoying, because it makes running in that range very erratic. Either stammering from too much fuel, or accelerating like Hell. Makes it very difficult for the type of person the machine is intended for, such as a beginner.

I think it is running rich through out the entire RPM range, but most noticeable at low RPM. The gas mileage isn't that great for a machine of that size. Something we have to live with. I am not holding my breath for Cat to come up with a reflash of the ECU.

Redd

1 - 2 of 2 Posts